PDA

View Full Version : What is your go to 22 LR ammo?

philthephlier
07-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Best 22 LR ammo in your opinion is?

mongo
07-23-2011, 12:07 AM
I shoot a lot of .22. Go to the range weekly and always bring my Ruger mark3 and other guns, But the Ruger always goes and I shoot a box of Walmart bulk each time. I find that the Federal 550 pack is the best for the price. Last week I shot a 500 pack of Winchester and had a lot of duds. Seems like no priming compound in the rims.. The Remington bulk pack did not do so well either with a lot of fail to feed. I shot 3 boxes of the federal without any problems at all before cleaning pistol. Tommy

reloader28
07-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Whatever fits in my guns and is cheap.
I'm not too particular when it comes to 22.
I got lucky and bought a bunch of bricks of Remington about 6 years ago.
I think it was about $8-9/500.
Needless to say, I'm glad I picked up 12 boxes of them.
I think I still have 7-8 left and they shoot good enough.
Since I started casting for everything else, I dont shoot them much anymore.

Bardo
07-23-2011, 12:10 AM
+1 for the Walmart Federals.

crabo
07-23-2011, 01:28 AM
Cheaper stuff: Walmart Federal Automatch runs all my pistols and rifles

Better stuff: Wolf Target/ SK Standard Plus (same thing, just different packaging ) I stop at $5.00 a box of 50

cbrick
07-23-2011, 01:44 AM
When I got the FA 252 9" I tried several types of 22 ammo for 100 meter smallbore silhouette. Settled on Standard plus as one of the most consistent without needing to get a mortgage on the house.

Rick

Mike the Dane
07-23-2011, 02:07 AM
CCI standard (in the blue boxes)

If money was no object Then Eley Tennex

geargnasher
07-23-2011, 02:08 AM
I don't shoot competition, but my GO TO .22LR is also Wal-Mart bulk Federal, has been for many, many years. I bought some fresh stuff recently as it became available again and it's still good stuff. I have several bricks of Winchester "555" and Remington bulk HV stuff, my guns all tell me it's not their favorite. DON'T buy Fiocchi, it's acrid, dirty, and won't hit a barn from the inside. Also not very reliable, won't feed in my Marlin or my 10-22, bunches of duds, and it's a new brick well-cared-for.

FWIW,

Gear

MtGun44
07-23-2011, 02:49 AM
Old Win Power Point is strikingly accurate in most of my .22s.

PMC Zapper is excellent in most guns, and PMC Match is an affordable high accy load.

Amazingly, PMC Sidewinder has been the most accurate in the CZ 452 American.

Bill

9.3X62AL
07-23-2011, 03:23 AM
Ah, THIS subject. :D

I've given up on most of the bulk-box ammo. Too uneven in shot-to-shot performance, esp. noticeable in revolvers with its wide-ranging report volumes and vertical stringing.

CCI Mini-Mags are not cheap, but they run in ALL of my 22 LR firearms--they are remarkably consistent in velocity via chronography--are single-best in downrange accuracy in several of the toys--and don't shoot poorly in ANY of them. I call that a GIFT. As for cost factor, I save a mint on centerfire shooting via use of castings, so I don't mind plowing a little cash back into the rimfire furrows now and then.

I have tried CCI Std. Velocity in a couple rifles--they ran my raggedy 10/22, and shot pretty well in the Remmy bolter. Not as well as Mini-Mags, though. No work with Green Tag or Tenex yet, dunno if sporter-grade arms can yield a tangible benefit from the REALLY pricey stuff. Truth to tell, the misses on rats and jacks aren't the fault of the Mini-Mags. Range work more than verifies THAT. :)

Southern Son
07-23-2011, 04:37 AM
For hunting, I think that Winchester Power Point does great out of my Brno Model 2, I don't have a .22 pistol at the moment, but I was using what we call Bake Beans (SK Magazine, came in a tin of 500 rounds). For my 1411 target rifle I haven't found a replacement for the Federal Gold Medal Match since they took it off the market. Still fooling around with thigs trying to find a new .22 target round that my rifle likes.

Bullwolf
07-23-2011, 06:05 AM
I have always had the best reliability when using CCI Mini Mag 22 LR, and 22 Short. I am also somewhat partial to CCI stinger, but Mini Mag is definitely my go to 22 ammo.

By reliability I mean always firing and feeding, unless the gun requires a odd overall length.

I have an old High Standard Sport King that is really fussy about 22 cartridge length, and prefers the shorter length CCI 22 standard box stuff.

My semi auto Marlin and Ruger 10-22's seem to run the most successfully for me when I use CCI Mini Mag. My Colt Ace conversions like the CCI Mini Mag fodder as well. My 22 revolvers, and pump action 22's are far less fussy about what I put through them, but some of the really cheap and dirty wax coated stuff will still gum them up after enough rounds.

Out of all the bulk 22 LR stuff I would rate the CCI stuff the highest, and I would rate the Federal stuff as definitely a close second.

I don't think I have ever shelled out the extra money for match 22LR other than the CCI green tag boxes. It was never all that impressive, or worth the extra money to me over the Mini Mag, but then I don't shoot 22 matches either.

- Bullwolf

JeffinNZ
07-23-2011, 06:55 AM
CCI Minimags and AU made Power Point.

Love Life
07-23-2011, 07:00 AM
Remington thunderbolts

303Guy
07-23-2011, 07:33 AM
My rifle likes boolits with a bit of nose support and Federal subsonics work just fine - very fine! Actually, I only use subsonics but they must have a hollow nose.

Houndog
07-23-2011, 07:45 AM
For hunting, Winchester Power Point, for plinking, Eley Trainer, for competition, Federal Ultra Match. (no longer made) I'll leave the china mart bulk pack stuff, no matter the brand, to the Grandson. It shoots about as well as he does. (7 years old)

Bret4207
07-23-2011, 08:30 AM
I liked the Win PP when our local Wally World carried it. These days I buy what ever is cheapest or available. I simply refuse to pay $6.50 for a box of 50 22's!!! When I saw that at a store I about dropped a load right there. That's why I shoot the magnum so seldom- cost.

Last time I did any real 22 shopping it was on line. There are still some case lot deals to be had if you have the scratch to make the buy.

Wally
07-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Remington Thunderbolts...very interesting ammunition. Looks good, shots ok, but one can expect FTFs and a reduced report every so often. However it cycles in my finicky Marlin 60 & 795...something the Federal bulk has issues with.

Tatume
07-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Federal Gold Match.

winelover
07-23-2011, 09:08 AM
I prefer the CCI Blazer of all the bulk packaged 22 rimfire ammunition for plinking. CCI stingers for hunting.

Winelover

Rocky Raab
07-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Another vote for those Aussie Power Points. They were my go-to varmint ammo for a long time.

And then I discovered CCI Velocitors. Holy moley...

If I'm just plinking, the bulk WW Super-X hollowpoints are great, or CCI Mini-Mags, or the bulk Federals. I've never much liked Remington rimfire ammo, and definitely stay away from that cheap Russian steel-cased crappola.

Hip's Ax
07-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Eley Match EPS (black box) but you must lot test. 1" at 100 yards is a maybe, less is a buy it all. But then again I am a match shooter.

JScott
07-23-2011, 09:35 AM
CCI Standard Velocity for most. Accurate in everything I have tried it in and a tack driver in the Smith Model 41. CCI Mini Mags or Winchester Super X if I need high velocity for some reason. I have a small supply of PMC Zappers left that also shoot very well but are now discontinued. I avoid Remington 22 LR at all costs. It has been extremely unreliable every time I have tried it.

Rhino
07-23-2011, 09:42 AM
RWS Geco (green box) works well in my FAS.

Shepherd2
07-23-2011, 09:46 AM
My preference is CCI Blazers. WalMart bulk Federals is my second choice although I think they have slipped in quality lately. No FTFs but many rounds have a low report. The bulk Winchesters don't work in any semi-auto that I own so they have been relegated to bolt actions and revolvers and won't be replaced.

The past year I have been able to buy CCI Blazers in bulk or brick several dollars cheaper than the WalMart bulk Federals.

Blammer
07-23-2011, 09:49 AM
my go to 22LR ammo would have to be Remington 36gr HP Golden bullet.

If I absolutely positively want to hit that fly, that's the ammo I grab.

For me it's the "gold standard" when I go squirrel hunting.

HeavyMetal
07-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Don't know if they still make it but Federal "lightening" load #510 wasa the most accurate stuff I could buy and reasonably priced. Bought a couple dozen bricks back when I shot the NRA 22 course and still have some.

Last year or five I've been playing around with rim thickness guages and have been amazed at how much of an improvement can be had by sorting by rim thickness!

My Diamondback dotes on the 510 load but will shoot the Remingtom YellowJackets almost as well. Again Not sure if these are still in production but if you have a wheel gun in 22 these will drop a Jack rabbit with one round DRT!

gnoahhh
07-23-2011, 10:03 AM
I have a couple of bricks of the discontinued Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match tucked safely away. It was/is the single most uniformly accurate cartridge in all of my rifles. With a value of upwards of $20/box, it gets parceled out quite sparingly though! It is however that which my custom Martini, Winchester 52, and M2 Springfield are sighted in with, so it would be my "go to" ammo for serious shooting. My second-tier .22s have been showing a fondness for certain lots of Wolf Match, with which they sometimes approach the accuracy of the above mentioned rifles. As with any brand, when I find a lot that shoots well, I go back and buy as much as I can afford.

I only use cheap bulk ammo of any brand, in the old Marlin 81DL and Remington 12C pump when the targets are empty beer cans and/or if kids are involved. I experienced too many variations and misfires with Remington bulk Wally World ammo that I won't go near it now. For low end ammo, Federal standard velocity seems to be the most consistent, to me. My Woodsman and Colt Officer's Model sure like it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-23-2011, 10:07 AM
I shot mostly semi-auto pistols at short range (25 yards or less)
for that, I prefer Fed. Gold Match but I can't afford it.
I use the Fed. 711 standard velocity target ammo.
others are Win T-22 (which doesn't seem to be available anymore).
or standard velocity aquila 'match Pistol'

If I break out a rifle and want to reach out to 100 yards,
I use High velocity ammo, recently I like the Aquila 'super Max.'

and lastly just for plinking is Federal Lightening,
I bought a trunkload of that back in the clinton era.
the lube has dried out some which seems to make about 1 in 10 fail to eject,
I re-activate the Lube with a shot of G96 or WD40 (if that's all I have in the trunk).
then roll them in a paper towel to wipe off excess,
then they eject just fine.
Jon

roysha
07-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Aquila SE 38 grain HP subsonic in my CZ 452 LUX. 10 shots into a 45 caliber bullet hole at 35 yards, if I do my part which is seldom.

Winchester Wildcat that I bought 10-15 years ago for most of the rest of my 22 RF guns, rifle or pistol, except for one Marlin auto that especially likes the Walmart bulk Federal.

Oh yeah, I have a small stash of Winchester Mark III Pistol match from umpteen years ago that will shoot with the Eley Tenex that I bought from the same era. The Winchester cost less than 1/10th what the Eley cost. I don't currently have a target/match rifle but one could shoot a possible using this ammo with either the M-52 or the M-37 I had and stupidly sold. My Benelli MP-90 loves the stuff. Unfortunately, I can't shoot well enough to truly appreciate it in the handgun.

DLCTEX
07-23-2011, 08:05 PM
I was in Wal Mart today and thought I'd pick up some CCI mini mags. $6.97!! I then looked at the new price on 550 Rem. Golden bullets $19.97. Federal cheapies $1.97 box. I will be loading 22 hornet with my cast boolits for plinking. Leave the rimfires in the safe. I can reload 38 Sp. cheaper than Mimi Mags.

dbldblu
07-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Across the board CCI Minimags work for me. Have had really good results with Aguila Hi Vel 38 gr HP. It does vary by firearm; my 22/45 shoots well with everything including Blaser.

treadhead1952
07-23-2011, 08:55 PM
I have been looking around for a good round for my Russian TOZ 8, a Tula Arsenal made single shot that I really like shooting a lot. So far the Remington/Eley Target Rifle seems to be the best so far. I have heard that Remington and Eley have had a spat and there won't be any more after what is available is gone, so it looks like I will have to go for the higher priced spread, Eley Target Rifle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/treadhead1952/EmT630001.jpg

imashooter2
07-23-2011, 09:00 PM
PMC Zapper... My guns all like that cheap Korean junk.

ElDorado
07-23-2011, 09:35 PM
CCI Mini-Mag HP. They work great in everything I have.

frnkeore
07-23-2011, 10:15 PM
I also like the Blasers for my rifles but Fed Champion (they aren't plated and come in 50 round boxes) for my S&W 22S auto. They feed great and rarely do I get a misfire in a 90 round Bullseye match. But, the blasers out shoot them in my rifles at 100 yds.

Frank

oscarflytyer
07-23-2011, 10:26 PM
For plinking/fun - whatever I have/whatever is cheapest.

For/when I was shooting competitive smallbore rifle, Eley 10X.

For squirrel hunting - CCI Mini Mags.

For my Ruger MK II Govt (6 7/8" hvy bbl - purchased in 1987) I tested about all the 22 ammo out there, up to and including the Eley 10X (EXPENSIVE) Target ammo.

I found that the Eley shot the VERY best, but the Remington Target rounds gave up very little to the Eley, and trounced about everything else. Haven't tested anything new in the gun in over 20 yrs - just keep plinking with whatever, and shoot the Rem Targets when I really want to know what the gun, AND ME! are capable of.

I am also partial to the plain ol' Winchester white box lead RN round as well for everything but the MKII for target shooting.

schutzen-jager
07-24-2011, 10:56 AM
shoot 20+ different .22's rifles + pistols on a regular basis - best all around reliable ammo seems to be federal bulk or lightning - good results with cci also - worst for accuracy + reliability is remington golden bullets + thunderbolts ! - i'm talking just shooting + hunting ammo , not much experience with match ammo -

ohiochuck
07-24-2011, 11:59 AM
SK HV & Sub HP or Wolf. Use mostly in a Winchester model 61 & several custom model 52s. This is the most accurate ammo I have found in the price range.
Also use some sub sonic Winchester & Eley. Beginning to use several .22LR accurizers with other ammo- PACO, D Rock & Neal Waltz. No report yet.

Casting Timmy
07-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Bulk Walmart Federal for my pistol
Federal Target (325 per box) Walmart for plinking with my rifle
Lapua Center X in Competition for my rifle

mroliver77
07-24-2011, 09:16 PM
I have a small stash of yellow box WW .22rf for times I need to hit something. I stashed quite a bit of bulk .22 away but I hate that stuff! I bought a big ole box from the CMP 10 -15 years back that is REM plain box rn ammo It varies greatly! I am about done with .22 RF! Thinking of selling most of them and like Dale stick with .22CF that is accurate.
I can load .38special pretty cheaply. I think I will get a Lee 6 cav 105gr mold for general pinking and work up a load with Titewad powder.

It makes me kinda sad as I have always loved the .22RF.
J

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-25-2011, 04:46 PM
CCI stingers , for hunting

in an semi extensive test i did several years ago, i think 1997 i tried every brand i could buy for less than 10 dollars a 50 that they had at the store at the time out of thunderbolts , fedral match, wildcats , and a few others the cci ran the best in that rifle it was also darn close to the cheapest at the time also. the federal match was no noticeable difference over the cci from that gun.

the truth is every rifle is different , so buy 50 of several types and try them you will find that your gun likes , then buy a bunch of that.

Hammerhead
07-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Best regardless of price?
All my rimfires seem to agree that Mini Mags are highly accurate and will cycle the actions even in the dead of winter.
Blazer for low cost practice.
CCI priming seems to be the most reliable.

ka0tqv
07-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Tried about 6 rifles and the regular Federals seemed to have the edge.

Jamesconn
08-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Well you can use the ripoff CCI stuff or you can buy the federal bulk packs. I have already filled a .50 cal can with .22 federal bulk. I have shot atleast 3,000 and didnt have one bad one except one that was my fault I have a henry .22 lever action and i tried to shoot too fast and jammed it but just pop it out with a cleaning rod and it was fine.

I have also hunted with the .22 federal bulk ammo it does perfectly fine ive shot rabbits phesants and coons with it and it works fine.

The only regret I have is that I did not start saving ammunition untill last year right when i get into guns everything triples.

dmen
08-03-2011, 06:25 PM
CCI minimag solids, work well in all my 22lrs. dmen

EMC45
08-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Another vote for CCI Blazers. I like them and all my .22s like them too. They are consistent and accurate. Can't stand Remington Thunderduds. Varied report, so-so accuracy and a bunch of misfires. But as others have said here I can load .32 S&W-L and .38 Special cheaper than I can shoot rimfire so that kind of negates me dumping a bunch of $$$ into .22LR ammo. That and the fact the bricks of Blazer that were about $9.99 a brick 3-4 years ago are now like $20 a brick now at my local spot!! I do like .22, but I never thought I'd see the day when I could shoot CF ammo cheaper than .22.....

cajun shooter
08-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Federal Lighting, CCI Velociter and Winchester 22 Dynamags

superior
08-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Federal bulkpack 36gr. hollows seem to do the job in all of my 22's.
They provide great accuracy and have proven to be extremely deadly on larger varmints.
I've found that they shed their hollow cavity in the form of a ring while the base of the bullet continues to penetrate deeply, where other makes have stopped short. My 10-22 T spits them into one hole at 75 yards, the 241 speedmaster (unscoped) is a jaw dropper with them, and both the Nylon Apache77 and 10-22 Sporter love them. The bulkpacks make serious wound channels when compared to the many others I've tried. As long as the accuracy and reliablility are there, I place the most importance on the type of autopsy results I see.

Shooter6br
08-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Got rid of my semi autos Use a Ruger single six 22RF/22Mag. Digests any 22 ammo

snowwolfe
08-04-2011, 06:11 PM
No good answer, every one of our .22's likes a different ammo for best results.

Fenring
08-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Winchester Subsonics. 40gr lead hollow point. They have just released a 42gr version but I have not tried those yet.

frogleg
08-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Winchester Powerpoints

stubshaft
08-06-2011, 10:19 PM
I have a couple of bricks of old Winchester Power Points for shooting hogs, and generally shoot SK standard plus in my guns. If i'm taking the kids out to plink then I'll get them whatever is cheap EXCEPT Remington Goldens. Too many misfires.

c3d4b2
08-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Lapua Center X for competition
CCI Standard Velocity for fun

atr
08-07-2011, 09:58 AM
CCI Blazers
Federal works in all my 22's EXCEPT the High Standard Sport King....

PS....have you tried buying 22 shorts lately....the $$ almost double that of 22 Long Rifles,,,and the Longs have almost disappeared

Depreacher
08-15-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm in Arkansas, our .22 Remington Thunderbolts and Golden .22's have the Lonoke Arkansas location printed on the box. These shoot well, and eject well from my fairly fussy Marlin 60, and my VERY fussy S&W 2213 automatic pistol. Everybody runs their Remmys down, but I, and another shooter I know, have great luck with them. He shoots more than I do. Bought 2 cartons of Winchester Super-X in March 2009, which was when Wally world started slowly getting some ammo in after the Obama Ammo wipeout of late 2008. They are accurate but won,t cycle any of my automatics. Shot cheapo Federals some during the 60's, 70's, and 80's but they would foul up-gum up everything I put them through. We hated them, but they were cheap. Besides, that's the only .22's you could buy at the OUACHITA BAPTIST COLLEGE STUDENT UNION in 1961 when I first started shooting them. HA, try that today !!!!!! We kept all our rifles, shotguns, and handguns in the dorm rooms, but were supposed to keep them in the dorm mothers room. That dorm was an arsenal. I even kept an MP-40 Schmeisser rolled up in a sleeping bag in the closet for a couple weeks. :twisted:Today, you can get in trouble for having a pocket knife on campus, on most, if not all, of AR campuses. :roll:

jameslovesjammie
08-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Federal Bulk Packs...because they're cheap and my 5 year old isn't accurate enough to know the difference.

Hanginon
08-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Different rounds for different purposes,,

CCI Minimags for game,
Federal bulk pack for Appleseed shoots, (I'm Cheap)

Matt_G
08-17-2011, 09:10 PM
My S&W 22A likes CCI Pistol Match.
I didn't do a lot of testing with that gun though.
That will change shortly.

I have two other recent acquisitions in 22 LR that I haven't shot yet.
A Ruger Mark II my FIL gave the wife and I a while back and a recently purchased S&W Pre 17 4 screw K-22 Masterpiece.

I'm taking a friend out shooting on the 27th and I am going to find out what these guns like. I have 10 different kinds of ammo to test.
Here's the list:

1. CCI Mini Mags - 40 gr. copper plated round nose
2. CCI Mini Mags - 36 gr. copper plated HP
3. CCI Pistol Match - 40 gr lead solid
4. CCI Standard Velocity - 40 gr. lead solid
5. CCI Sub Sonic - 40 gr. lead HP
6. Winchester Power Point - 40 gr. plated HP
7. Remington Subsonic - 38 gr. lead round nose HP
8. Federal ValuePack (550 rounds) - 36 gr. copper plated HP
9. Federal AutoMatch (325 round pack) - 40 gr. solid
10. Federal Champion Target - 40 gr. solid lead round nose

I'll post the results in a couple of weeks.
Hopefully one of the above will be a winner in all three guns. [smilie=1:

08-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Ah yes, another 22rf thread:)
I like CCI Blazer

I know the local super serious rf target nuts shoot the expensive Eley or RWS stuff. Talked to one the other day and he just ordered about 800.00 worth so he could get the same lot# for this year's 6 month competition cycle.

Jon K
08-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Aguila Match(Blue box)/SK Standard Plus aka Wolf Match Target/RWS Target....in that order.

Jon

WILCO
08-18-2011, 06:54 AM
I like CCI Blazer.

That's how I roll. Hurts to think about the time I paid $9.99 for 500 of them.

stinkybriches
08-19-2011, 04:00 AM
i give the nod to the federal auto match. err, i should say the guns did.

Link23
08-19-2011, 11:13 AM
in all my semi's they get fed a steady diet of federal bulk pack only(i looked into the future about 10 years ago and i knew it was gonna go up in price, so i bought 40,000 rounds of it for 8 bucks for 550) and when i shoot my bolt action or single shots they only get CCI STINGERS unless im sighting them in..

Link23

jnovotny
08-26-2011, 06:12 PM
I have just recently discoverd these CCI Blazers. Very consistant and good accuracy. Before it was Winchester Wildcats the only thing that wood feed in the Ruger 22/45.

08-31-2011, 06:12 AM
Shot some China-Mart Federal, Auto Match, Bulk 325 in a box. They show some some promise.

Marine Sgt 2111
08-31-2011, 07:05 AM
I use the Federal Bulk from WalMart for just tugging the trigger and fast shooting with my Buckmark or practice rapid rifle drills at close range. For shooting distance, Wolf match that has been sized with a "Waltz" die. Same ammo, same, die but set up with the hollow point pin in it and make devastating hollow points for head shots on squirrels. Wood chuck's good center chest shots...one shot kills at 100 yds. I am quite fond of or was of Federal UMB ammo but communist business plans/plots have changed that.

cwskirmisher
09-01-2011, 10:37 AM
I acquired a case of Army issue Remington .22LR, standard lead 36?grain bullet, standard velocity. Let me tell you, it out shoots any other ammo I have ever run through my Marlin 60SS. Better than the CCI, Federal, Win, Rem with copper plated bullets. Better than Stingers, Ely, you name it. With a bench and scope, at 50 yards I can literally put them all thru (ok, almost through) the same hole. No other ammo comes close, in my rifle.

plmitch
09-01-2011, 12:18 PM
We buy the CCI Blazers by the brick, good working and cheap.

Twinkiethekid
09-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Mine is ELEY, expensive but in my opinion it's the best.

inkedbylee
09-19-2011, 12:50 AM
wright now my best is remington sub-sonic hold a group of 10 rounds in .221 even with my can on it shoots at .232 it works for me

captaint
09-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Most of my rimfire shooting is with auto pistols. Any more, the mod 41 gets only CCI Stand Vel. Fewer problems, very consistent. Mike

tarbe
09-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Historically, Win Power Points for hunting and the cheapest bulk Rem or Fed for plinking.

I did just pick up a brick of Aguila Interceptor HP (40 gr at advertised 1,470 fps).

Unfortunately my chronograph was not working yesterday when I tried to verify the velocity claims.

I can tell you the Aguila sure did sound a lot hotter than standard HV ammo. TOF was notably less as well, and you could tell they were hitting the gong a lot harder.

Wish the darn chrono was working!

Adam10mm
09-25-2011, 09:25 PM
CCI Standard Velocity

Ironnewt
09-26-2011, 08:55 AM
I have had a lot of good results with CCI Green Tag for competition in my High Standard or my S&W41. Their Mini Mags for small game but I don't get out for that very often. Works well in my Ruger 10/22.

sffar
09-26-2011, 09:06 AM
CCI standard target has been very good the last several years. It's reliable in my FAS target pistol, and it's affordable. I like their SGB as well, though I don't know if it's still available.
Otherwise it's RWS Rifle. Excellent, but expensive.

DocHoliday
09-26-2011, 09:43 AM
All 3 of my marlin bolt guns like the CCI velocitor ammo. Now the problem is the y don't make it the same anymore. It used to come in a clear pack that stated it was loaded with gold dot hollow points and were coated in a wax lube. The new ones in the blue box just don't shoot the same. Looks like i will have to try some mentioned here.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Guess I don't have a favorite .22 unless I am wanting to show off my Clark Custom 77/22 at which time I'll pick up some of the target/match types, although there are a bunch of "off the shelf" types that will give me ragged 10 shot groups off the bench.

One thing that an earlier poster said caught my eye however. The comment being that he wasn't sure the high end ammo had any real advantage in the typical .22s we use.

In general, I agree with that thought. However, a friend and I had some friendly shoot off sessions 2 - 3 years back.

First year we used mostly target/match ammo, including some of the Lapua that was had sold for the 15 - 17 dollars per fifty - now pushing $20.00?? - and the second year shooting the typical off the shelf products.

Jack has a Savage Mark I or?? single shot, the kind that comes from the factory with target type sights, but on which he has mounted a 4X Nikon.

My rifle for the shoots was the Clark Custom w/3X9 Leupold EFR.

We shot off the same bench and bags, at 50 yds in good conditions, SHOOTING from the same boxes of ammo.

The first year, Jacks' rifle left me wondering at my much larger investment - well over double - as his Savage shot right along side the Clark and with some ammo bested me.

The second year was a different story. While the Savage did shoot respectably for a rifle of that price level, the Clark out shot it consistantly, and in some cases by a sizable amount.

The CRuger just kept shooting those nice little groups, ammo after ammo after ammo.

THEN, I knew why I had spent the bucks on an outfit of this level.

Soooooooooo, the point is, if you are willing to spend the time and $$$$$$ your typical off the shelf rifle will probably show you an Off the shelf ammo that shoots very well from it. It may take a bunch of testing. While the pricey products very likely will show you some really nice groups from a number of different products.

BUT ------------------- the expense of a rifle or barrel in the quality level of the Walther installed on the Clark Custom will GREATLY expand the number of options available.

By the way, I shoot lots of CCI Blazer in the RUGER Mark IIs and in the Clark, but have a number of brands/types on hand due to the testing done with the CRuger and the "slabside" Mark II w/2X Leupold.

The slabside really likes one of the Wolf target/match ammos!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

HDS
10-04-2011, 03:01 AM
CCI standards, buy them by the 500 pack. Plan to try Norma .22lr soon.

marvelshooter
10-04-2011, 07:22 AM
For plinking whatever Walmart or Dick's has. For my Marvel conversion (a .22 upper on a 1911 frame) Aguila S/E standard velocity.

CZGuy
10-05-2011, 09:00 AM
It outshoots everything else I have tried so far, including Eley. Fed 711b is my other go-to. Same POI but more spendy.

CZGuy

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-05-2011, 11:16 AM
CZguy,

Interesting how .22s show their "likes" as providing you were shooting Eley Tenex EPS, that is one very good ammo.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Hammerhead
10-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Tried some CCI Velocitors (plated 40 grain HP) in my little CZ Scout (16" youth rifle). 1388 fps (!) and a 3/4" group at 50 yards.
Gotta' love the Scout.

badbob454
10-05-2011, 01:10 PM
quick-shok it splits in 3 pieces to absorb all the energy , in soft tissue ,drops skunk size critters in their tracks... and will shoot solid through hard surfaces like a 2x4 and remain one piece

Jamesconn
10-06-2011, 12:12 PM
I use federal bulk packs exclusively hunting up to pigs and punching paper; walmart has them the cheapest never had any problems with it ever through thousands of rounds. All the match and other brands are an absolute waste of money unless competing but they kill just is dead as the other ones and I've tried different bulk packs and they are **** only federal is good. I store just poured in a 50 cal can no scratches dings or anything all good condition bright and shiny

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Well, while I don't shoot or buy a lot of the pricey match/target ammo, I also do not agree that they are an, "----absolute waste of money ----------".

Without testing ammo of that quality, I could not know just how well my Clark Custom 77/22 would shoot, nor would I have the pleasure of watching those tiny little groups form on the targets.

No, such ammo selections are not my everyday .22 ammos, and no I will not continue to buy a bunch more, but the investment in my small stash was not money wasted.

I do have some odds and ends of boxes of Lapua, Eley Tenex EPS, Rem/Eley and others still on hand, along with part of a brick of a couple Wolf products and part of a brick of the Old and no longer made Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match - Olympic ammo, which I will continue to ration out for my shooting enjoyment.

Waste of money? Not at all for this is about as close as I will ever get to shooting something at a competitive level. :awesome: [smilie=w:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

crabo
10-07-2011, 12:59 AM
SK Standard Plus or Wolf target at 4.50-5.00 a box of 50 is a good deal. It shoots really well. Some people don't need more than the cheap bulk ammo because their guns can't utilize it.

If you are sniping pigeons at 100 yards, you need good ammo.

hedgehorn
10-07-2011, 10:41 PM
I shoot blazers or the Walmart federal bulk pak in everything but my model 41. I shoot the cci standard velocity in it.

dudel
10-08-2011, 09:13 PM
For mine, Remington Subsonic or CCI Subsonic when using the cans.

Otherwise Remington Golden Bullets work well in the Glock 17-22 and TacSol AR upper, Neos and Ruger Mark III. The Walmart Federal bulk packs are a good standby as well.

I can't recall a problem with any ammo IF my guns are clean and properly lubed.

Dave C.
10-13-2011, 07:16 PM
WCC 79 ball white box mil sup for practice.
Wolf match target for matches.

OnHoPr
10-16-2011, 07:02 PM
The go to .22 ammo for me has been the CCI mimi mag for 30yrs. Always fire, always feed through a semi-auto, never terribly inaccurate, always have the same crack of fire, in any gun in my experience. Before that it was Sears standard velocity (very accurate) for $52, case of bricks, and I would go through those and a few boxes in a season. I still buy 5 or 6 boxes a year of different ammo to test and have had good results for one box them try them again and then WHAT. Maybe I just getting old.

El Gato
10-16-2011, 07:15 PM
CCI Blazers for my BSA Martini's plinking ammo. Wolf Target for competition and CCI short CBs for plinking in the backyard with the BSAs. My Ruger MK 1 seems to like Blazers.

josper
10-17-2011, 05:27 AM
I prefer the CCI Blazer of all the bulk packaged 22 rimfire ammunition for plinking. CCI stingers for hunting.

Winelover

+1 ON BLAZER 22'S i HAVE A 10-22 That I rebuilt myself.The only thing stock on it is the receiver.I have tried many brands and The one that is working best is Blazer.

Herb in Pa
10-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Federal Champion standard velocity, Dick's Sporting Goods carrys this on a hit or miss basis. Last batch I bought went for about $22/ Brick. Shot some this evening @ 50 yards from a 64 action Anschutz MPR.

Markbo
10-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Easy answer. Whatever that particular rimfire likes best. [smilie=1:

I routinely shoot a minimum of 20-25 different loads in every rimfire to find it's favorite 2 or 3 loads. If it's a hunting gun, I choose standard velocity and subsonic because subsonic ammo can be A. amazingly accurate in all sorts of guns and B. can be surprisingly deadly when the right tool is used to make a great big ol' HP! :)

I have a couple of guns that will shoot Eley Practice ammo into itty bitty groups - but only one specific lot... every other lot is just mediocre. I will buy/shoot Mini Mag if that is what available but will choose Blazer over that. I will never again buy 'bargain boxes' of ammo because despite some of them being pretty good, none of them are as good as lots of other choices that are just a few cents more. I will never buy Velocitors again. They have never shot worth a darn in any of 2 dozen .22s I have tried them in.

The old Federal Gold Medal Match was great in every gun that I ever shot it in. Not so the "New" FGMM. All that being said I have cases of Blazer, Sidewinder & Wolf Match Extra and Match Target. Why? They each shoot really, really well in most of the guns I shoot a lot.

10-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Well, while I don't shoot or buy a lot of the pricey match/target ammo, I also do not agree that they are an, "----absolute waste of money ----------".

Without testing ammo of that quality, I could not know just how well my Clark Custom 77/22 would shoot, nor would I have the pleasure of watching those tiny little groups form on the targets.

No, such ammo selections are not my everyday .22 ammos, and no I will not continue to buy a bunch more, but the investment in my small stash was not money wasted.

I do have some odds and ends of boxes of Lapua, Eley Tenex EPS, Rem/Eley and others still on hand, along with part of a brick of a couple Wolf products and part of a brick of the Old and no longer made Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match - Olympic ammo, which I will continue to ration out for my shooting enjoyment.

Waste of money? Not at all for this is about as close as I will ever get to shooting something at a competitive level. :awesome: [smilie=w:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

That sums up my thoughts on the subject also.

The truth is some 22s simply won't shoot anything all that well- so anything poured down their throats is plenty good enough. My Win 52B-Sporter really likes my plinker go-to... the CCI Blazer and may justify an even better match grade ammo but I sure can't afford to feed it that stuff on a regular basis. On the other hand my Win 52D-US feels downright ashamed shooting anything but the best. It is fully capable of tiny bughole groups and is a very competitve rifle. Shooting cheap bulk ammo in it would be somewhat stupid. It likes Eley Match black and Eley Tenex red- but at $12.50 to $18.50 a box for the stuff that needs to be purchased in multiple bricks and with the same lot#, it gets a rationed diet. Haven't shot serious 22 competition in over 40 years but it's nice to know there is one 22 in the rack that could rise to the occassion if desired. :)

barrabruce
10-25-2011, 09:18 AM
My go to ammo is Aussie T22 winchester . Shoots pretty good in my guns for the last 30 yrs.
Well Only got one left now!!!

Yeah I get an odd banger or flyer but I'm not bench shooting either.

Now me mate would only use Eley tenx batch number XXX after trying a few new batches when they first hit our shores.
But he is pretty high up in the IBR thing as well and don't mind laying down a few thou on the right Batch # if it comes up.

Me can't afford $$$$ for a box of ammo that maybe will shoot good!!!

ME I shoot what ever my gun likes. T22's.
I have found better accuracy occasionally in some batches of different ammo but,......the T22's have been pretty consistent for me in my gun for a lonnnng time. Not the mostest tightest groups I have ever shot but consistent and accurate enough for what I need to do with them.

I have shot these std velocity while shooting many wabbits 'n other stuff..some to big to mention at longer than normal range that is supposed to be good for over the years.
If your gun shoots cheap target stuff good they hang out at the longer ranges better than the high velocity stuff and the solids don't matter and preferable in head shooting and more penetration.

Range is as long as I can shoot the eye out of what I aim at. Differs on how I feel ..how I'm shooting ...conditions etc etc.
Usually minute of end of drink can at 200yrds off the bags pretty constant at that.

Shoot what your guns says it likes.

We all wish we had a gun that shot Cheapo ammo like Tenx .

(Well I did once but sold it...4" at 25ydrs) :)

Give your gun time to lube or greese up on trying different ammo.

Cheers

Happy hunting
Barra

josper
10-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Federal Champion standard velocity, Dick's Sporting Goods carrys this on a hit or miss basis. Last batch I bought went for about $22/ Brick. Shot some this evening @ 50 yards from a 64 action Anschutz MPR.

Very good shooting and "Frank " will injoy the picture,lol.

Herb in Pa
10-25-2011, 10:58 PM
The Federal 714 shoots well for what it is, but ya got's to try the higher priced spreads as well........

Shedhunter
10-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Winchester Dynapoints work for me in several different firearms as a plinking round. Winchester Power Points for hunting and Wolf Match Target for more serious target work. I remember buying CCI Blazers for $7.99 a brick but .22 ammo prices have gone through the roof.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Yep Shedhunter,

Even here, less then 50 miles from the CCI factory, the Blazers are much higher then in the "good Ol'Days" of 4 years or so ago.

Still good ammo for the current $$$$$$$$$

I have also found the Winchester Power Point to be a good ground critter round from my Clark Custom 77/22.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Hammerhead
10-28-2011, 02:32 AM
I see CDNN now has rimfire ammo. Looks like some good prices on CCI ammo.

Clinebo
02-27-2012, 03:41 AM
CCI Mini-mags....been shootin em for decades.

Rockchucker
02-28-2012, 05:56 PM
I like Wolf match target, that's all I've ever shot thru my 18" Kidd bull barrel. It runs around 5.95 per box when I can find it. #10 in my book.

Bealzybub
03-01-2012, 02:00 AM
Federal bulk from WallyWorld has always worked very well for me. I popped a quail at over 100 yards with my Tru-Glo equipped Ruger 22/45 MarkIII hunter with the stuff. I've found Remington to be inconsistant so I just dont buy it anymore but I quit a long time ago, the stuff might be better now but why switch from what works. I've been running Eley Match in my CZ 452, It's a bit quieter in the bolt gun.

Jamesconn
03-03-2012, 06:46 PM
I have a henry lever action rifle and I have tried every bulk pack there is they all have quite alot of misfires with the exception of federal. They work great not one misfire yet about 3-4 boxes shot so far and i filled a 50 cal can of em and they work great for hunting CCI might have slightly better ballistics but I have shot many small game all dead as can be if your aim is true.

I do use CCI boxes to carry ammo from my federal bulk packs when hunting

340six
03-03-2012, 07:31 PM
I shoot Federal bulk in most everything, have 40,000 but when i really want close groups i use real target ammo and the better the ammo the better it gets. Even standard Volatility Remington shoots very well in the Colt ACE 1911
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/Colt%20Ace/AceFenderTag004.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/Sig%20522/Sig522.jpg
and just got 15,000 Remington Government Surplus on the way from the CMP

kcajeel
05-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Most of my 22 shooting is bullseye at my club and CCI standard velocity is my favorite in my Hi Standards or S&W 41. Federal Automatch AM22's are pretty good too and run about the same price. They're a little hotter if you need the extra to cycle your action.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-06-2012, 08:34 AM
[QUOTE=Bealzybub;1614210]Federal bulk from WallyWorld has always worked very well for me.

me too shot's good in all of my 22 LR:2gunsfiring_v1:

Shiloh
05-06-2012, 09:20 AM
CCI blazers for accurate plinking. I have used these in indoor bullseye matches before when the supply of CCI Standard Velocity got tight.

Shiloh

Wal'
05-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Winchester T22 Aussie made.

My Hammerli 280 chews it up. :bigsmyl2:

http://C:\Users\Wal'\Pictures\T22 .22lrgr.jpg

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-06-2012, 10:38 AM
When I was buying up different .22 ammos to test my Clark Custom 77/22 I found a box of "Assie" made, Winchester match ammo.

Didn't even know there was such a thing.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Wal'
05-06-2012, 11:13 AM
When I was buying up different .22 ammos to test my Clark Custom 77/22 I found a box of "Assie" made, Winchester match ammo.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Yep, Winchester has its own factory down here, has been here a long time. :?: damn good stuff. :smile:

Wal'
05-06-2012, 11:21 AM

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Here, check out their website. :bigsmyl2:

http://www.olin.com.au/app_cmslib/media/lib/1006/m3205_v1_winchester_australia_law_enforcement_10.p df

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Wal'

Thanks I'll check it out!!!!!!!!!!

CDOC

tacklebury
05-06-2012, 07:29 PM
CCI Mini-mag HP's. ;)

Tom-ADC
05-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Maybe not the best but my 22's seem to like it a lot, I have a fair stash of Federal Champion put away, when I get serious with one of my 22's it just gets the job done, My Clark 10/22 really likes it.

randyrat
05-06-2012, 08:39 PM
CCI standard Vel. works every time and shoots better than I can. It is tough to find right now around here. I see it "on line" but I need to order bunches to make it worth while.

Others do work but cost is a factor
Aguila works good but the smell of that powder drives me crazy.

montana_charlie
05-06-2012, 09:19 PM
For 'working ammunition' I want something that is dependable, clean burning, and consistent from box to box.
That is CCI Mini Mags.
CM

paul s
09-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Federal 711B and a new find is the CCI Standard Velocity sold at Dick's @ $29 per 500, been very accurate in a number of rifles.

WinMike
09-17-2012, 03:05 PM
This has probably already been said (honestly, I only read about 70 of the 121 posts!), but IMHO, letting your ammo choice "settle in" is often more important than the choice of ammo.

My most accurate 22 rifle is a vintage Win Mdl 75 and my second most accurate is a re-worked Ruger 10-22. I need no fingers to count the mis-fires with the 75, and only 5 (or so) for the Ruger.

But for both, when changing from one cartridge to another, even within the same brand, shooting 5-10 cartridges seems to "re-acquaint" the barrel, and accuracy will even out. Yes, sometimes POA will change too, but I've become a lot more tolerant about various brands.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
09-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Interesting Winmike,

I read on Rimfire Central Forum, info which agrees with your findings.

I guess I should try it out some time to see.

My Clark Custom 77/22 just shoots so very well, with any ammo it likes, which is a whole bunch of them both pricey and off the shelf, that testing ammos for groups I have just gone from one ammo to the next without a barrel seasoning session.

I need to set down while I still have some of the high end match/target ammo on hand and maybe shoot 5 or so 5 shot groups while changing ammos between each 25 and see just what kind of progression I get in group improvement as the barrel settles into each ammo.

Might be interesting, and as I've said before if it makes that much difference I should start shooting for prizes or $$$$ cause it is already a real sweet shooter.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Spedini
10-04-2012, 02:04 PM
RWS Subsonic,Winchester Subsonic and Eley Subsonic works great in my Anschutz 1422.

Cheers from Sweden

ShooterAZ
10-12-2012, 10:32 AM
My go .22LR is CCI Mini-Mag. It has been the most reliable & accurate in my .22's.

32ideal
10-12-2012, 10:43 AM
The go to 22rf ammo for me is Winchester Xpert22 Hollow Point 36gr lead bullet cartridges in the 500 bulk cheapie pack, is accurate and functions 100% in all my rifles/handguns, it dispatches small critters instantly out to 50yds and works for squirrels with head shots.
32ideal

Blacksmith
10-15-2012, 03:15 PM
After testing my Contender carbine likes CCI Small Game Bullet it has a wide meplant. My sons Winchester 52 prefers Remington Subsonic Hollow Points. For everyday shooting and for the grandsons to burn up it's Government Surplus Remington 40 gr. lead round nose projectile and a velocity of approximately 1135 fps., at the muzzle, from CMP. They just had it back in stock and sold out again in a couple of days, but at $125.00 plus $24.95 shipping per case. it can't be beat. Midway wants double for the same stuff.

Hal
10-16-2012, 08:46 PM
My goto stuff is over 20 years old... still got almost 2 cases left... it is the Winchester SX solid points in the old plastic boxs. Works great in my T/C's and Model 39's... about 1.25 " on a good day scoped at 100Yards