PDA

View Full Version : Bucket of jackets

Harter66
07-20-2011, 11:40 PM
So I took them to the recyclers. The guy tells me if it looks like ammo he can't take it maybe in California. So tonight I got a single jack and started making mill chips out of them. I sure hope it flys.......................

skeet1
07-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Harter66,
You might also try another scrap dealer. It's kind of like when you were a kid and your dad said no, you then went and asked your mom and got a different answer.

Ken

Harter66
07-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Actually its worked out found about a pound of TMJS that didn't purge. Yes im sure there's another scrapper its just that they're so far away out here. There's a local guy but he deals in semi loads and all the junkers here haul 100 miles 1 way from here. The guy I went to paid $2.50 for the other copper and $2.10 for the other brass so I wasn't a wasted trip.

3006guns
07-21-2011, 09:58 AM
I scrapped an 8 gallon bucket (yes, they make such a bucket) full of old European military fired brass about three months ago. I spread the entire mass out on a tarp first and went through it three times, removing the occasional live round for further "processing". The result was a heavy bucket of brass extrusions. When I lugged it to the scrap yard, I spoke FIRST and told the operator what I had done and that I guaranteed there was nothing injurious in the bucket. He accepted it readily and paid me almost 100 bucks......which financed more reloading components of course.

Oh, I live in northern California.

Harter66
07-21-2011, 10:18 AM
This is just a 5er' full to about 2" of the top w/processed range scrap and ruptured jackets basicically what he said w/o saying it was if it doesn't "look" like ammo parts I'll take but that looks like bullets from who knows whet and I don't wanna chance it and you might have a bunch of full jackets in there cause your not wholly honest. Anyway i'll do a few pounds every evening and in the future as I process then no issues. 6# single jack makes short work of them jackets and turns TMJ 45s into quarters right quick.

grullaguy
07-21-2011, 10:40 AM
I pound my jackets and casings flat on a section of railway rail. I do it for 15 or so minutes when I feel the need to beat on something.

I sold over $300 in ammunition scrap this year and the recycler is always happy to see me.

DCM
07-23-2011, 09:07 AM
For jacket crushing why not use a piece of steel plate on the concrete over the jackets and run it over with the truck? I would not try this on asphalt as I think it would be too soft.

Harter66
07-23-2011, 11:39 AM
I did the truck crushing thing last week at work. You'd think a 5000# wheel load would pretty much flatten any ammo can .not so.