PDA

View Full Version : Went to the range this evening

BSkerj
07-24-2011, 11:08 PM
I went to the range this evening with my 22-250. Temp was 75-80 degrees..no wind, sun at my back and best of all I had the place to myself. I could not believe it..one of the nicest summer nights that we have had and only one other person on the pistol range a couple hundred yards away. I live a little over a mile away so I am able to hop on the 4 wheeler and go. It is good to live in Idaho. :)

trooperdan
07-25-2011, 02:36 PM
It is almost like being in church when it is like that on the range!

Harter66
07-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Although I can't quad to our range its only 15 minutes from the house sharing the range is more the exception than the rule. I've shot on a few of those ranges w/all the rules, fees,people to say shoot or don't ...........all hail the lonely rural range w/bonus points for sunsets, sunrises and wind at your back . Um..........got carried away ,I spent 2 afternoons at our range over the weekend heaven indeed ............................

RayinNH
07-25-2011, 03:43 PM
I too was at the range last evening, all alone as well. The last person there logged out ten minutes before I arrived. It's nice being alone as you don't have to worry about being shot by some nitwit. You also get to go to your targets whenever you want. Best of all though you get to check the brass buckets for surprises. I managed to score 20 pieces of Privi 8mm Mauser. I could have also gotten .38 Special and .45 ACP, but I have more than I'll ever use so I left then for the next guy or gal :-)...Ray

Bad Water Bill
07-25-2011, 05:10 PM
I went to my LOCAL range (48 miles ) Thursday. Never fired a shot. Temp was110 in the shade and there were only about 5 shooters there. 0 brass available as people are even taking their 22LR brass home with them. [smilie=b:

1Shirt
07-26-2011, 11:33 AM
I like being at the range by myself or with just one other that I am with and that I trust. Don't mind a few shooters at the range IF they are shooters and not just range members who are there maybe two times a year, are not gun, safety, range protacol savy etc. Any more than a half dozen, and I am out of there.:coffee:
1Shirt!

higgins
07-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Although I hate hot weather, I normally go to the range in the mid-afternoon. It's hot as blazes but there's usually either no one there, or just a few people. The other day I had an early morning doctor appointment close to one of the ranges I use. After the doctor visit I went by to see what was happening, and at about 11:00 it looked like a weekend crowd- people everywhere, and on Thursday to boot! I would rather put up with the heat and be able to shoot at my own pace, take off the muffs and talk to whoever may be with me, etc.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-26-2011, 03:35 PM
I am almost always alone at the range i belong to , there are a few events on Saturdays and Sundays but not even that many .

nice to just walk out and check targets as i please , so quite and peace full

my concern is though that there won't be enough people to carry on the club , not sure why summer isn't a more popular time to shoot , fall is when it sees the most use

in my club you get a code , a list of don't do this a short orientation, and a be nice or you'll loose the range. 20 minutes from home and reasonable per year dues.

Jal5
07-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Most of the time I shoot alone at our club. If there are 3 or 4 others there between the pistol range, 100yd rifle and 200 yd rifle range its a crowd. I do avoid the high traffic times though purposely. Now the public range right near my house is a different story. Most days it is very crowded and I avoid it all the time. Joe

mongo
07-27-2011, 12:21 PM
I have to drive 30 miles to my gun club to shoot. The range that is open to the public is about half that distance. The last time I was there I was changing my target on the 200 yd when some jerk started shooting, 15 bucks and its a free for all, No range officer, just a guy collecting your fee at the gate. Havent been back since. The gun club has 200 members and I go during the week where about 9 out of 10 times I am the only one there.

HollowPoint
07-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Since going back to Self-Employment a few months back I've been able to get to the shooting range on weekdays rather than on the weekends.

I kind of envy you guys that get a chance to have the range all to yourselves. I've never been to the range regardless of the day or hour where I didn't have to share it with at least a dozen other shooters.

Since our shooting range has alot of shooting lanes, it's always nice when I get lucky and get there when there's only a dozen other shooters.

On the weekends you have to take a number sometimes and wait for a lane to open up. (No kidding) Especially when it's close to hunting season.

When muzzle loader season comes around I generally ask if I can be seated in the "Non-Smoking" section of the range. That's a shooting-range joke that always gets at least a Courtesy-Laugh from the range-officers. The muzzle loaders tend to cluster together when they sight in their rifles.

HollowPoint

biscot
07-27-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm also in Idaho, and use a club range, 13 bays (12 pistol, 1 rifle), outdoors, nice place, a few minutes from home. I usually go out weekday afternoons, year 'round. Typically might be a couple other guys there, most of whom I know, although I'm a fairly new club member so I don't know everybody. Every time I go there I thank my lucky stars to have such a great place to go shoot. Matches year 'round, pretty much every week - IDPA, USPSA, cowboy, steel challenge, etc.
Yes, Idaho is a great place to live. Shooters welcome, others can stay where they are!