PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 245498

Newtire
01-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Hi all,
Got around to shooting some cast boolits in my son's .243 last weekend. I tried a load of 12 gr. Alliant 2400 with the 245498 boolit. At least the holes were round going thru but were spread out around 2" @ 50 yds. The condom 100 gr. loads I shot later were about 3/8" CTC. Just wondered if anyone has any experience with this slug? I know the most I've seen is that some guys are using the nice Loverin designs. Just curious as to what to expect. It looks a bit long in the front to be forgiving about anything. Here's a picture of the thing. Hardened WW, Felix lubed, sized .244"

Bullshop
01-15-2007, 11:21 PM
My son Nathan age 9 shot two groups today with his brand new stevens mod 200 in 243. He was shooting the rcbs 100gn that looks almost identicle to your boolit. He was shooting the same powder but 15gn with a large pistal primer. One was a win primer the other was a cci but each three shot group at 100 yards measured .802". He has been working on this load by himself each day after school. He has done all the loading by himself only asking advice when needed. I am pleased!!! God willing I will post a pic tomarrow.
BIC/BS

Newtire
01-15-2007, 11:27 PM
My son Nathan age 9 shot two groups today with his brand new stevens mod 200 in 243. He was shooting the rcbs 100gn that looks almost identicle to your boolit. He was shooting the same powder but 15gn with a large pistal primer. One was a win primer the other was a cci but each three shot group at 100 yards measured .802". He has been working on this load by himself each day after school. He has done all the loading by himself only asking advice when needed. I am pleased!!! God willing I will post a pic tomarrow.
BIC/BS

Thanks Bullshop for the info. Maybe will try going up a bit then.

Bullshop
01-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Here is the target Nathan shot yesterday. He made the target too. He has an old Bushnell 3x9 and a good set of 9 year old eyes. I have since told him if he used a circle he would be able to see the center of the target. With the black squaires he used the thick cross haires kinda block out the center. Still some good work from a fella his age and doing all the loading and load development on his own. All I did was cast the boolits for him.
Gotta love them $235.00 Stevens. This is a new out of the box 243. Nathan told me yesterday he now has 138 shots through the barrel, all boolits.
BIC/BS
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/P1010017-1.jpg

Newtire
01-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Still have memories of my boy with a batman action figure shooting boolits out of my old Spingfield. One day he was shooting tin cans at the tin can range and a guy next to us complained about him shooting their cans. I politely said "Oh, I am sorry." Inside though, I was thinking, "If you could hit them with your AK-47 maybe he wouldn't have to shoot them for you".