PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Molds

RGMJ
07-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Hi Guys,

Have any of you bought moulds from Mountain Molds ?

They have an on-line mold design program, allowing you to design your mold. I Wanted to order a 350 gr bulllet mold for my 500 S&W.

Are they good? Any CONS? Which is better - Aluminum, Brass or Steel Molds?

Thanks for any reply!

white eagle
07-26-2011, 08:44 AM
I have a few of Dan's molds (Mountain Molds)
yes his online program is a charm but be careful not to over do it
his work in mold making is excellent ..you won't do wrong buying from him
I prefer brass but that is just me ..aluminum is lighter
alot of molds are cut from aluminum blocks

44man
07-26-2011, 08:46 AM
I never bought any but I understand they are very, very good. Others like Babore make super, duper molds too.
I make my own molds because SS only goes so far.
Material choice of the mold means nothing, it is how you learn to use the mold. Aluminum works, iron and brass works. All make perfect boolits.
Your most important job is to choose YOUR boolit.

RobS
07-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Your most important job is to choose YOUR boolit.

+1 to this comment

Dan at Mountain Molds does great work and his turn around time is pretty good as well. I never had one of his molds that didn't drop at or slightly over specified diameter.

bobthenailer
07-26-2011, 09:45 AM
I have 2 MM moulds with aluminum blocks ! they are excellent in every way and fast turn around time with my 2 orders . A+ rating

Wayne Smith
07-26-2011, 11:56 AM
I designed one with his software. Turnaround time was less than he advertised. Very pleased with the mold and with his business.

turbo1889
07-26-2011, 04:47 PM
I have ordered several molds from him including my first ever full bore solid shotgun slug mold (20ga.) many years ago and my gas check mold for 9mm pistol which are still among my favorite molds.

Currently I mainly buy from Accurate Molds(.com) but is still got to Mountain Molds for 7mm rifle molds since AM doesn't do anything smaller then 30-caliber.

Brass is my preferred mold block material; second only to 400 series stainless steel but molds cut in 400-SS blocks are nearly as rare as hen’s teeth.

crabo
07-27-2011, 12:48 AM
I have 3 or 4 and am very happy with them.

sqlbullet
07-27-2011, 10:07 AM
I traded for one of his molds with another member here a year or two back. I can't speak to how MM is to do business with, but I can say that the mold is fabulous.

I would not hesitate to order from him the next time I need something I can't get in a cheap Lee mold.

Char-Gar
07-27-2011, 10:31 AM
I have two of his molds using his design software. The bullets turned out great, the workmanship is top notch and delivery times is per promise.

Before we started doing our own 452243 clones, I reversed engineered an early Ideal version using Dan's program. Several folks used it to have molds made and all came out spot on.

GLL
07-27-2011, 10:42 AM
I have three of Dan's molds and they are top quality ! When Bruce at BRP came on line I switched to his custom design molds which in my mind are the VERY best available. Unfortunately he just shut down production. I will now use Tom at Accurate Molds. He too makes an outstanding product and is extremely helpful at designing exactly what you want ! Tom gets your mold out before the ink dries on your check ! :) :)

Bruce and Tom are both very good at communicating what will and will not work about any design you propose ! Bruce is especially knowledgeable !

Jerry

nanuk
07-27-2011, 11:03 PM
funny, I"ve played with the software and cannot get it to stop giving me popup alarms about something that is not intuitive.

so I keep playing with it, and eventually it seems to come out OK.

I'm trying to design some PP boolits, multigroove like a Loverin. one for my 270, one for my 9.3, one for my 6.5.... fun program.

Heavy lead
07-27-2011, 11:09 PM
I have three of Dan's moulds, three of Tom's, all six are simply great. I like the design feature of Mountain Molds. Would recommend either one as great to do business with.

acsteve
08-27-2011, 12:54 PM
I have a 9.3 mountain
mould,really like the software, and his work is excellent,with a fast turn around..

crash87
08-27-2011, 04:20 PM
funny, I"ve played with the software and cannot get it to stop giving me popup alarms about something that is not intuitive.

so I keep playing with it, and eventually it seems to come out OK.

I'm trying to design some PP boolits, multigroove like a Loverin. one for my 270, one for my 9.3, one for my 6.5.... fun program.

I may be wrong but I don't believe his program will give you what you are wanting. I do believe I read something on his site about that. Maybe FAQ??
Of course I'm working on memory, which isn't what it used to be. :wink:
Crash87