PDA

View Full Version : I have 4,200 pounds of lead...

Goatlips
01-15-2007, 06:50 PM
...bolted to the bottom of a 33' sailboat. Has anyone junked a big boat for the scrap lead and aluminum? My old Irwin has been neglected in its cradle for a few years now and it looks like I'll never sail it again. I don't think it's worth more than a few thousand bucks as a boat, but the ballast might be worth smelting down, if I could figure out what to do with the rest of her.

Would this be worth considering? The lead is probably close to pure, as I'm told that's how they poured them in 1973..... Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.

Goatlips

OLPDon
01-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Goatlips:
Sounds like you got yourself a Boat you could turn into a Casting Country Cabin
or State Room. With all that fine aged wood slavage I bet you transform it into some fine things for the casting and reloading bench. Worst case synerio there better then Buffow Chips, kind of like Brain tanning Deer Hides with there everything is there.
As for 4,200 lbs that must make quite a big pile of lead. Guess you could also turn that boat into a storage shed for lead.
All the above is possible infin you don't also have a "She Who Must Be Obeyed" around the Home. If so I would turn that Boat to Batchlors Quarters!
Don
PS I'm sure you could always send that Lead to Fellow Cast Boolits Members

ron brooks
01-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Well, at 30 cents a pound which seems to be what recylers sale lead/wheel weights for, 4200 pounds comes to $1260.00 just for the lead. If you factor in the aluminum, and probably some brass and even some other parted out pieces, I would say go for it. That ballast should keep you in boolits for SASS shooting for quite a while. :-)

Ron

357maximum
01-15-2007, 08:18 PM
:drinks: Bonfire party at GoatLips house....bring beer, a ladle, and some ingot moulds.[smilie=1: :twisted:

mike in co
01-15-2007, 08:20 PM
is this goatlips for over in the ar15.com forum ?? nice to see ya....i think i would do as had been suggested.... keep the lead....or move some of it with the other salvageable stuff..........could build a nice fitted loading room with that fine wood.

mike

piwo
01-15-2007, 08:36 PM
During the infancy of the Revolutionary War, a huge lead statue of King George was melted down to make ammunition for the continental army by the women’s auxiliary, I believe it was Boston, but could have been Philadelphia. The statue weighed several tons, and was a godsend because lead and powder were two commodities the continental were always in dire short supply of.

So this boat business seems to have great promise, and the cleverness of the task is not without historical foundation!

leftiye
01-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Goat lipz-

Last I priced lead for ballast, they wanted $1.75 per lb. May make that lead worth more than the rest of the boat.

Springfield
01-15-2007, 11:19 PM
I bought 1600 lbs of lead froma guy salvaging out his boat. He had already removed it and cut it up into 100 pound or thereabouts pieces. Got it for 30 cents a pound. It's all alloyed ingots now! Kind of a pain melting it down though. You could only do one piece at a time, then let it cool before putting in another piece. Didn't want to drop one in a pot of molten lead. He used his Skilsaw to cut it up. Found a couple of bit eyebolts in the lead, plus 1 connecting rod to some medium size engine.

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-16-2007, 01:03 AM
when a good boat dies a humiliating death over something as trivial as saving a few $$$ for lead to "throw away" a couple hundred grains at a time. I wanted a small sailboat badly as a kid growing up. So have thousands of other young people. This is about like saying you have a 4X wood stock but you are short toothpicks for a Superbowl Party, so what would we think if you just removed the wood from the barrelled action and made toothpicks for the bash. The boat has to be worth more to sell to someone with a dream of owning one than as scrap parts.

This just the saddest thing I have ever seen posted anywhere on a sporting website.

Rich
:( :( :( :( :(

KYCaster
01-16-2007, 01:03 AM
If you want to cut lead with a Skillsaw, you have to keep the blade cool and lubricated. Doesn't take long for heat to build up to the point the lead melts and causes the blade to bind. Mineral spirits works well, but you have to have a helper to squirt it on the blade while you're cutting.

I've heard a chainsaw will also work.....just fill the oil tank with mineral spirits and have at it.

Oh....and figure out some way to catch the sawdust, it piles up pretty quick and I wouldn't want it scattered around in the grass in my back yard.

Jerry

Rottweiler
01-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Bonfire party at GoatLips house....bring beer, a ladle, and some ingot moulds. I'll donate a fresh killed wild pig for barbecuing purposes at the ingoting party...:drinks:

Springfield
01-19-2007, 12:43 PM
The boat I bought the lead from was rotted out and unusable. It is better to scrap out the good lead and brass instead of putting it in a landfill somewhere.

psychobubba
01-19-2007, 01:20 PM
:drinks: Bonfire party at GoatLips house....bring beer, a ladle, and some ingot moulds.[smilie=1: :twisted:

:drinks: :Fire: :castmine: ill bring deer and walleye