PDA

View Full Version : Negligent casting

TinCan Assassin
07-30-2011, 08:29 PM
I had to go to the ER last week. I was smelting down some range scrap, and like an idiot I didn't wear eyepro. Tinsel Fairy hit me in the eye. Luckily (?!) only the white, and I didn't lose my vision. I have a first degree burn on that part of my eye, and a few other spots on my face. I can always be used as an example of what not to do. I blame myself. Not gonna stop casting though. :oops: :shock:

whisler
07-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Glad things weren't any worse.

GP100man
07-30-2011, 08:50 PM
TCA

Glad ya were`nt burn`t no more than you were !!!!!

But this hobby we have has rules & when we break em consequinses can be dramatic & permanent!!

I may go bare armed or without gloves ,but I`ll take time to go get glasses!!

Get ya self another pot so when 1s on the heat it`s coolin then add the scrap to a cool pot

williamwaco
07-30-2011, 09:39 PM
You are on borrowed time now.

Please do not skip any more safety rules.

If you are blinded, you will not be able to read my magnificent postings.

41 mag fan
07-30-2011, 10:01 PM
PPE. They're made for a reason. They teach us safety safety safety on the job at work since I work a highly hazardous if not deadly job when safeties are ignored. Once its preached and you see accidents that can/could be avoided, it'll carry over to safety at home.

Unfortunatley people ignore PPE's till its too late.

Luckily you get a second chance.

olafhardt
07-30-2011, 10:56 PM
There seems to be a tendancy here for people to tell on themselves. I told of shooting my chrony. We also tell of our failures as well as successes. I think this adds greately to value of this sight and is often entertaining.

wallenba
07-30-2011, 11:02 PM
I used to forget safety glasses too. Then I got old and have to wear them just to see what I'm doing. Protected de facto.

Le Loup Solitaire
07-31-2011, 12:57 AM
Proper eye protection is a given. In addition I fashioned a shield that resembles a big ping-pong paddle, out of 1/4" plywood that has a 9" aluminum pie plate fastened on the side facing the pot. When adding an ingot or scrap lead I hold it place just in case there is any kind of problemo so that any eruption is shielded/deflected. Getting burned or spattered is not fun. LLS

Southern Son
07-31-2011, 03:12 AM
Good to hear that you are going to be alright and you ain't gining up. I am in the same boat as wallenba, If I don't have my "Safety Glasses" on, then I will not be able to see what I am doing wrong.

ColColt
07-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Hot lead has a way of finding those areas you didn't protect. It's like a liquid seeking to go from an area of high concentration to low concentration. Wasn't that osmosis? I recall all too vividly many years ago when I first started this and when sandals were in vogue to have the audacity of casting in them. After a splash or two, that 700 degree lead found it's way to my feet between two toes. You talk about doing the funky chicken!! I couldn't get them shoes off quick enough...lessons learned.

357shooter
07-31-2011, 10:51 AM
Sorry about the burns, glad is wasn't worse.

Philngruvy
07-31-2011, 11:29 AM
My father always used the expression " experience is the best teacher".
I am glad your injuries were not more severe. Take care, be careful.

tomf52
07-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Thank God you are OK. Be careful.

jlchucker
07-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Glad you're going to be OK. Now, if you haven't done so already, go to the local hardware store and buy one of those plastic full-face shields. Eye protection in our game is essential for everyone who has more intelligence than a mushroom.

williamwaco
07-31-2011, 12:35 PM
I fashioned a shield that resembles a big ping-pong paddle, out of 1/4" plywood that has a 9" aluminum pie plate fastened on the side facing the pot.

When adding an ingot or scrap lead I hold it place just in case there is any kind of problem so that any eruption is shielded/deflected.

LLS

That is a fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing.

If you don't have any scrap plywood, you could use a paint stirring stick.

Charlie Two Tracks
07-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Glad to hear you'll be ok. Dang but that was a close one! I don't think most of us are used to 700 degree plus material. That is twice the heat used to cook most stuff in the oven. When I was done casting I used to cull the boolits and drop them back into the pot. One day I had taken my gloves off and was dropping a boolit into the mix and got just a tiny piece of lead on the palm of my hand. It just melted in. It looked like a speck but later the burn increased in size and pain. 700 deg. lead burns quick and deep. I don't want no part of that!

stubert
07-31-2011, 02:38 PM
When you get to comfortable doing something, You lower your guard, thats when You get hurt. I am in the outdoor power equipment business. I very rarley see a homeowner get hurt using a peice of equip. The Pro's are the ones that get injured because they lose thier respect of something that can hurt you.

johnho
07-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident. As I was reading your post I all of a sudden realized I was casting without a safety glass for my right eye. Had just had cataract surgey in my right eye and as it healed and swelling went down I had to take the corrective lens out of that eye glass. So I've been running around with lens on left eye frame and none it right. Damn. Never noticed it as my sight has so improved in that eye. Never even gave it a thought as I have worn glasses for so long. You helped me out. thanks.

TinCan Assassin
08-02-2011, 12:31 AM
The funniest thing was the first question out of the mouth of the guy taking care of me at the hospital was, "You reload? What kind of press do you use?"

nicholst55
08-02-2011, 01:30 AM
I used to forget safety glasses too. Then I got old and have to wear them just to see what I'm doing. Protected de facto.

If I understand you correctly, you are figuring that your regular prescription glasses are equivalent to safety glasses. They most definitely are NOT! I used to feel the same way, right up until a polishing tip launched off my Dremel and slipped under/around my glasses and struck me in the eye. Fortunately, I wasn't seriously injured.

Now I wear either safety goggles or safety glasses with side guards that completely cover my regular glasses whenever I'm working on anything more dangerous than a piece of paper. I wear a full face shield when I'm smelting, and I recommend that everyone else do the same. Safety glasses are cheap; your eyesight is priceless!

Canuck Bob
08-02-2011, 03:32 AM
One of the best measures of a man is one who admits he is wrong on occasion. Glad you didn't have more serious injury. Wow, a burnt eye, I cringe thinking how that must feel when you blink!!!!!

Posts like these keep us all inline. We all cheat fate on occasion and sometimes fate wins. I once fell through the ceiling in my gaarage while insulating. i landed on my air compressor which saved a cracked skull! I was on my back when the plywood let go and if I hadn't landed on my compressor I would have planted the back of my head on the concrete.

Broke 5 ribs, dislocated my sternum, and punctured a lung. Worst thing is I terrified my wife and kids. I'll save the beer, tailgate, and thumb story for another day.

303Guy
08-02-2011, 05:43 AM
It's like a liquid seeking to go from an area of high concentration to low concentration.Well said!

Thanks for posting the warning. I've been getting complacent. Time to tighten up!

Rice-n-Beans
08-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Thank goodness you're Ok, I am going to pick up a face shield instead of regular ole' safety glasses at Home Depot this weekend. Thanks for the story and warning.