PDA

View Full Version : Need ice? I have extra...

shooter2
01-14-2007, 11:51 AM
NW Arkansas is covered with ice. The trees are loaded and branches are falling every now and then. Not sure about felix, but I suspect that Sundog is hunkered down. We have power, but many in the immediate area do not. I'm told that one more front is coming through. Bummer!

wills
01-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Can you deliver that in August?

Hackleback
01-14-2007, 01:10 PM
We had about three inches of pellet snow/sleet and rain Fri & Saturday- much like styrofoam outside. Rained last night now it just one sheet of slick ice. Even the dog does not want to go outside today.

felix
01-14-2007, 01:17 PM
All rain in fort smith ar. temps hovering around 35. fog. just plain nasty. ... felix

Rick N Bama
01-14-2007, 03:38 PM
NW Arkansas is covered with ice. The trees are loaded and branches are falling every now and then. Not sure about felix, but I suspect that Sundog is hunkered down. We have power, but many in the immediate area do not. I'm told that one more front is coming through. Bummer!

How about if y'all just keep that stuff in NW Arkansas? 2 times in the last 10 years or so we've had an ice storm that kept us out of power for around a week or so.

Here in N. Alabama I'm enjoying a 71* day but I hear that some of that cold air is headed our way.

You guys stay warm!

Rick

Ricochet
01-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Time to go out for a walk and enjoy the 65° afternoon here in lovely Northeast Tennessee.

joatmon
01-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Ricochet, you coulda walked to the gun show in Kingsport. Just don't expect any good deals, all the sellers told me they had more in em then they were asking!

MGySgt
01-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Good old Sunny VA - about 72. Nice and warm!

There is something wrong with this picture - Jan 14th and 72 degree weather? We are going to pay for it sometime!

Drew

Boz330
01-15-2007, 09:59 AM
Ricochet, you coulda walked to the gun show in Kingsport. Just don't expect any good deals, all the sellers told me they had more in em then they were asking!

Probably had a bridge they could sell you as well.[smilie=1:

Boz330
01-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Reminds me of the guy who was buying watermelons for 50 cents and taking them up north and selling them 45 cents. Finally decided he needed a bigger truck so he could make some money.

woodman51jfk
01-15-2007, 01:10 PM
we have ice covering everything, trucks frozen closed, tree branches breaking off...............this ain't 'sposed to heppen here in Central Texas........my girlfriend is from Hawaii.......and she has never seen this kinda thing in her over 30 sumthin' years...outside with a camera oohing & aahing.....women ain't right I tell ya.......I'm just gonna hunker down over the lead pot with a full coffee pot & make much boolita out in the reload/casting/fly tying house........y'all back east don't snicker too much.........it's heading your way.........

versifier
01-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Basic winter survival tips from New England:

1. Woodstove. Helps if you have a chimney to hook it into.
2. Wood to burn in above. Helps if it is dry to limit creosote buildup in chimney and avoid chimney fires. Hardwood yields more heat per volume.
3. Kerosene lanterns and/or candles.
4. Older model gas range with pilot lights and no electronic ignition.
5. Dog on bed (keeps feet warm).
6. Only a damn fool goes out driving during or after an ice storm. That layer of ice on your vehicles is likey the result of a higher power acting in your best interest.

All above work just fine when the power goes out. Normal precautions avoid abrupt increases in local population nine months down the road. ("I couldn't fine 'em in the dark" is NO EXCUSE - see #3 & #5 above.)

Ricochet
01-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Well, it looks like that winter mess is about to get here. I see a big front coming on the weather radar. It's nice here and I've got some time off this afternoon, but my guns are mostly out of reach (remodeling) and the loaded ammo for the two I can get to is out of reach except for what's in them. I think I'll go cast boolits.

Bret4207
01-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Did 15 days without power back in the winter of '98 due to a big ice storm. Wasn't bad till the temp dropped to about -15. Had about 35 head of cattle, 7 Draft horses, 40 some goats, etc. at the time and no generator. Worked 12 hour days at "the job" and then went home and worked. Hauling water in 55 gal barrels at mid night from a neighbors farm is no fun. Of course he was still milking at mid night running his pipeline off a couple of Farmall tractors manifold vaccum. We lived.

If you think you might lose the power, fill the bath tub with water. At least you'll have something to flush with.

wills
01-15-2007, 05:40 PM
I want to know where our Global Warming is.

No_1
01-15-2007, 05:52 PM
I don't think it will ever reach me and I mean NEVER. Here in N.E. Florida it is high 70's today. Now if it reaches down into the 40's, homeless people might freeze in the street downtown...

Robert

y'all back east don't snicker too much.........it's heading your way.........

Slowpoke
01-15-2007, 06:01 PM

It's in Va. this year. (knock on wood)

Ricochet
01-15-2007, 06:16 PM
The leading edge of the front has gotten here with light rain. Came as I was finishing up a big batch of boolits from my new Lee 429-255-SWC mould. Used a whole 20 lb. pot of metal. By the time I culled out a few that weren't right, I ended up with 411 good ones. Very pretty boolits. Did it all from my soft scrap, which isn't totally pure lead. Shortly after water dropping from the mould I could scratch the base of one with my thumbnail easily enough, but couldn't easily indent it. Right now they're all in the oven at 475°F to get quenched together to bring them all to equal hardness. It'll be interesting to see what they're like after a few days. One of these days I'm going to have to cough up for a lead hardness tester.

David R
01-15-2007, 06:58 PM
I must be sumpin. I had to work outside on a cell tower base. I had to cut some holes in the steel so the guys could drill concrete under it. I was there, they were not.

We have about 1/2 to 3/4" of ice everywhere. My yard is a lake. Its colder now, so the ice is going to stay for at least a while.

My NEW 250 amp welder and 9Kw generator is parked by the phone pole ready for action. Full tank of gas and 5 gal or so more in the garage.

Kerosene lantern is full, candles are always out.......Sourdough bread baking as I type.

I guess we lost most of the branches in the snow storm last fall, so not too many branches are in the road.

What a wierd winter!

David

handyrandyrc
01-15-2007, 07:37 PM
You guys know the rule! You've got to post pictures if we're to believe ya! :) But seriously, I'd love to see some ice storm pictures. Fascinating stuff!

MT Gianni
01-15-2007, 08:23 PM
It's starting to warm up out here. We were only -14 this morning and the high was +18. Tomorrow we might hit 20. A welcome change from -30 nights and -5 highs. Gianni.

MT Gianni
01-15-2007, 08:27 PM

Books and magazines, Wills. It is in books and magazines and on TV. Gianni.

Bigjohn
01-15-2007, 08:46 PM
I have to try very hard to imagine what all of you are experiencing at present as I sit here sweating profusely. The temp. here will hit the century mark with all the associated problems; power outages, hot winds and an extreme fire danger.

We have smoke haze hanging around this morning from the fires burning over in south east Victoria about 900 miles away. Those firefighters have been at this one since before Christmas and are working hard to try and keep the fires within containment lines.

So fella's, if you could see ya way clear to sending a little of your cold weather downunder we would appreciate it.

John.

sundog
01-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Gianni, NO, I don't want any ice. We've got PLENTY on power lines and trees. What a mess. Finally got power on a little while ago, and I got a HOT shower. Boy, did that ever feel good. Soooo, NO, I DON'T need any ice. Thank you. sundog

edit:

p.s. Check with me on August 8, 2007!

piwo
01-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Here's my poor tree on the side of the house yesterday morning. We got a little lce here in St. Peters, MO as well. The nice Robin family will be upset this spring: there has beem an active nest in the same fork of that tree the past 7 summers, but no more!
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/Piwo/IMG_0811.jpg