PDA

View Full Version : Range Report: 121 year-old Winchester 45-70

KirkD
08-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Over the last couple of years, I developed a hankerin’ for an original Winchester Model 1886 with a full octagon barrel, crescent butt, full mag, and in 45-70 caliber. I put the word out and within a few weeks I was talking with a fellow who had one for sale. We arranged to meet in a nearby town and after a short round of negotiations, the old classic was mine. It had been received in the Winchester warehouse on July 1st, 1890 and shipped August 4th, 1890. It is completely original and has never been messed with ..... no refinished stocks, no re-blued metal, no extra holes and no initials carved in the wood. It was as honest as the day is long.

A couple months ago, I came across an old stash of 405 grain cast bullets that had gas checks on them. I pretty much always use plain base bullets, so I wanted to see how they would do against some plain base, 405 grain bullets I have. I ended up with three different loads to try, one with the gas check bullets and two with the plain base bullets. Here is the report ....

The rifle: here’s a photo ....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/Desktop%20Photos/86-close-up-800.jpg

Sights: original iron sights.

Set-up: I rested the rifle on my shooting bag, which was sitting on a short piece of 2 x 12 to bring it to the right height. This is my regular set-up when I want to test how accurate one of my old Winchesters is. Here is a photo of the old ’86 on my shooting set-up ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/86-range.jpg

Load #1: 405 grain gas checked bullet over 26 grains of 5744 for 1,373 fps
I set up a couple targets at 100 yards, walked back to the bench and started shooting. There was only one other fellow at the range, shooting at a target at 50 yards with a scope. I fired three shots at each target and sometime during that first round, the fellow stopped shooting and was watching the targets through his spotting scope. When I finished, he was pretty excited and said I had some real good groups. He was amazed at how well these old open iron sights work. I went down to change my targets and have to admit that I was fairly pleased as well with the performance of this old rifle. This load consistently puts three shots into about 1” or slightly less at 100 yards with open iron sights. I’m sure I could do better if I had a scope, but I won’t be putting no scope on this old ’86 for sure. If you ever hear tell that I’m about to put a scope on it, take me out behind the barn and give me a good whuppin’. Here’s a shot of one of the targets ....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/Range%20Results/GC-target.jpg

Load #2: 22 grains of 2400 under a plain base 405 grain bullet for 1,351 fps.
This is my standard load. I was expecting it to be a little less accurate, simply because it was a plain base bullet with no gas check. I shot three targets. The first two groups were closer to 2 & ¼” at 100 yards, but my last target was a little better ..... three shots into 15/16” at 100 yards. Here’s a photo of that target .....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/Range%20Results/2400-target.jpg

Load #3: 26 grains of 5744 under a plain base 405 grain bullet for 1,370 fps.
I was least optimistic about this load, because of the lower pressure spike that would be generated by 5744, which might not bump the bullet up as well to seal off the bore. Sure enough, both groups were around 2 & 5/16” at 100 yards. Here’s a shot of one of the targets with this load ....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/Range%20Results/5744-PB-target.jpg

I need to tweak the sights a bit, mostly in elevation and a wee bit in windage, then I’m ready to start practicing free-standing, offhand shooting with this old Winchester.

williamwaco
08-01-2011, 08:33 PM
I am impressed with the shooting but lots of people here do good shooting.

I am enthralled with the photography, That is seriously good work.

tcrocker
08-01-2011, 08:34 PM
That's one nice looking rifle!!! And if you plain to hunt with it that's minute of deer all day long. Congrats on getting the old 86.

missionary5155
08-02-2011, 05:29 AM
Good morning
How I enjoy seeing the origonals being used. I would be staining my cheek muscles smiling with that 86 !
I would personally do a bit of research into the throat area. I have several old Winchesters to include an 86 & 76 and they all have fat throats to accomidate the black powder fouling that clogs up throats. I found they all shoot better with a fat throat filling boolit. The 76 is a .45-60 that really shoots better with a .462. Then there is a 73 .32WCF that must have a .315 and on the story goes with fat boolits shooting far better. A case filling to the base of the boolit pile of COW helps also.
Mike in Peru

GARCIA
08-02-2011, 05:39 AM
KirkD, I have one also but it was made in 1892. Half octagon, half round in 45-90. It still kills deer here in Georgia.

My only problem is I have two boys!! The weapon has been passed down through the generations to the oldest son so they are both arguing over it.

Tom

Swampman
08-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the report.

beretzs
08-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks for posting that! What a piece of history that rifle is! Excellent shooting with the old iron sights. That is one awesome rifle! Scotty

WARD O
08-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Very nice rifle and great job of getting it what it needs to shoot well!

I like shooting the old ones as well.

Ward

KirkD
08-02-2011, 04:46 PM
I would personally do a bit of research into the throat area. ru

That makes sense. I'll bet you might be right about that.