PDA

View Full Version : August Paper Patch Postal Match

redneckdan
07-30-2011, 05:37 PM
For August you need to pick a firearm and bullet to work with before starting the match, preferably by August 5th or sooner.

Ideally you should pick a combination you haven't worked with yet. But if for some reason you can not do that please compete anyway, just state in your post that you are doing so. I would rather not see people sit out because of this rule. I want to challenge shooters to try something new in a compressed amount of time.

This will be a bench rest match and is open to both rifles and pistols, there will not be separate classes unless there are a lot of pistol shooters interested.

Irons will shoot at 50yds.

Any sight will shoot at 100yds.

A rest of any type may be used, though a rail gun might be taking things a little far...:roll:

Score is based on group size for a 10 shot group. You can make multiple attempts with different recipes.

Use this as an opportunity to work up a good load. You will be required to use the firearm/ammo combination that you develop from the August match for the September match. You will be required to declare that recipe at the beginning of September.

You will not know Septembers course of fire until about a month from now. I will say that developing a load that both hits where you aim and shoots small groups would be a good idea.

Object of the match is for smallest group. Irons at 50 and any sight at 100yds. Use august as research for Septembers match. You must use the load/rifle from august for the September match.

Once again if you have any questions or concerns please ask. Reasonable variances will be granted when necessary.

geargnasher
07-30-2011, 05:43 PM
I'll play. Details to follow.

Gear

303Guy
07-30-2011, 10:24 PM
I've picked my hitherto untried mint bore two-groove No4. This gun really is mint all round but it has been sporterised. I've selected the boolit (casting some right now) and have fired one or two into the test tube so I have the boolit, the patch and the load.

192gr FN smooth side
40gr AR2209/H4350 Load Density 89%
PPU BRIT. cases
Federal 210 LR primers
2.6gr Wheat Bran filler/Wad (Not sure why I'm doing this part but one way to find out if it serves any real purpose at these load densities).

redneckdan
08-01-2011, 10:04 AM
My cannon of choice is going to be a 14" 30 herett contender using a ohaus 150gr loverin.

PS= Changed boolit cause I couldn't find the lee spire mould. I will be out of town until next wednesday.

barrabruce
08-01-2011, 11:08 AM
I'll see if I can do something.
Limited to me 30-30
Try the 150 grn Lee FP and see if I can get them to shoot for a change.

ovendoctor
08-01-2011, 10:22 PM
ill take irons for 50

Doc.:D

303Guy
08-03-2011, 04:36 AM
I'll be shooting with boolits like this one.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/DSCF5575_edited.jpg

Ain't she a beauty? They get sized to two-diameter before patching. With a bit (make that a lot) of luck I'll get to shoot them off on Friday.

geargnasher
08-05-2011, 12:34 AM
I have to order some boolit sizing dies this weekend, but I'm going all-out here:

Rifle #1: Open sight class, stock military CG M96 Swedish Mauser in custom wood, Lyman .266" silhouette boolit (can't remember mould number right now).

Rifle #2. Optics class, sporterized CG M96 Swedish Mauser with factory barrel, recrowned, bolt turned, Timney safety, trigger job, custom stock. Same silhouette boolit.

Rifle #3: Open sight class (going to ask for a variance on this one, using a Bushnell 4MOA red dot sight with zero magnification, about the same resolution as open sights but easier for my eyes to cope with), H&R Classic Carbine .45 Colt, bone stock other than sight, boolit will be the Lee 457-340-2R.

Gear

MDF99
08-05-2011, 09:46 AM
I'll give it a go. For my scoped @ 100 yds, I'll use a 376 Steyr mountain rifle with a new 305 grain mold from Accurate and for open sight @ 50 I'll use a Marlin 45-70 cowboy with a 450 grain LBT Marlin mold that I havent used yet. I ordered a set of Skinner peep sights a couple weeks ago for the Marlin, hopefully they show up soon so I can use them for this match. I'll start with N120 powder in both rifles.

redneckdan
08-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Rifle #3: Open sight class (going to ask for a variance on this one, using a Bushnell 4MOA red dot sight with zero magnification, about the same resolution as open sights but easier for my eyes to cope with), H&R Classic Carbine .45 Colt, bone stock other than sight, boolit will be the Lee 457-340-2R.

Gear

I think red dots in the iron sight class would be pushing things a bit. Since you have the irons on the mauser and can shoot in that class, I will start an "old farts red dot sight at 50yds class" that your H&R would qualify for.

I have been doing a little fiddling lately. Surgery went okay but they found more damage than they were anticipating. They had figured 2-3 weeks recovery and now it is looking more like 8-12. :sad: Still having a lot of pain and instability of the knee.

Anyway, I found that 18.0gr of H4227 shoots okay with my chosen boolit. Using a .302 sizer to squish the bullets down and started with 2 wraps of parchment. Dried bullet measured at .306 Tore them off and rewrapped with notebook paper then sized to .309 This bullet fit the long freebore throat of my contender barrel pretty well. 50yd groups hovered around 2" off a bipod and rest, not bad for shooting a single shot pistol. Going to try trail boss in an effort to reduce muzzle jump and hopefully improve my accuracy.

MDF99
08-12-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure how I missed that this was a paper patch match, I have no experience with paper patching. However, I figure I'd may as well post my results here anyways if no one objects. I will just have a good time trying to work up accurate loads with my new molds and compete against myself.

barrabruce
08-14-2011, 05:54 AM
o.k. choose a powder for my 30-30.
ADI 2207. or 2206H
bullet lee 150 flat point.

I,ll work up load with the one you choose.
Paper will be either cig papers 1/2 wrap or note pad full wrap.

2"" at 100 yards with no load development.

never tried 2207 but load will only be roughly 1700 ft/sec. So Thad,d be pretty fair.

Barra

redneckdan
08-14-2011, 10:52 AM
try the 2207

barrabruce
08-14-2011, 06:58 PM
2207 it is then.
Work shall commence. Hopefully I'll get some loads made up and shot before this ends.

Barra

303Guy
08-17-2011, 02:42 AM
I shot off some bench loads with my 'other' rifle and the results are not going to win me any prizes. Might get a few laughs though. Anyway, I'll try get a group with the nominated two-groove and see what happens. I've been low on work for a while (been unwell) and now I'm being called on to work 7 days a week for a while so might have to settle for less shooting!

An idea for the one of the next postals; Lee Enfields versus Mausers. 8-)

MDF99
08-18-2011, 11:34 PM
I had some success with the 45-70 Marlin tonight. The Skinner peep sight combo showed up at last and with the new tall front sight I shot a 1" 3-shot group at 50 yds that was 11.5" low below the bullseye, shooting off my knees sitting. I'm going to have to file 0.19" off that front sight to raise groups to 2" high at 50 yards. Load was 41.5 gr H-322 in Starline brass with the 450 gr. LBT Marlin bullet sized at 0.460". With lube and GC they weigh in at approx. 459 gr. Next step is to load 15 or 20 of these and test them more extensively... and do some filing.

barrabruce
08-22-2011, 01:20 AM
Well got to the range for a bit in the morning.
not the best day for this. Gusting to 35 blowing around 20 knts or so.
Couldn't pick the wind at all so just shot the bloody things off.

Load development at 50 yrs with 2207 from 15- 24 grains 2 shots of each charge.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=563&pictureid=4185

Hmm pick out one... 23 grains then off to 100yrds to bang away proper!!

Haa Haaa wind went wild from everywhere. I forgot a cheat sheet.

My one and only group for the month at 100yrds.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=563&pictureid=4184

:takinWiz:
Harry pope and Quigly eat 'yer heart out!!!!

:-( Maybe next time I'll get something right.

Barra

303Guy
08-22-2011, 02:43 AM
Hey Barra, you're doing better than I am. I only got four of my aimed shots onto the target! I'd love to blame the wind and it was gusting strong but wind would cause horizontal stringing and it didn't! I just got a pooh group! Now I'm going to be working long hours and full weekends so I miss another opportunity!:sad: Heck, I don't mind beeing beaten and I don't mind shooting poorly but not shooting at all ... ![smilie=b:

Actually, you're not doing too badly at all!;-)

MDF99, any chance of some pictures?

geargnasher
08-23-2011, 08:24 PM
You guys are kicking my ****, I haven't gotten past sizing for the Swedes yet, and it looks like I don't have either the right sizer or an ideal boolit for the .45 Colt NEF, so it looks like I might not make it. One more weekend!

Gear

redneckdan
08-23-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm kinda suckin wind here too. Knee is really keeping me grounded.

geargnasher
08-23-2011, 11:37 PM
Yes, they do that, especially when somebody hacks on it real good. Are you out of the immobilizer brace yet?

A ray of light in the quagmire of sizing issues: I used a .44 Magnum carbide sizer die to nose-size some 505-grain .459" boolits to fit the bore dimension of my .45/90 WCF, so I thought I'd dig in the parts bin. Voila'! An RCBS non-carbide .44 Magnum sizer die with a broken decapping rod, perfect! I cut it in half and used the bottom part as a push-through sizer in combination with my Lee .452" push-through punch. I rolled the Lee 457-340-RF boolits on my lube pad, ran them through the .453" push-through base first, then ran them through the .44 Magnum die nose-first, the end result being .447" boolits, just right for my .446" groove (I hope!).

So I patched one with cotton vellum to 1/16" past the ogive, lubed it, pushed it through a .457" die to just barely wipe the lube off and iron the paper, started it in a lightly flared, fired case, and chambered it to seat the boolit firmly against the ball seat. Using a ramrod to extract the "dummy" cartridge to preserve the OAL, I then checked remaining case capacity. Looks like 22 grains of Reloder 7, maybe 24 drop-tubed and compressed. I was hoping for at least 20 but less than 25, so my luck continues. The loaded case neck diameter is .0015" smaller than the chamber neck, so nice snug fit in the NEF's cavernous chamber. Now to get some patched for real and loaded up.

I may have to give up on the Swedes for now, tough to get a .266" boolit down to .259" in one step.

Gear

redneckdan
08-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Never was put in an mobilizer. Dr. actually want me up and walking a little bit the night after the surgery. Having huge issues with instability of the knee joint. Dr sent me to 3 weeks of PT but it is looking more and more like a hinged knee brace is in my future.

barrabruce
08-24-2011, 07:05 PM
I have worn a "Donjoy" hinged brace for the last 5-7 years.
Got me leg moulded and sent to the states for a proper fit.

Wish I had one about 25 years ago..believe me.
I really need a new brace as me leg is a bit different profile now
I will..gunna when I face up to another round in the pain pit... get a new one "knee that is".

Fact is after wearing it for a few weeks my pain level decreased and stability improved.
No as much micro tearing with the joint wobbling around.

After a month I would be more comfortable at night and went from Panadine to Panadol.

Now I only use "Pain killers" when I forget ..feel good ... and over do things and aggravate the wobbly worn out mess.
(Still a moderated life style)
Things improved to a point that I can walk pretty good although the compaction of the joint and weight bearing and general uselessness remains its
A LOT BETTER AND MORE COMFORTABLE.
Although it'll still give you the willies a bit.

[smilie=b: O.K. I'll admit it ..Its completely plucked !!!!

Anyway back to this PPing shooting thing.

Barra

geargnasher
08-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Shot five to get the red dot sight adjusted a little better for 50 yards, then shot these ten in a row from the bench, I called it good enough for today.

I guess I'm the only "old fart" using a red dot for 50 yards unless I get time to load some more tonight for the 100-yard class. I'd really like to see what it does at 100, but I know I can't "hang" with you guys using sights with magnification and crosshairs.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_89094e597bd333b83.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1960)

Can't wait to see the September tricks!

Gear

barrabruce
08-28-2011, 06:21 AM
Good shooting Gearnasher with one of those not good a neither 45 colt 410 thingo's

Me I bummed out.
Sort of got wrapped up in the moment of the day instead of being serious!!!

Had this "hair brain idea "that making a breach seater and seating me PP boolits and loading one case with a bit of dacron might improve things some.
(one less variable.)
Well I started low and worked up.
Started to group.
After 25 or so rounds me case would extract so I had to size it.
But used a new case for the next 20 or so.
Well I ended up not having 10 of anything similar configuration to shoot a group.
Not that'd matter much!!!! Heee heee.
Lousy a few close a wild one here and there but ..something!!!
Shot the gong of is perch at 300 yrds and now need re-welding .
Tried to shoot a rabbit at 200yrds (small plastic coke bottle) but it layed down before the first shot and a couple went over its head. Concluded in must have ducked down a barrow by then as the wind blew it a bit and I could no longer see it in the grass.

Ahh well measured the charge I shot the most when I got home.
Full load + dacron and tight seated.
No real pressure signs.(lightish ?????) But a sharp boot.
Don't know the pressure or velocity but they was hoot'n
May work down from this and see if things improve.
Good day thou..relaxed pace of shooting . de-prime ,prime, fill. dacron, load bullet then case and shoot.
Good stuff.
Barra
Maybe I should have cleaned it at some stage. But a couple of strokes with a wet patch and it shone like the morning dew again.

redneckdan
08-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Nice shootin there Gear!

geargnasher
08-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Tanks! So is everyone holding out 'till the last? I wanna see some more 100 yard groups (since I can't make my 100-yard gun work in time)!

Bruce, this is the real .45 Colt version, not the .45/410 abortion. If I had one of those I'd be using .444 Marlin brass or breech-seating like you to cut down on the freebore. This .45 Colt still has a very long and oversized throat though, so the boolit has to travel across almost a quarter inch (7mm) of .460" area before reaching the ball seat, where it has a sharp taper to the groove diameter and the ends of the lands. Not much taper to the ends of the lands, either. The challenge to accuracy with this gun has always been getting the boolits started straight in the barrel, since the chamber is almost .010" oversized and the throat at least .008" overized and no gentle taper to straighten it out at the end of the throat. This is by far the best the gun has ever shot, and with very soft boolits at that! I think I have my short-range deer hammer ready!

Gear

redneckdan
08-28-2011, 01:04 PM
i am hopeing to get out yet this month, doesn't look too promising though. Went for a short walk yesterday with the dog and I'm paying for it today. :-( I'll announce the next match in a few days or so.

MDF99
08-29-2011, 11:24 PM
Here are my efforts from a quick trip to the field tonight. I shot these new peep sights with a freshly filed front sight at 50 yds sitting and shooting off my knees. I fired three shots at a time with about 3-4 minutes between groups, no cleaning and the barrel got pretty hot. I didn't include the bad shot to the bottom left. I ended up with four different 3 shot groups, 12 shots in 5.5". I must have held it a little differently each time or something? I'm gonna try to get a bench or at least some sticks out there to shoot off of in the next few days. Load was the same 41.5gr H322 with 459 grain LBT bullet.