PDA

View Full Version : Berdan Primer Alert: get your voice heard

milprileb
07-27-2011, 12:32 PM
If you are interested in Berdan primers, the importer needs to get a idea of the volume of your demands.

If you know you want primers, contact info@dagammo.com and let Dominic know your desires so he can

plan to meet demands and figure out his shipping end of this.

He told me he is not asking for any payment, just your pre order requirements for his planning purposes.

Obviously, you need to indicate what size you want.

Hopefully, there is a sun rise on berdan primers availability once again !

I am sitting on a lot of Berdan Swiss cases so having primers will allow economical cast bullet shooting for a long long time. Fingers crossed on berdan primers back on my shelf !!!!

MikeS
07-28-2011, 01:46 AM
I'm curious, what de-capping method do you use? I followed some links in the last thread you posted about berdan primers, and it seems like the RCBS berdan de-capper de-capper is probably the way to go, but wanted to get another opinion.

I just traded for a Ruger Mini-30 that included almost 500 rounds of Norinco non-corrosive ammo. While it's non-corrosive, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be berdan primed, and I really don't want to throw away almost 500 perfectly usable cases just because of the primer type.

JIMinPHX
07-28-2011, 02:14 AM
I did a little fooling around with converting Berdan brass to Boxer a while back. Details of my escapades can be found here - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=50789

One of our European members, I think from the Netherlands, had posted pictures on another thread that showed a hook shaped tool that he used to pull out Berdan primers. It sounded like he had quite a bit of experience at it. His tool was ground out of an old file. I think that he just drilled holes in a wooden 4 x 4 to use as a holding fixture for the brass while he hammered in the tool & pried out the old primer. I'll see if I can look up that thread. It's going to be a little hard because I don't remember his screen name.

JIMinPHX
07-28-2011, 02:30 AM
This thread shows some Berdan removal tools & techniques.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=86157&page=2

milprileb
07-28-2011, 07:49 AM
MikeS:

There is a lot of examples on You Tube to show how to do it. Some more tedious than others. There is on which the gent ground off the decap pin from a 3 buck 30 caliber Lee decapper rod and put this on his Lee decapping die. He then fills cases with water and with is Lee press, quickly runs case up into that die and out pops berdan primer from hydraulic pressure.

Of course this is a drill for out doors in summer as water will spill and splatter but its quite easy to do and would zip thru 500 cases in no time. A lot of aluminum on Lee presses so there is little risk of rust anywhere and clean up of any water on steel parts is quick.

The RCBS tool is very effective but its costly and I am not going that route. I got a Lee Decap die, a spare Lee press and all I need is to call Lee and get a 30 cal decap rod sent for 3 bucks and grind the pin off the end: Under 5 bucks and I am running hot !