PDA

View Full Version : A big thank you

Cariboo
07-21-2011, 12:22 AM
To Cast Boolits, let me see if I can briefly cover the last couple of months that lead up to a great day casting up some Boolits.
Early May I picked up a boolit mould at the gun show it is an Ideal 225415. (Now I have moved 2 times since I last cast some boolits and several years have gone by and some things have changed that I had not noticed.)
I stopped by a friends tire shop an acquired about ½ a bucket of ww, melted them down and was amazed at how many did not melt.
Put a old set of handles on the mould dug out my Lyman dipper (had not found the Lee drip pot yet) and proceeded to not cast one decent boolit in the next 2 or 3 hours.
Frustrated I sat down at the computer and brought up Google I think the 1st site that started to open my eyes was LASC A BIG THANK YOU to them. I think I read the whole site and from there I wound up at this site.
While surfing through many threads I came across an incredible group buy, I joined Cast Boolits at this point hoping to get in on it, thanks Blammer continued to read thread, after thread, after thread. Anyhow you get the point.
Found the Lee drip pot, don’t get me wrong Lee makes and OK product. Like a VW many more people could afford it, too often we try to compare it with a Corvette, or another way of saying it we would all love champagne on a beer budget. Oh yes, back to the pot, boy was that thing dirty and abused. Thanks to those talking in a thread about boiling water in it to clean it (amassing). The temperature setting does not seem to turn anymore and is on high. Maybe one day, the occasional piece of cold lead or unplugging now and then did OK.
Got a mould 225107 37Gr. FN from NOE thanks SwedeNelson, with it was a small bottle of Bull Plate. Well OK, so I tried it. Yah I know I had read about it, but... holy sheep s**t that stuff is great thanks Bullshop.

Don’t remember what threads talked about using a wood stick to stir the molten metal, thanks I found it to work well. A word of caution I used a piece of 1x1 that was around 10% mc at first, the tinsel fairy was threatening.

Thanks BruceB a smooth thought out routine works well.

So with the advice and thanks to many more on this site I sat down today an enjoyed casting a couple hundred 358311 (I need to clean this one up); 3-400 of 225107 (what a joy); and 4-500 225415. And they look good!

A special Thanks to KEN, the Moderators and Staff

Dean D.
07-21-2011, 12:59 AM
Great story Cariboo! This is one amazing place filled with many very helpful folks. Happy to have you aboard!

Southern Son
07-21-2011, 02:05 AM
When I started casting for my 45/70 I was using a bottom pour pot to make Lyman Postells. I thought that I had a dud mould cause I was lucky to keep half of what I cast. Then I found Cast Boolits. Someone on here told me that big boolits come out better if you pour them with a ladle. Then I read about the correct way to use the ladle. Then someone told me about consistant temperature of the melt and the mould. The last time I cast some big boolits for my 45/70 I cast 200 odd boolits. I only had about 5 that went back into the pot. The knowledge needed to cast good boolits is all here and by far most people on here are only too happy to give that knowledge to anyone who asks.

45nut
07-23-2011, 09:20 PM
I appreciate the thanks, gives me hope that not everything I do offends someone.

hiram1
07-24-2011, 10:43 AM
45 nut you guys do a real good job here.i cast now and told friends to get on and now thay cast i just wanted to say GOOD JOB AND WELL DONE AND THANKS

Wayne Smith
07-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Ken, I guess you just aren't working hard enough. Ain't offended me yet!

Cariboo, welcome back to the Silver Stream. It is nice when things come together, isn't it?

GL49
07-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Ken,
You really do need to work harder. Seems that now I've found there is a second person that admits to not being offended.
Seriously, this is one of the best run/moderated sites I've been to, with any and all rules stated and enforced done for the betterment of the site and the people who visit here. Thanks. Wouldn't change/don't change your vision of what this site should be.

Arisaka99
07-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Ken, you havent offended me yet either, I guess you are really slacking!! ;)

labdwakin
07-24-2011, 04:35 PM
I appreciate the thanks, gives me hope that not everything I do offends someone.

Not quite everything... I'm fine when you're sleepin... :bigsmyl2:

Bad Water Bill
07-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Cariboo welcome to our family and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Ken Rest easy. With a family of close to 20,000 there is no way that everyone can be happy or not step on a couple toes now and then.

You and the rest of the crew do a heck of a job helping most of us enjoy and learn more about casting than any other site on the net.:drinks:

If I goof once in a while Oh well say thanks for reminding me that I goofed and I go on learning.

PS I stole Cariboo's thread. Shame on me.:oops::oops: