PDA

View Full Version : 9mm leading question

colt 357
07-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Hi been lurker for awhile but now I joined. I been cast for a couple of years now. Started with my black podwer guns. Hard to find conical bullets here for it and started casting them. Then decided to start on my .40 cal worked up a good load that dont lead for that thanks to this forum.
Now I am working on my 9mm. First my bore slugs at .356. I am cast from a lee 356 120 tc mold that is dropping slugs at .358. Then I sized to .356 and loaded at 4.3 grs of unique and got barrel leading.
Thought I might be pushing to slow to seal the base of the bullet so I uped it to 4.7 grs of unique. Now this reduced the leading and it was very easy to remove with just a copper brush and hoppes.
Now I think I may of went to small sizing the bullet should I get a .357 or a .358 sizing die. I know there dropping at .358 but would like to pass them thought a sizing die if I do go .358 just to keep thing uniform.
I do have some of the .356 pan lube bullets left to load if someone has any loads that may help with the leading. I would like to use up instead of melting back down.
sorry dont have a way to check for hardness yet. That is one of the things on my dear santa list.
thanks for all the help you guys have been and look foward to learning more as I take this reloading and casting to the next step.

skeet1
07-31-2011, 05:30 PM
I would try an unsized bullet into the mouth of a fired case, one fired in your gun and see if it fits freely. If it did I would then pan lube some without sizing and shoot them and see if that solves your leading problem.

Ken