PDA

View Full Version : non US made sharps

bigted
08-01-2011, 09:59 PM
so in the mode of fair play and maybe soothing some feelings ...here is what i propose;

i..as well as many others made the decision [for what ever reason] to purchase a sharps that is not USA built. i have no ax to grind as i made my decision from my point of view and apologize to nobody for it... nor do i feel the need to.

i have read on some of these threads about some that feel slighted for their decision to buy non us built sharps...i am sorry for these feelings and rest assured i do not share these feelings ...however here is a potential place to share our photos of our non us made sharps. maybe this will go some yardage to smooth the 'outcast' feelings i read from time to time.

understand that im not trying to poke anybody with a stick in any way...just more photos of these super fun and great rifles started so long ago and still kicking around.

with no further adieu... here is some photos [ to start this hopefully sticky starter] of my uberty sharps. it is a long range rifle with a 34 inch half round half octagon barrel. it is a pistol grip stock with double set triggers. the sights are stock uberty with no windage adjustment except to drift the front sight.

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy55/bigted1956/ubertysharps001.jpg

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy55/bigted1956/ubertysharps004.jpg

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy55/bigted1956/ubertysharps003.jpg

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy55/bigted1956/ubertysharps002.jpg

so there she is...not the best pictures but maybe its a start for smoothing and uniting shooters of these great rifles.

Don McDowell
08-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Good thread Ted.

NickSS
08-02-2011, 06:02 AM
I am a sharps fanatice if you can be one and not get tossed into the loony bin. I happen to have two Shiloh's, four C. Sharps, two Pedersolli's, one Uberti in cartridge guns and two Armysport and one IAB percussion rifles. So you can see I like sharps. I bought the non-us made ones because of price and they looked good. I have not been disappointed with any of them though they are a bit below the US made ones in fit and finish but then most of them cost ne like half of what a Shiloh cost me and I am much more likely to use them in bad weather than my Shilohs. They shoot as good and I can shoot anything so that is not an issue.

bigted
08-02-2011, 09:11 AM
photos man photos...lol as you can see...mine is not a safe queen, she has nicks n scratches and will continue to gather them as time goes on. not sure if i would want to drag the shilo that i got my eye on thru the same kinda stuff this uberti goes thru but will someday bring home the 6k plus dream i have.......someday...lol

Baja_Traveler
08-02-2011, 10:48 AM
My Pedersoli Creedmoor sitting on my Cocobolo shooting sticks. It's a good shooter, and I have no reservations putting it on the rack next to the high dollar Shilo's at the range...

http://www.pbase.com/baja_traveler/image/135088428.jpg

cajun shooter
08-02-2011, 11:53 AM
A great big CONGRATS on your rifle. She is a very pretty one and I am sure you will have tons of fun shooting it. You may replace that front sight with one that has windage if you wish. That rifle will cut one ragged hole at 100 with the proper load. The wood is very nice looking.

Baja_Traveler
08-02-2011, 12:10 PM
A great big CONGRATS on your rifle. She is a very pretty one and I am sure you will have tons of fun shooting it. You may replace that front sight with one that has windage if you wish. That rifle will cut one ragged hole at 100 with the proper load. The wood is very nice looking.

Yes, I've already discovered that in a stiff side wind I can run out of windage adjustment at longer ranges. A windage adjustable front sight is definitely on my radar...

Tom-ADC
08-02-2011, 01:57 PM
BigTed have to say I like mine fills my needs perfectly.

bob208
08-02-2011, 07:01 PM
i have a garret arms modle 66 carbine in 50-70. i use the old layman 450 gr boolit over 60 gr. 1f. it drops deer.

the other is a sile in .40-65 yes it was relined. it shoots good. was a .45-70 it shot well but the guy that owned it wanted a .40-65

Jon K
08-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Baja,

Cast any boolits with the new PJ mould?

Jon

looseprojectile
08-04-2011, 02:45 PM
I had a Shilo 1874 in 50 70. Serial #625. Then, I did not see it as being very much superior to the less expensive spreads in fit and finish and materials.
Most of the reproduction Sharps will shoot better than anyone can hold. Most will need a little tweaking and tinkering.
I admire those who can afford the high quality guns but they are all reproductions.
I really respect those that shoot the original guns.
I am cash challenged so I feel I get more mileage out of my gun money by buying used and import guns.
In the last few years the import guns have drawn closer in quality and price to the several US made guns.
I have a Pedersoli rolling block 45 70 and a Uberti/Cimarron 40 65 highwall and they both make me smile when I shoot them. I nearly always get compliments when at the range on how beautiful they are and how well they shoot.
Those that are proponents of the US made guns are right when they say you will never regret buying quality, especially tang target sights.
I only regret that I didn't have a plan to be rich in my old age.

Life is good

Baja_Traveler
08-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Baja,

Cast any boolitd with the new PJ mould?

Jon

Not yet - got the rest of Postell's from Tom's mold already loaded, then a bunch of the Govt. boolits to shoot first, once they're gone I'll only use the Jones mold from then on...

The Goose
08-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Like some others, I own some imports and a few high end American made single shots. I love my Pedersoli's. I have 3 Sharps and a rolling block. They all shoot better then I do. Also I bought them all used, but they all looked like new. All four of them cost about the same as one reasonably well appointed Shiloh. I still plan on eventually getting a Shiloh Sharps, but in the meantime I get a lot of enjoyment from my Italian imports.

Pedersoli Quigley 50/90 with MVA midrange soule and Kelly front sight
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l299/sgoselin/BigFifty013.jpg

50/90 round with 700 gr bullet from NEI mold
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l299/sgoselin/BigFifty002.jpg

A view downrange
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l299/sgoselin/BigFifty012.jpg

Pedersoli Long Range Express 45/70
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l299/sgoselin/Sharps002.jpg

And one in 45/120
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l299/sgoselin/45-120007.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l299/sgoselin/45-120004.jpg

Pedersoli Rolling Block 45/70
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l299/sgoselin/RB200005.jpg

GMW
08-04-2011, 10:23 PM
At one time I would have gave my eye teeth to own one of those imported Sharps. Now that I am older, fatter, balder with failing eye sight, I have a Shilo Sharps Military rifle in 45-70.
Life can sometimes be mean!

Stampede
08-05-2011, 04:18 AM
Here’s my Pedersoli Long Range Rifle (.45-120).

In my country (The Netherlands) you can’t buy American made Sharps Rifles, unless you go for the original antique ones bought at an auction. In that case you can buy 3 of more new rifles like mine.

Peter (Stampede)

Boz330
08-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Peter,
After hearing some of your horror stories of gun and reloading regulation in your country, you must have the local constabulary camped at your house. Just reading your list of things you shoot below your post is impressive, even for this country.

Bob

Stampede
08-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Well if you are serious shooter and firearms collector you need to reload and cast your own bullets. You simply have no choice over here, most of the mentioned ammo is not available at the gun stores. Most of my equipment and many components I need to import from the USA. For instance a common cartridge like the 300Win Mag is not regularly on hand, I pay for new factory Winchester rounds (20pcs) about $ 110.— and have to wait about 6 months before it arrives at the store. Do you know how many rounds I can reload for that…..:D

Plus you can't buy any black powder ammo here at all [smilie=b:

I like the classics (antique / obsolete) guns & ammo even better, even making my own cases/brass on the lathe. I only need to buy a die-set. But hey…. I “love” to reload, it’s my No: 1 hobby and an excellent way of complimenting my shooting sport and collecting. If I could not reload a probably had given up the guns a long time ago.

The included picture from my reloading bench shows the die-set boxes on the lower shelf (21 different calibers at this time). And yes the local police shows up regularly to check things out.

Peter (Stampede)

Boz330
08-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Peter, do your police know the good guys from the bad guys or do they treat everybody as bad guys? In the US this would be so foreign to us that it is ridiculous. I lived in South Africa for a while and while there was gun registration it really wasn't much of a hassle. This was in 82' and 83', whole different story now from what I understand.
I hear you on reloading, I shot IPSC for 15+ years and at the height of that was shooting 20,000 to 30,000 rounds a year. I'm kind of a blue collar kind of a guy so there sure wasn't the money to buy ammo in those sort of quantities and remain married. All the best.

Bob

Stampede
08-06-2011, 04:29 AM
Howdy Bob,
The “regular” police/law enforcement and the government treat/see us like criminals. Especially after the very first shooting spree at a mall in the Netherlands (about 6 months ago) and now after the Norway incident even more. These gun man had both permits, now every “legal permit gun holder” is a menace to the society and should give up their guns.

As we speak there are about 9 new laws in the making that will restrict us even more. The first law will be passed thru parliament in September. This law is about mental health vs. gun ownership. Every semi-auto gun owner need a confirmation from a government appointed psygologist to prove that you are not a “nut case”…. So much for privacy!:twisted:

But there is a special police section that is involved with the gun registrations, called: Bureau of Special Laws each Province has one. These police officers are specially trained in the gun laws, firearms identification, interviewing permit holders, and so on. They are not prejudiced and most of the times are well informed. Their job is to check if every gun owner does everyting the right way. At my city (Province) they are very correct and know what they are talking about. The common police officer at the streets and the police commisonars are a whole differtent story. :???:

Peter (Stampede)

missionary5155
08-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Greetings
Here in Peru every desiring gun owner must first have a pscycological exam before you can start the license procedure. Then there are police background checks, INTERPOL, and finally a weapons proficiency test. Then if you have crossed all the T´s correctly you can wait 3 weeks so the papers can be finalised. Each gun permit ends up costing $45 dollars renewable every 3 years by going through the same process.
Mike in Peru

mazo kid
08-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Here is a fairly uncommon Pedersoli that I picked up 5-6 years ago; it's in 45-90 caliber and is fairly heavy so recoil is not a big issue.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/mazokid/45-90Schuetzen002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/mazokid/45-90Schuetzen005.jpg
I have had 4 Shiloh Sharps, still have one in 40-90. I had one of the first Dixie Pedersoli rifles in 40-65 caliber that was a tack driver, very pleasant to shoot....NEVER should have traded that one off!

bigted
08-12-2011, 01:11 AM
very nice. bet that is a shooter!

Stampede
08-12-2011, 04:05 AM
That's a beauty, very nice man !

Red River Rick
08-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Nothing fancy here, just my two Pedersoli's. RB Long Range Creedmore in 45-70 and Sharps Competition in 45-90.

RRR

jacob7
08-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Baja Traveler may I ask what you used for your spikes on the sticks and also for the knob for your adjustments?
Thanks Jacob7

Baja_Traveler
08-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Jacob7 -

The spikes are made from 3/4" stainless angle (Home Depot). I cut them 6" long, then cut a taper 3" long with a hacksaw (3" spikes are the legal limit for BPCR competitions). Did a quick inletting of the wood so they fit flush, and screwed them in with 1/2" and 3/4" wood screws.

The rest of the hardware is from a real true hardware store. The threaded inserts are really cool - a heavy wood thread on the outside, and 1/4 -20 on the inside. Drill a blind hole and thread them in with a hex wrench.

http://upload.pbase.com/image/137179243.jpg

mazo kid
08-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Jacob7 -

The spikes are made from 3/4" stainless angle (Home Depot). I cut them 6" long, then cut a taper 3" long with a hacksaw (3" spikes are the legal limit for BPCR competitions). Did a quick inletting of the wood so they fit flush, and screwed them in with 1/2" and 3/4" wood screws.

The rest of the hardware is from a real true hardware store. The threaded inserts are really cool - a heavy wood thread on the outside, and 10-32 on the inside. Drill a blind hole and thread them in with a hex wrench.

http://upload.pbase.com/image/137179243.jpg

Great ideas!

jacob7
08-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks they look great and thanks for the info

bigted
09-04-2011, 09:38 AM
ok so i know there have to be more non-us made sharps and buff guns out there. seems like there are mentions of many having such rifles so kick down here...lets see them and hear about the shooting and maybe see some targets to go along with those sweet shooters.

the us made guns have a lead on us so far in responses with photo's of their guns...gotta be more lurking about so lets get em spotted here !!!8-)...[smilie=1:...:drinks:...:Fire:...:coffeecom

martinibelgian
09-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Westley Richards ZAR Martini action, Eichelberger barrel, chambered in #2 Musket. Still a work in progress, nees some polishing and blueing.
http://users.telenet.be/Gert.Claes1/MatchZAR.jpg

Lead pot
09-04-2011, 03:50 PM
If we ain't careful we will have the same regulations here.

By the way my first reproduction sharps was a Italian Import. I got it 15-16 years ago?? I now have 7 Shiloh's because the Import nickeled and dimed me to death because of soft and parts to hard.
I cant say anything bad about the way they shot if I wasn't waiting for replacement parts.

rbertalotto
09-04-2011, 04:46 PM
I had a Shiloh Sharps a few years ago. 45-70. It shot OK but I wasn't casting boolits at the time and it just wasn't the right time for big slow lead as I was deep into Benchrest (6PPC, 6BR, etc) and Handgun Silhouette. I sold it for a few $$ more than I paid as the wait at the time was nearly two years for a new one.

Recently I renewed my interest in the years 1860-2000. Reading everything I can on the "Buffalo Years" and realized that I was born 100 years too late! Darn!

So I went out and bought two rifles. A Winchester BPCR in 45-70 and a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps in 45-70. You really can't enjoy these guns unless you are casting your own boolits so a huge investment in "stuff" and I'm now a caster and blaster.

I bought the 1885 new in the box, but the Sharps was bought used from Cabelas. I have no idea what model I have.

The Sharps EASILY out-shoots the Winchester. At 200 yards with a 6X scope (see picture) I'm shooting consistent 1.5 - 2" groups for 5 shots! The Winchester is double that. (I never had a scope on the Shiloh, but with a MVA tang site it would shoot 3" if my eyes were up to it)

http://images58.fotki.com/v132/photos/2/36012/9654765/DSC_2952-vi.jpg

http://images9.fotki.com/v114/photos/2/36012/9730091/DSC_3033-vi.jpg

Plenty more pictures here in photo album:
www.rvbprecision.com

myfriendis410
09-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Here's my Billy Dixon Pedersoli in 45/70, given to me on my 50th Birthday by my best friend. Attached is a representative group shot after a 3 month load development exercise. The rifle has a Taylor tang sight on it now (hopefully with an upgrade next spring).

13Echo
09-04-2011, 07:41 PM
I have a Pedersoli 45-90 Long range rifle and I've been able to closely compare it to the Big Timber rifles.

The Pedersoli action is very well made and the barrel is match quality. The metal is well finished and fitted. Inletting on the stock is excellent with no gaps. The stock is of good dense european walnut but the grain layout through the wrist is not particularly good and the sanding was rather poorly done with some dished surfaces. I've noticed this on several, not all, Pedersolis I've handled. The forend has the peculiar Pedersoli perch belly that just doesn't look quite right on a Sharps.

The several Shiloh and Christian Sharps rifles I've seen and handled had slightly better finish on the metal but not by much. The actions are comparable and the Pedersoli gives up nothing here. The true case colors (not the chemical type) of the Shiloh are brighter than the Pedersoli but the Pedersoli case colors, despite being drab look better in my opinion than the rather garish chemical colors on the Big Timber rifles. The Shiloh and Christian Sharps rifles wood was selected to have proper grain through the wrist and the finished surfaces were true.

The Pedersoli rifles are fine, well made, and accurate rifles for targets or hunting and no one should be embarrassed to own one. They are as accurate as any BPCR rifle you can buy off the shelf and better than most. They do need to be more careful in selecting and finishing the wood.

Are the Shiloh and Christian Sharps rifles worth the extra money? I would have to say yes if you want a rifle that is semi custom and made to your order and specifications (within certain limits of course) and you appreciate the extra fit and finish and are willing to pay the premium. By the way I still don't have a Shiloh and I'm quite happy with my Pedersoli. Someday, though, I think I just might have to pay the extra.

Jerry Liles

Jerry Liles

TXGunNut
09-23-2011, 12:07 AM
This non-US made Sharps got me into the cast-boolit game so this thread is important to me. I bought this rifle from the estate of a colorful old friend and have it on good authority that it's a good shooter. It's a Pedretti & Sons replica imported by EMF, barrel is marked CAL. 45/70 U.S. GOV. but it has a nice & tight .45-90 chamber, not too unusual it seems. Wood is decent, fit is good, only failure so far is the mainspring. That was an adventure!
I tried five or six mail-order bullets before I realized I'd have to cast my own. Bought a rather comprehensive casting ensemble and it sat in boxes during some difficult times. First boolits came after months of research and interviews of boolit casters and the results were better than anything I could buy. Still looking for my pet load but the parameters are rather strict: BP, cast boolits, no petroleum products.
I've been distracted by the usual work/food/shelter diversions and a few other firearms projects-including some very exciting CB projects-but I haven't been able to give this little beauty the attention it's due.

RMulhern
09-23-2011, 11:44 PM
The 'Dagos' have never learned how to make a Sharps forearm!!