PDA

View Full Version : some of my 30-06,

Link23
07-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Well these are some of the 30-06 rounds i made yesterday, they are straight water dropped wheel weights i made about 4 months ago, so they should be plenty hard, they have alumn. gas checks over 16 grn of 2400. i hope they shoot good

frkelly74
07-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Well they look good. Well done so far. If the boolit fits the bore then they should do fine.

Char-Gar
07-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Pics are sometimes deceiving, but is looks like you have a pretty stout crimp on those bullets. A crimp is not needed on 30-06 rounds, and might cause you some problems.

Water dropped WW bullets are way harder than needed with 16/2400. You would be better served with air cooled WW.

I am not trying to rain on your parade, but I suppose you posted the pic and post here for comments. If you are not happy with the results, the you have a couple of issues to look at.

Link23
07-21-2011, 12:15 PM
yeah these are my first ever rifle rounds ive made up, i put crimp on to take the flare off the mouth that is about it...(the brass has a perm crimp look because it has only had J@#$%# Boolits though them) my 06's bore is 3095 (its a columbian Mauser) and these are 311
they should work fine ill take a picture of the target when i go shooting this friday to celebrate the end of finals week!!!!

i loaded up 5 Dummy rounds of these and they wont feed through my box mag on my 06 any idea why? they kinda shoot up and bind so i have to load them single shot?

Link23

geargnasher
07-21-2011, 12:50 PM
"permanent crimp look"??? Are the mouths tapered? Aren't you using a flaring die?

+1 on what Chargar said.

I'm not familiar with Columbian Mausers, was the follower and box designed for a different caliber?

Gear

Link23
07-21-2011, 12:53 PM
The columbian Mausers were built for 8mm, but then rebarreled for 06, mine was done in 52 (what it says on the barrel) so they cut a little notch for the tips of the 06 round to fit in the mag well, ill take a picture here in a bit and show yall

geargnasher
07-21-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm wondering if the follower is hitting the shoulder in the wrong place, pushing the cartridge up at the wrong angle when closing the bolt, causing it to bind.

Gear

Link23
07-21-2011, 01:51 PM
here are some pictures i just took.. see the cut out little thing at the barrel end of the receiver? and that is when it was rebarreled.....

OOPS how did that Dragonav get in there :mrgreen:[smilie=w:

white eagle
07-21-2011, 03:05 PM
I always crimp my rifle loads
don't hurt anything
I even have crimped some of my Hornady
bullets in the appropriate crimp groove(cannalure)
but try for yourself ....
may be more consistent as far as neck tension
may even aid in accuracy

Link23
07-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Gear,
Is there anything i can do to stop this? maybe seat the boolit out a bit more or something?

Shiloh
07-21-2011, 06:22 PM
What boolit is it??

Shiloh

Link23
07-21-2011, 06:28 PM
the lee 309 185

geargnasher
07-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Gear,
Is there anything i can do to stop this? maybe seat the boolit out a bit more or something?

Not sure. I'd have to play with it so see exactly what's going on. Maybe have a local gunsmith give it a quick check?

Gear

Recluse
07-22-2011, 02:24 PM
You might consider the Lee 160 gr boolit that has more a spire tip. it's also shorter, so your OAL will be less, and that may solve your magazine/feeding problems.

You'll be giving up 25 grains of weight in the event you're looking to hunt, but I hunted for years with a 160 grain jacketed projectile in 30-06 and the deer never seemed to complain. . .

:coffee:

Link23
07-23-2011, 11:12 PM
I took them shooting yesterday and they shot amazlingly! I was hitting point of aim at about 300 yards away the funny thing is, that if you put 2 boolits in the magizine well they would cycle fine and smooth but anymore than 3 and it binds up. They have some umph to them they went through a empty propane tank at about 50 yards!

waksupi
07-24-2011, 12:36 AM
I took them shooting yesterday and they shot amazlingly! I was hitting point of aim at about 300 yards away the funny thing is, that if you put 2 boolits in the magizine well they would cycle fine and smooth but anymore than 3 and it binds up. They have some umph to them they went through a empty propane tank at about 50 yards!

Link, you may just need a new magazine spring.

Gtek
07-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Link, you say two works- three no go. Feed ramps were just enough for Spitzer. A rounded nose boolit does not like a lot of these mauser ramps. More rounds means for spring force pressing upward probably not allowing nose to climb over feed ramp. Load a couple dummies and Black Sharpie up noses and see with stack if it hits sharp edge at bottom of feed ramp. Not a problem at all to tune up, most I do just to clean up. Diss weapon and come from bottom through mag well hole and polish with dremel or air tool and work on bottom edge and polish ramp face. YES - you can go to far, SLOW AND LOW man! Also mauser type extractors do not like single feed. You are forcing it to do something it was not designed to do. It is to ride up bolt face behind extractor lip. Keep doing so and run risk of breaking extractor. Gtek