PDA

View Full Version : Way to measure alloys

crabo
07-25-2011, 12:29 PM
I decided to reorganize my boolit collection and storage. I ended up with about 2 1/2 gallons of cast and lubed boolits. The boolits were all pure WWs, both air cooled and water dropped.

I did not want to melt them down to ingots again, but wanted to mix them 50/50 with pure lead. I didn't have a scale that would measure the small amounts well, but I wanted repeatable results.

My ingots weigh from 2.5-3 pounds. I took my trigger pull scale and put a lead ingot in a ziplock bag and weighed it. I then matched that weight with loose boolits in the same bag. Then I dumped them in my pot and stirred.

I know that this is not as exact as measuring with my hardness tester, but it sure lets you get close easily and without buying a new scale.

geargnasher
07-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Good idea, I bet a fishing scale would work, too.

I usually tare my bathroom scale with a 2.5 gallon bucket, then add equal amounts. Not so good for exact weights, but good enough for comparative weights.

Gear

fredj338
07-25-2011, 01:54 PM
I bought a cheap food scale, goes to 10#, or an old outdated postal scale works too, just doesn't read as high. I use it to weigh guns, count bullets (wt/100), it will get used.

fishnbob
07-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Good idea, I bet a fishing scale would work, too.

I usually tare my bathroom scale with a 2.5 gallon bucket, then add equal amounts. Not so good for exact weights, but good enough for comparative weights.

Gear

Darn good idea geargnasher. I have 3 different fishin' scales, one goes up to 8 lb and one goes up to 15 lb and one goes to 100 and I use them more for weighing lead than fishin'.:wink:

07-25-2011, 06:16 PM
A digital fish scale is an excellent substitute for a trigger pull scale.