PDA

View Full Version : RCBS vs. Lyman sizing die ???

bscott433
01-12-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm looking at a .452 sizing die for my Lyman 45 sizer. What I'm wondering is, looking at the pictures on MidwayUSA, the RCBS die only has 4 holes at 90 degree spacing. The Lyman die has 8 holes at 90 degree spacing at two levels.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=435551

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=639796

What is the difference? I'm wanting to size 200gn. SWC and 200gn RN

BruceB
01-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Either manufacturer's dies will do the job.

For my part, I prefer Lyman bullet-sizing dies, because I think their interior finish is smoother, and because I like the greater number of options presented by more lube holes at varying depths.

I do use quite a few RCBS boolit-sizing dies, and they work fine. I reckon that forty years of experience with Lyman-made dies may have prejudiced me somewhat, but I do prefer them.

Hmmm...not much help, was I????

beagle
01-13-2007, 02:49 PM
I'll second that on the Lyman dies.

I've had better retults Lyman dies than with the RCBS dies.

The number of holes makes no difference as long as the groove range is covered. In accordance with Pascal's law, the lube should fill grooves as long as it has access as pressure is felt wherever there's access for the nube.

So, as long as a groove has access to even one hole, you're all right./beagle

Mr Peabody
01-13-2007, 11:01 PM
When I can, I buy the Lyman.
Seems to take a little less pressure to fill the multi lube ring bullets.

bscott433
01-15-2007, 01:53 AM
Thanks guys!
I'll order the Lyman die then.

Buckshot
01-15-2007, 01:23 PM
...............The RCBS lube-size die has an interior annular groove cut into it that intersects those 4 holes. So on the outside it looks like you have only the 4 ports for lube supply, but they are actually supplying lube to an interior circular ring.

Now, it's been awile since I've actually held a RCBS die so if they've changed their deisgn in the past 5 years or so the above is hogwash and please pay no attention to it :-)

.............Buckshot