PDA

View Full Version : Boolit Lube revisited

Joel Chavez
01-15-2007, 01:40 PM
I hope I don't conjure up some bad feelings about this. So here it goes. I heard or read somewhere that mixing bees wax(8 parts) to vaseline(2 parts) makes a semihard lube. Is this correct? Also, is it affective? Can you use beeswax as a hard lube or is it considered a soft lube? Thanks for all the info. and sorry for the silly questions. Hope it's warm and dry where you are. 32F and wet here.:(

felix
01-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Joel, only trials will prove the mixture. Have at it and let us know. ... felix

utk
01-15-2007, 05:51 PM
In my "lube notes" these ingredients make up the "Barry Darr Lube", albeit in different proportions, so it should work...

Urban

Barry Darr’s Lube Formula - A great lube for pan lubing bullets. See modified version below.

1 lb. Paraffin
1 lb. Vaseline
2 tbsp. STP Oil Treatment (may also use RCBS Case Lube #1. (The current RCBS Case Lube #2 is something different, and it is water soluble).

8) Modified Barry Darr lube - Excellent results up to 1500 fps, and near 90° temperature (32C), with the only problem being that it melts in the sun or hot weather.

1 lb. Paraffin
1 lb. Vaseline

357maximum
01-15-2007, 06:07 PM
I hope I don't conjure up some bad feelings about this. So here it goes. I heard or read somewhere that mixing bees wax(8 parts) to vaseline(2 parts) makes a semihard lube. Is this correct? Also, is it affective? Can you use beeswax as a hard lube or is it considered a soft lube? Thanks for all the info. and sorry for the silly questions. Hope it's warm and dry where you are. 32F and wet here.:(

8/2 bw/vaseline would indeed be what most would consider a "stiff" lube, I have used it in approximately the same mix....that being said....I would rather use 8/2 Bw/alox350, it seems to be alot more consistant in the small size of groups. I do not think the alox350 and vaseline are much different texture wise, but the alox 350 has some soaps and other goodies that make it work mo' betta'. I have bought ten pounds of alox 350 from board member Lar45..he is one heck of a nice fella to deal with, and I did not want to buy 55gals of the stuff...with my other lube recipes I have made and..my 5quartsalox350 I should be good until they divide my estate....:mrgreen: (he sells the alox350 right cheap and it comes in 1 quart paint cans)

Michael

OLPDon
01-15-2007, 06:57 PM
357 Max:
Michael read alot of your posts on lubs and have put your lubs on my lubs file as lubs to make. My question to you I have been making my wallet quite light with all the great group buys (moulds) been reading the GB on the alox really haven't used it much. I understand you like to max out your loads and that takes things to just right ie: Lube, aloy, size, and powder ect. The question do you use alox in alot of your other lubes and find it valueable item. I have been making FWFL and very pleased with it (Thanks Felix). I find making lubs quite enjoyable and makes the casting endevor a hobby as well as a componant and knowing I did it myself rewarding.

Now I don't like to pass on a good deal wich the alox GB is. But sometimes a good buy with minmal use isn't. I might point out that I have about 6 Bottles of the old LLA had it for quite a few yrs.
How often do you use LLA in your lubs. I seem to have similar shooting as you and would like some input.
Anyone else feel free to give input
Thanks
Don

Anyone else please chime in with some input.

dbotos
01-15-2007, 07:44 PM
I use beeswax and crisco. Varying proportions will yield varying hardnesses (anywhere between the soft crisco and the harder beeswax). Has worked well for me. I tried beeswax and alox at one point, but that was too sticky and smelly for my tastes. I like the beeswax and crisco cause it's cheap, I can but the two components locally, and it works. I thought I heard someone say not to use the butter flavored crisco for some reason - I'm still on my first tub of the regular white stuff. I make mine in a glass Ball jar in a small saucepan of boiling water.

357maximum
01-15-2007, 07:46 PM
357 Max:
Michael read alot of your posts on lubs and have put your lubs on my lubs file as lubs to make. My question to you I have been making my wallet quite light with all the great group buys (moulds)Me too:-D been reading the GB on the alox really haven't used it much. I understand you like to max out your loads and that takes things to just right ie: Lube, aloy, size, and powder ect.I have found that good barrels/ fat boolits/gas checks/good stiff lube will allow you to do most of what you want....I do not seem to have many problems with most anything...YMMV The question do you use alox in alot of your other lubes and find it valueable item. I have been making FWFL and very pleased with it (Thanks Felix). I like felix lube..I make mine a little harder though....but alox 606(LLA) and alox 350 are two totally differnet things....alox 350 is a vaseline cosmoline type soapy grease and does not harden or dry I find making lubs quite enjoyable and makes the casting endevor a hobby as well as a componant and knowing I did it myself rewarding. Me too, I use LLA mostly on less demanding things like 38/32 revolvers...I have and will use it on higher intensity rounds, but it is a PER application type thing....IE ...I use it when the gun likes it...if not....not

Now I don't like to pass on a good deal wich the alox GB is. But sometimes a good buy with minmal use isn't. I might point out that I have about 6 Bottles of the old LLA had it for quite a few yrs.
How often do you use LLA in your lubs.When it is the right thing to do, and on most things I have had very little trouble, but I have sooooooo much wax based lube I try to use that plus I do not have to wait for it to dry....all in all...my feelings are lube is lube as long as it is a good lube and only your toys can tell you that...I hear of people having this trouble and that trouble all the time....I just must be one lucky devil:twisted: as I do not seem to have very many troubles.. I seem to have similar shooting as you and would like some input.
Anyone else feel free to give input
Thanks
Don

Anyone else please chime in with some input.

I have decided not to get in on the LLA group buy...I started counting bottles of the stuff around here and I get one with every lee sizer, and my ol man is getting into cast and that is all he will be sizing with so as far as LLA(606) department I am in good shape....it also comes down to the fact that I can get LLA at anytime, and the group buy molds may not be available again and funds are limited sooo I am going to put my funds into molds...just a personal decision..

I play with lube alot,,,cannot help myself I am sick.....when things are right...lube is on of the smallest factors towards accuracy, and most all will prevent leading unless your gun or boolit or both have issues.... 1/Bore ,throat quality 2/Boolit fit 3 /alloy temper 4 /lube ........in the order of what i feel is important.... ther are alot of opinions out there...this is mine,,,but you know what they say about opinions and ***holes.......everyone has one...

Michael

OLPDon
01-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Great advice Thank's
Don

Char-Gar
01-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Joel... I have been using a beeswax/Vasaline mix bullet lube since 1960. I must be honest and say, I really don't know the exact porportions. I add enough Vasaline to soften the wax enough for it to work through a lube sizer with ease.

I mix in bulk and go by color. If it proves a little to hard, I remelt and add some more Vasaline. If too hard, I remelt and add some more wax. I would guess the porportions are about 65/35 wax to Vasaline. The exact ratio is not critical.

I have used this in handgun and rifle loads up to 2K fps with total satisfaction. I have shot it against other lubes in test and have yet to find one that is clearly superior for my purposes.

Joel Chavez
01-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks guys for the wealth of info. It is greatly appreciated. I'll keep trying to refine the mixture to suit my taste and go from there. Again, thanks and hope its warm and dry where you are. Here it's 30F and icy. :groner:

carpetman
01-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Joel Chavez--"I'll keep trying to refine the mixture(bullet lube) to suit my taste". Are you eating it plain or using as a topping on other foods?

piwo
01-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Joel Chavez--"I'll keep trying to refine the mixture(bullet lube) to suit my taste". Are you eating it plain or using as a topping on other foods?

Ha!.. I always used bore butter as my patch lube with my front stuffers, and one nice by-product is that it is 100% edible, and is a wonderful Lip balm. Hunting with chapped lips SUCKS...

Now, I have just cast REAL minie's in 54 cal, and it has the grooves for me to pack with lube. So the question, what type of lube for firing minie's out at @1500 fps? Is this done with a softer / wetter lube, or is this done with a lube of a consistency that when packed into the grooves, it doesn't melt or run and stays intact?

I just bought some beeswax off eBay, and so I can start mixing. I've seen suggestions for different type lubes, but guess I don't understand the variations for the applications. I understand why one needs a lube of a certain consistency for using resizing dies and what not, but how about these minie's? What's the "best practices" for them? Beeswax/alox350, beeswax olive oil, beeswax Vaseline? I guess by reading all the posts here, they all would make sufficient lubes, I just want to make sure I mix it up in "form" / hardness
that is appropriate to my application.

I appreciate your patience..

Joel Chavez
01-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Carpetman, now that is funny. No, I'm not eating it yet. However, it does smell quite tempting. Hmmmmm, lube, I mean honey anyone? Still cold and freezing rain here.:coffee:

nicholst55
01-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Ha!.. I always used bore butter as my patch lube with my front stuffers, and one nice by-product is that it is 100% edible, and is a wonderful Lip balm. Hunting with chapped lips SUCKS...

Now, I have just cast REAL minie's in 54 cal, and it has the grooves for me to pack with lube. So the question, what type of lube for firing minie's out at @1500 fps? Is this done with a softer / wetter lube, or is this done with a lube of a consistency that when packed into the grooves, it doesn't melt or run and stays intact?

I just bought some beeswax off eBay, and so I can start mixing. I've seen suggestions for different type lubes, but guess I don't understand the variations for the applications. I understand why one needs a lube of a certain consistency for using resizing dies and what not, but how about these minie's? What's the "best practices" for them? Beeswax/alox350, beeswax olive oil, beeswax Vaseline? I guess by reading all the posts here, they all would make sufficient lubes, I just want to make sure I mix it up in "form" / hardness
that is appropriate to my application.

I appreciate your patience..

I would try beeswax/vaseline in 50/50 proportion for your applications. Anything softer than that will likely melt in the summer; any harder and it'll likely not stay out when loading in winter.