PDA

View Full Version : Thanks

Tom Ruley
07-27-2011, 11:57 AM
I want to thank everyone on this site. I must confess that I lurk in the shadows reading your posts and trying to learn from your experiences. It's sort of like listening instead of talking, (you learn more). My job of 35 years is going south of the border in the next few months. This site has been a huge help to me because I can learn and don't have to talk (type). It is quite relaxing. Once again, thanks.
I would like to get some things together before I have the extra time on my hands. I do have some questions.
What is a good price on 45 long colt brass? Does anyone have extra they would part with ?
Also 7.62 x 54 brass?I have two mossin nagant carbines that I want to start reloading for. Also what kind of scope mount will be best on them?
Does anyone have a pet load for a handy rifle in 243? I haven't had any luck reloading for it. What kind of groups should I get out of it?
I have a Winchester 94 in 30-30. I would like someone to recommend either a side scope mount or a peep site for it. ( A new toy to play with when I have more free time)
I have a 58 caliber H&R black powder (percussion) and would like to know its value.
Once again thanks
Tom

MtGun44
07-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Check out Starline's web site, they have top quality pistol brass, direct sales - usually 500 rds
minimum but good prices and excellent quality.

Grafs has historically carried their own headstamp brass for many of the oddball military
calibers, and probably has (or had!) 7.62x54R in stock. This brass is made in Serbia by
Prvi Partisan and is very good quality.

There are scope mounts that replace the rear sight leaf and use a forward mounted long
eye relief (Scout scope) scope that work well on the M-N. The split bridge guns are problematic, cannot
be scoped the 'normal way'. The need a side mount or a forward mount. There are copies
of the WW2 Russian sniper scope and mount out there too. Side mount with a bent bolt
handle.
The Tanner sight is a good one for the Win 94, but may need drilling and tapping.

No idea on the H&R or .243 questions.

Bill

geargnasher
07-28-2011, 01:12 AM
+1 on Starline directly from their site. Don't despair of it indicates "out of stock", they keep up with demand quite well and backorders, if they DO exist, are generally very short. Buy the "brass" brass, not the nickel plated, it will last longer and primers are easier to seat. It will need to be trimmed and chamfered, their production tolerances are very tight compared to other manufacturers, but there will likely be some at either end of the tolerance numbers.

Gear

cbrick
07-28-2011, 01:24 AM
I put Marble Arms Peep sight on my Winnie 94. Great sight, adjustable elevation and windage but on the Winnie it does need the rear mounting screw drilled & tapped.

Marble Arms (http://www.marblearms.com/)

Rick

milkman
07-28-2011, 06:42 AM
Tom
I had a Handi in 243 with a bull barrel, it wasn't picky about powder but didn't like the heavier bullets at all. I only shot jacketed through it, and groups got progressively worse above the 58g Hornady, which it loved. 100g were about minute-of-soup-can.

dverna
07-28-2011, 03:31 PM
I had a Handi in .22 Hornet thinking it would be a neat 150 yd varmint "toy". I could not get the darn thing to group and sold it.

Don

whisler
07-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Hi Tom: How are things at Red River? I'm sure you can tell from the screen name who this is. Glad to see you here. It's a great site with excellent advice

stubert
07-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Not a winnie, I've got a Marlin Guide gun, It wears a williams peep, My 35 Marlin wears an old Lyman peep. Peeps are Great on Levers, scopes just don't look right.

Mike the Dane
07-29-2011, 11:55 AM
I have a williams no.5 peep sight on my 71' winchester 94. A doodle to fit, works ok with the std. Front Bead (took of the front hood though) i would advise buying a small rear apeture, std. One is very big :)