PDA

View Full Version : Lead bullets in an AK-47 Rifle

RGMJ
07-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Hi Guys,

I was considering purchasing an AK-47 rifle 7.62 x 39 russian variety.

I understand that this rilfe is gas operated.

Can I use gas checked lead bullets in this rifle?

Won't the gas port which bleeds off combustion gas from the brrel to operate the action be clogged by lead particles?

What are your experiences with firing lead bullets in an AK-47 ? Any good or am I limited to use jacketed bullets?

I noted Lee has 2 bullet molds for 7.62 x 39 Russian for the AK-47. Which is better - the alox lube style or standard lube groove?

Any information would be highly appreciated.

Thank you !!

got_lead?
07-21-2011, 03:47 AM
I don't see why you couldn't use lead. There are lots of folks who shoot lead boolits in M1 carbines. The Carbine gas piston is much more prone to fouling than the piston / op rod on the AK. Contrary to nay sayers, the carbines run just fine on lead boolits, I load lead for my M1. My bullets are plain base, but gas checks are OK too.

The AK gas port is very easy to access and clean, if it were to get fouled with lead deposits.

Addtionally, I shoot thousands and thousands of rounds through my AR-15 with a Ciener .22 LR conversion. Shooting the lead does foul up the gas port and tube with lead, wax, and carbon. However, in switching back to .223, it takes about 3 rounds to blow the lead and crud out of my gas tube. After 3 or 4 centerfire rounds, I just pull the bolt, clean the goo off the piston, relube, re-assemble, and it's good to go. An AR-15 gas system is way more finicky than the AK. And lead bullets haven't hurt it a bit.

I haven't even gotten around to loading for my AK yet, I think I picked up the dies, but don't have any brass brass yet. If I did reload for it, I think I would want a reduced pressure load, so the brass wouldn't get flung out so far.

Give the lead boolits a try, if they don't work well for you, your'e only out a little effort.

MikeS
07-21-2011, 07:24 AM
I was wondering the same thing about a Ruger Mini 30. It's supposedly a scaled down Garand action, would it have problems with lead boolits?

HARRYMPOPE
07-21-2011, 08:37 AM
I shoot them in a Siaga AK in 308 with no problems and 2MOA accuracy.Member truckmsl probably shoots more lead thorough his AK than anyone i know.he is a good source of info.I use the Lee 155 Harris bullet in mine with aluminum GC's and 30g of 4895 @ 1900 fps.

George

Rangefinder
07-21-2011, 10:55 AM
I feed my AK a LOT of lead without problem. Yes, it can be done pretty easily, and works well. I'm using the Lee TL312-160-2R over 16gr. H335 for plinking, and you can stuff it full for a full-power load.

Spend some time reading here: http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=13453

truckmsl
07-21-2011, 11:28 AM
RGMJ,

Keeping in mind that all guns are unique when it comes to cast, and you won't really know what your gun likes until you try, here's my two cents worth after many k's of cast through my AK in 7.62x39:

I use a gas checked .314 135 grain boolit because my barrel slugged .313. My barrel is a bit rough, but I get extremely little barrel leading after a typical outing, which for me is around 200 rounds. I do get some lead deposited on the inner surface of the gas block as well as the piston head, which I remove after each outing. I don't rapid fire much, (don't laugh HMP - you did it too!) but shoot quickly enough to heat up the barrel a fair amount.

I use a 14 mm reamer (your size may vary) turned by hand to remove the gas block deposits and set the gas piston head into a small container of hyrogen peroxide and white vineger for a few minutes to dissolve the lead on it. This all takes just a few minutes and is simple to do.

I 'm using aluminum gas checks thanks to HarryMPopes's influence, and LAR's carnuba red lube. I wasn't comfortable with a tumble lube design for this application, but others may disagree.

I've used the Lee 155 grain boolits with success but had to beagle the mold to hit .314. They performed well, but I prefer my 6 cavity mold.

A note about powder choice: I was successfully using 2400 powder for a long time, but my buddy's new AK wouldn't cycle well with it. I found better accuracy with AA1680 powder, and even at low charges - 18.3 grains - my buddy's AK cycled just fine with it.

RGMJ
07-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied. Great info and lots of experts here!!!

I finally made my purchase for the AK-47plus reloading dies, cases and bullet molds....thanks again!!