PDA

View Full Version : .22 Rimfire Colt 1911

Grapeshot
07-31-2011, 07:43 AM
Has anyone on the forum seen a Colt .22 Rimfire M1911? I saw an advertisement in the last issue of the American Rifleman and thought it would great to have as a cheap ammo eater for practice.

Ziptar
07-31-2011, 10:59 AM
I can't beleive anyone hasn't. Google is your friend!

Colt made the Ace and Ace II Conversions. (http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/colt_ace.htm)
Kimber Conversion (http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/rimfire/rimfire-target-conversion-kit)
Marvel Precision Conversion (http://www.marvelprecision.com/)
Ciener 1911A1 .22LR Conversion Unit (http://www.22lrconversions.com/1911-pg.htm)
Advantage Arms (http://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AASOS&Category_Code=1911)
A long time ago SOG imported a bunch of Argentine Colt Contract Sistema 1927s in .22 LR They show up now and again.
Chiappa Makes a .22 LR "1911" (http://chiappafirearms.com/product/735). they are cheap, I've not shot one but, I hear they cheap for a reason, lots of pot metal. The gunblast guy likes it. (http://www.gunblast.com/Chiappa1911-22.htm)

Babalooie
07-31-2011, 11:38 AM
I work part time in a gun shop and get to see all kinds of guns.

A company called, German Sport Guns (GSG) makes a 1911 type pistol that shoots .22lr ammo. I have handled one but not fired it. It has the weight of a 1911 and, I've been told it shoots like a dream and is not all that expensive.

I have a .22lr conversion unit, really just a slide and magazine, that my family and I enjoy shooting. It's made by Johnathan Arthur Ceiner in Florida. I've spoken with Mr. Ceiner on the phone and had a nice conversation with him. Others have said he is difficult to talk with on the phone. Regardless, the gun fires well with any ammo and provides hours of enjoyment.

Previously, I had an ACE II conversion kit, sold by Colt. Didn't like it as it required CCI Stingers in order for it to function properly. Since the slide is aluminum, it took a heavy pounding from the stingers. Not only that, the magazines are expensive (around $50 last time I checked) and after market mags wouldn't work.

Which ever one you get, make sure you get extra magazines. You'll most likely need them, or else will be spending a lot of time reloading.

Oh, yeah. Browning is supposed to come out with a 1911 that will shoot .22 ammo. It is supposed to retail for around a thousand dollars.

If it doesn't have to be a 1911 clone, Browning makes the Buck-Mark. I've owned several and enjoyed using them.

cajun shooter
07-31-2011, 12:02 PM
I had a 22 conversion by Colt for over 10 years and loved it. It lets you enjoy plenty of cheap shooting. The biggest thing is to feed it high velocity ammo. The cheap ammo will cause all kinds of jambs and failure to fire, eject and so on. I am sorry that I let mine go for another gun.

bobthenailer
07-31-2011, 07:11 PM
I had a Colt 22 lr conversion kit back in the early 80s with the floating chamber ! what a dissapointment it was a plinker at best , not very accurate .
i now have a kimber 22 lr conversion kit that im very happy with! but I woud perfer if it would lock the slide back after the last shot.

pincherpartner
07-31-2011, 07:16 PM
I think Grapeshot was referring to the Colt branded Umarex 1911 in .22
http://www.colt22rimfire.com/ and http://www.colt22rimfire.com/index.php?page=colt-1911

It looks cool, but no I have not handled one . . . yet :bigsmyl2:

Here's some more detail as well http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=86

doubs43
07-31-2011, 09:00 PM
I have one of the Argentine converted 1927 'Systema" Colts that was made for the Buenos Aires police from a military .45. Now a .22, it uses a floating chamber just as the Colt Ace and gives the approximate recoil of a .45 ACP. I bought an extra mag and it has proven to be 100% reliable. The only fly in the ointment is that it shoots high and the sights are fixed. The Argentine converted pistols have become desirable collector pieces.

I recently purchased a GSG 1911-22 which is the same size as a 1911 and similar in weight. With cartridges it likes, it's reliable and quite accurate for a plinker. It shot high with the middle front sight (it comes with 3 inserts) so I replaced that insert with the high one. As soon as I can get back to the range, I'll sight it in and should have a very fun gun. They run in the $350 range new. You can read my review in this same section.

lgvenable
07-31-2011, 11:20 PM
Most of the cheaper 22 folks are making are from Umarex and I'm assuming the Colt is too. If I'm wrong; then perhaps this doesn't apply.

My GSG5P is a fun pistol/rfle to fire, and looks like an MP5 deadnuts. However if you like potmetal, you'll lke the alloy. Thats my only complaint from Umarex produced GSG, Colts, Walthers etc.; as potmetal makes the overall look under the pretty exterior to look cheap

The GSG5P is accurate, so I'll assume the Colt 1911will be too. BTW Umarex makes a pellet version too:

http://www.umarexusa.com/product/Colt-Government-1911,42,36.htm

doubs43
08-01-2011, 01:53 AM
Most of the cheaper 22 folks are making are from Umarex and I'm assuming the Colt is too. If I'm wrong; then perhaps this doesn't apply.

As I understand it, the Colt 1911 .22 is an Umarex manufactured pistol. The German Sporting Guns (GSG) 1911-22 is made by GSG, a completely different company.

NuJudge
08-07-2011, 12:19 PM
The US military converted a lot of 1911 pistols to .22LR. I shot the Small Arms Firing School (Pistol) with one about 1990. Long, creepy, gritty trigger pull, but still shot Expert.

wildwilly
08-07-2011, 12:47 PM
I have enjoyed taking my old 22lr Colt conversion to the hunter silhouette matches for years. Quite often, I can clean the chickens when I get into a rhythm. Mine is reasonably accurate with Federal Value Pack HPs.

Four Fingers of Death
08-09-2011, 11:42 PM
I haven't seen one of the 'Colts' in the flesh, they are advertising them here (about the same price as a plain garden variety Glock for a reference).

A few guys at the local club bought the Chippawa or whatever it is. They were less than hald the price of the Colts, but took heaps of fiddling to get them going.

I have Ceiner which I haven't got around to using yet, but a few bought teh STI 22 Conversions and I have used those and they work a treat!

If you already own a 1911 a conversion might make more sense.

The Colt is creating a lot of interest amongst my pistol shooting friends, but everyone is reluctant to buy one until we see what they are like, lol.

bigbore3x
06-01-2013, 11:11 PM
I recently picked up the colt rail gun 22lr, and love it. super fun, only problem was in finding spare mags. after 3 weeks of searching, got 2 spares from botach tactical, at msrp, but I didn't need a rape whistle. they are on ebay and gunbroker as well as other sites for 80$ and up EACH. A lot of websites advertised them only to find at checkout, out w/no backorder. I really hate to send my money to any business fruity enough to reside in a 2A non friendly state, sometimes compromise is best! ordered them last week, received them today, yay. My rail gum hasn't hiccupped, eats anything I feed her and purty darn accurate too, gotta love a squirrel gun that fits holsters I already own.

Four Fingers of Death
06-01-2013, 11:47 PM
It is funny that this thread re-appeared today, I just got back from the range and one of my friends was running in his new Colt Gold Cup 22. A beautiful pistol. I had a shot of it, it was reluctant to go into battery fully a few times, but I suppose that will sort itself out. It looks like a 1911 with all of the bells and whistles, beavertail grip safety, etc. Lovely looking gun. It did have two tiny dots where the black finish was showing the aluminium frame through though, I don't know how it will go in the long run. They are advertising them here as being made by Walther and they show up on the Walther site;

http://www.waltherarms.com/products/tactical-rimfire-replicas/1911-a1-gold-cup/

The sights were nice for target work, big open sight at the back and blade foresight. I would love these sights on my 1911s. It had a metal mag as opposed to most of the conversions I have seen with polymer/plastic moulds.

If I didn't already have a Ciener conversion and the **** out of my pants, I would buy one of these in a heartbeat.

Two guys at the range have the Chippy whatevers. They look good, feel good, but both guys have had all sorts of dramas getting them to work properly. I think if you are not good at tinkering, I'd be staying away from these. I can't say how it went accuracy wise as I was shooting 25yards at a rifle target with a tiny aiming point and got busy as range captain and forgot to check the target. I will be back there tomorrow and if I think of it, I will have a look.

I loved the Gold Cup set up, but wouldn't a rail gun with a tactical torch be tops for small vermin spotlighting!

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeee gun! I want one baddddddd!

Forrest r
06-02-2013, 09:32 AM
I've owned several different colt conversion kits over the years. There ok for plinking but when you get down to it the marvel unit 1's are the way to go.

These things are like lasers with a quality match ammo.

Four Fingers of Death
06-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Marvel-lous!

shdwlkr
06-02-2013, 12:16 PM
browning does have a 1911 in 22lr it is like a 75% model 1911 I ended up laying away a full size 1911 with the Ceiner conversion.

Four Fingers of Death
06-02-2013, 08:50 PM
The Browning does look good, but I find the full sized 1911 to be a bit small for my hands and get a bite from it when not paying attention. I'd have to handle one of these before plonking money down. I suppose they are around the same price as the Colt 22s. Nice looking gun. Make a great gift for a teenager or a lady!

shdwlkr
06-03-2013, 09:26 AM
4 fingers
I have had one in my hand and the chance of getting bit with the browning 22 is very good for me and yes I have hands that are on the large side. I even asked how much it would be to put a larger beaver tail or grip safety as I see they now call it. Would have cost more than the pistol.

That is why I went the root that I did. Full sized 1911 with the 22 lr accessories, something big enough to not bite me when I fire it. My primary carry is a 1911. I like the idea of a big slow moving projectile that hits hard.

Four Fingers of Death
06-03-2013, 10:55 AM
As I said, I have the Ciener conversion on my 1911s. The Colt that I handled at the range the other day seemed to be full sized, but I didn't have a normal 1911 to compare it to.

For realistic practice, the conversion would be the way to go, butttttttttt, the Browning is a lovely little gun. The sort of thing that would be perfect for a youngster or teenager.

I won't be buying one anytime soon,short of a lottery win!

shdwlkr
06-03-2013, 12:07 PM
I have to keep my young son from seeing one as he most likely would want it.
He has small hands right now and it would fit real nice
He has dad paying for other things at the moment, like a scope for his rifle and his sister will not be out done. Ha Ha got to love kids that like what dad likes
As to buying one the 1911 and Ciener conversion set me back some bucks but I am happy with my choice. I could have picked up a full sized 1911 22 Lr pistol for $2200 but that is out of price range nice pistol though. My lgs keeps me broke most of the time and I send a lot of business their way as they are a good shop.

Four Fingers of Death
06-03-2013, 11:33 PM
HaHa! Great problem to have.

bobthenailer
06-04-2013, 09:34 AM
a friend has a new colt 1911 gold cup 22lr pistol it functions fine and accuracy is good the only down side is the heavy trigger pull and it hasent gotten better after a few thousands rounds , its so heavy when you start to pull the trigger you stop to see if the saftey is still enguaged, its that heavy ! im guessing over 7 lbs , on the + side the slide locks back after the last shot .
he says he's getting a trigger job

Four Fingers of Death
06-04-2013, 10:22 PM
My mate's seemed ok from memory, but he did have a big trigger shoe on it. He may have had a job done on it. I never thought to ask, as I was the Range Officer, took up his offer of a 10 round mag, fired it, admired it, returned it and went off to do something else.

shotstring
06-05-2013, 04:00 AM
I always used a KART conversion on mine, now discontinued. Made a Colt 1911 frame shoot slightly better than a Smith & Wesson model 41.