PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Points on deer

JDL
06-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Does anyone use hollow points (in less than .45 cal.) rifle loads on deer?
My reason for asking is because I have a Lyman 358318 HP(246 grains) for my .358 Winchester. The cavity (.680" deep) extends to about half way of the first drive band and this causes very violent expansion in wet newsprint, at higher velocity,with much reduced penetration. My thought is to shorten the HP pin so the cavity will only be .2"-.3" deep but, thought I'd see some discussion before I "Bubbaed" my mold. Comments?-JDL

MT Gianni
06-06-2005, 08:41 PM
The worst shot up game I have ever had was with a 357 125 gr J word h.p. that hit the spine on a down ward shot and sent bullet fragments, spine and shoulder bones half way down the loins and throughout the front shoulders. Too much expansion can be tough an a meat hunter. I would see about making a couple of pins out of drill bits and expermenting with depth and bullet speed to find what you are after. Gianni.

Bass Ackward
06-06-2005, 09:26 PM
My thought is to shorten the HP pin so the cavity will only be .2"-.3" deep but, thought I'd see some discussion before I "Bubbaed" my mold. Comments?-JDL

JD,

That is pretty much standard fair for me. It makes molding rifle bullets with a lot less rejects. And they are better balanced.

You have plenty of weight there for smaller big game as far as penetration goes. So expansion isn't going to hurt ya. And if you really shallow it up, you can use candle wax to fill the cavity. Expansion will be immediate, but limited to the depth of the hole at first. Kinda like a wide meppy. So if you use the right mix to hold together, you transfer a little more energy is all.

But if you elect not to shorten it up, then too much expansion is likely and you will lose part of your bullet weight. You have enough experience to guage this.