PDA

View Full Version : 71/84 mauser sight

gunnut14
07-26-2011, 07:15 PM
I have and shoot them.
the sights are adequate at best altho I have been banging the gong at 500 yards.
Saw a Pederosolli rear sight on a BPCR and thought it might work for me.
Have no way to try one before buying and thought to ask a couple of questions here.
When it lays down will the bolt on the 71/84 clear it?
When you flip it back up are the readings repeatable?

May sound stupid to you but your answers may save me a lot of money if it wouldn't work.

Thanks for reading and your answers.

gunnut14

NickSS
07-27-2011, 06:37 AM
I have two Pedersolli sights One is the Soul typs and the other is the delux tang sight both will not lay flat and I also have a 71/84 rifle and judging by the shape of the stock I think you will have interference between the bolt and the sight.

gunnut14
07-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks NickSS,
That saved me a lot of money.
What type of sight would suggest putting on the old war horse?
With my old eyes I need something.
Maybe 500 yards is far enough! I cansee well enough to shoot that far and thought a peep sight might get me farther.

gunnut14

leadman
07-27-2011, 12:12 PM
I have a 71 also. The sights as you say are not the best. I tried my spare tang sight and it will not fit unless the stock was cutaway at the wrist.
The other option is to install a sight on the hex part of the barrel over the chamber area. Something like the Williams WGRS I have on my H&R Shikari. Or a Buffington sight like on some of the Trapdoors.

justashooter
07-28-2011, 12:52 PM
i have a bannerman 71-84 carbine in great shape with match numbers and gorgeous wood, but am thinking about rebarreling it to 45-70, using a springfield barrel cut to suit.