PDA

View Full Version : Extruded powder metering question

GRUMPA
07-25-2011, 08:35 PM
I have used ball type powders for my 223's with pretty good results. Well since I ran out of that I have to use my old stand by of extruded powder, some BW-36. The only hopper I have is the RCBS type on my ole faithfull 4x4 press. When I (think) I have it all adjusted it throws some rather unimpressive charges. Maybe I'm to picky here but +-.5gr isn't a bell ringer for me

When I throw a charge by hand I get that distinctive crunch feeling like it's cutting the powder at the metering system. And I have 2 of those and I tried both of them (one large hole and 1 smaller holed one) with the same effect.

Would this be considered normal? Am I just not doing something correctly? Almost all of my extruded powder types go for my big guns and I measure all that out by hand. And with the usual ball and flake powders they meter rather well.

NickSS
07-26-2011, 05:33 AM
In most rifle loads a half grain will make very little difference in a pistol it could be a big problem. I have an Redding powder thrower and it gives me around a ,1+- variation with most extruded powders but the secret is to rapidly operate the charge lever if you go slow you get more variation.

Hardcast416taylor
07-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Extruded powder will have kernals cut by the drum operation. For an example set the load higher by at least 20 gr. and operate the thrower. You`ll hear the same "Crunch" as with your lower load. A load that drops at +/- .5 is good by me - except in MAX. loads when that won`t fly with me.Robert

onondaga
07-26-2011, 12:36 PM
I have a Lyman #55 and it is a drum type measure. The scissor action of metal to metal will cut some extruded powders more than others. This is normal. It is usually the charge thrown after the crunch that is usually off and the crunch has agitated the powder in the hopper differently. I put the charge after the bump back in the hopper routinely and check the next one.

If the particular powder crunches a lot I use another measure. My Lee perfect doesn't have the metal scissor effect but has an elastomer cutter and it is more consistent with H4895 long stick extruded powder. My Lee Auto Disk with Double Disk Kit also has the elastomer cutter and handles rifle charges with stick powders well. For Ball and flake powder my #55 is king and it handles some extruded powders well too. It is a matter of try and see for me.

Gary

frnkeore
07-26-2011, 02:29 PM
The cutting of extruded powder will always be with us. Best way to avoid it is to use podwers with smaller granuals. 4227 worksamost as good as ball powders and some of the newer SC powders work well.

The best thing you can do is, do each charge as close to the same technic as the charges before. Even though you don't need to "knock" the handle when throwing, I always knock twice on each throw just as my technic. And as NickSS says, move the handle rapidly. Also, use as small a drum as you can for the charge thown. 5/16 to 3/8" for charges about 25 gr or less. 1/2" up to about 45 gr and 3/4" for over that. One of my best measures is the Lachmiller with a 11/16" drum for charges from 30- 60+ gr. I collect powder measures and have most all of them. I like comparing them but, it doesn't always turn out the same. It seems that powder measurers have some good days and some bad, maybe they need meds LOL

Frank

Rocky Raab
07-26-2011, 03:18 PM
There's no reason to cut powder kernels if you don't want to. The Johnson Quick Measure CANNOT cut kernels. LINK (http://www.quick-measure.com/)

frnkeore
07-26-2011, 04:28 PM
4895 is one of the easier powders to measure. The real test of a powder measure is 4759, 4198, 3031, 4064, 4350 and if you have any HV2.

I've found that only drum size and technic will help with them.

Frank

leadman
07-26-2011, 06:10 PM
I also use BW-36, does not measure well with a Redding measure or an old Lyman 55. Hopeless in the Lee disc measure.

GRUMPA
07-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Wow I guess even after doing this reloading stuff for over 20yrs I still have a lot to learn. Talk about some great input from members :holysheep. And Bluster I really appreciate that list you did, talk about being precise.

And IF I can remember during the winter (they're long here) I really should just sit down and try it out. Feels like I'm going thru my old S.P.C. (Statistical Process Control) course all over again.

And thanks again folks for the input (it helps).