PDA

View Full Version : 22 Revolver Thoughts

R.M.
07-25-2011, 02:27 AM
OK, I don't spend much time in this area, so if this has been covered, I'll apologize now.
The other day while giving a "Virgin Shooting Couple" a beginners lesson on shooting, I got the bright idea that I need a 22 revolver. I have a couple of K38's, so a K22 would be nice, but it just isn't in the budget. I got to surfing to see what's available and the cost, and the Taurus 94 caught my eye.
Any thought, pro or con on this piece? I'm sure the trigger would need a bit of a touch-up, but other than that, are they a viable alternative.
I would want a 6" barrel and adjustable sights, as it would be nothing but a paper-puncher.

2ndAmendmentNut
07-25-2011, 07:43 AM
Sense a Smith is out of the price range…

I hear of a lot of reliability issues with the Taurus 94. I personally have had very poor experiences with Taurus handguns, and will never buy another one. However I would recommend a Ruger Single-Six, or perhaps even a Bearcat. If you have to have a cheap Double Action most people are happy with those old H&Rs for the price.

Trey45
07-25-2011, 08:10 AM
If you can wait another month, Ruger will be releasing their SP101 8 shot 22LR revolver. I have every intention of buying one.

Scroll down a little, nice looing gun.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=120970&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

bobthenailer
07-25-2011, 09:51 AM
S&W or Ruger are the only options i would consider ! save your money a bit longer and save yourself more money & disappointment in the long run.
i always wanted a model 63 S&W but i could never find one at a fair price ! in years past i bought a Rossi SS 22 revolver sold it , then bought a Tarus SS 22 revolver sold it . both were the same size as the S&W 63. but no comparison to the S&W 63. but i am partial to S&W
In december 2010 i finally bought a new S&W 63 with a 3 inch barrel all SS construction and a 8 shot cly . Mission Accomplished !

Bodydoc447
07-25-2011, 02:46 PM
I guess I got the only good one. I bought mine about 20 years ago and have used it with satisfaction. My friends have used it for their kids for training and it has never given me or them a bit of trouble. I also have a stainless .41 magnum Tracker that I carry often without problems. I would sure be hesitant to buy one sight unseen given all the bad experiences reported here, but if you have the chance to check it out thoroughly before purchase, the 94 might not be too bad. I sure like mine.

Doc

Sensai
07-25-2011, 03:46 PM
No Doc, I got a couple of good ones too. I'm tired of butting my head against a wall, though, so I won't go into it more than saying that some people need to try something before they condemn it. Every manufacturer makes some lemons, and normally those are the only ones that you hear about.

Wayne Smith
07-25-2011, 05:35 PM
No Doc, I got a couple of good ones too. I'm tired of butting my head against a wall, though, so I won't go into it more than saying that some people need to try something before they condemn it. Every manufacturer makes some lemons, and normally those are the only ones that you hear about.

True, but the problem with Taurus isn't that they have lemons, it's that they have no service.

I have two .22 revolvers, an H&R 999 Sportsman and a Ruger Convertable Single Six. I would recommend either of them.

exile
07-25-2011, 06:05 PM
A friend has a Taurus 94 .22 that, as far as I know has been reliable. His more recently purchased Taurus .22 magnum snubnose has been a different story. The .22 lr. was purchased used, so it is probably quite a bit older. Hit and miss I guess.

exile

9.3X62AL
07-25-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm glad that Star Wars front sight post is dovetailed in place. That will make replacement a lot easier.

atr
07-25-2011, 07:48 PM
I feel fortunate to have purchased a K22...
I like the H&R revolvers....they have never failed me...although their style can be a bit clunky
I like revolvers with a swing out cylinder,,,or a break open....I dont like revolers like colt where you have to push the spent cases out....
If I were looking I would go for a H&R with top break or swing out

atr