PDA

View Full Version : My first shotgun

Jamesconn
07-20-2011, 02:15 AM
I'm still working on it I think it's about $267 mossberg 500 new, with stock and pistol grip but I'll have to get a swivel sling hooked on it.

Anyway I was wondering does anybody here have a FFL in south texas or Texas at all I have family all over the state.

Located FFL dealers where I live but they want 50-60 dollars just to give it to me, I forgot to say I'm buying it online that's why I need the lisence I've looked at gunships down here for a mossberg but they are overpriced and not always new.

MT Gianni
07-20-2011, 09:18 AM
I'd keep looking James. That is not a great price here, there should be something local that comes up around the start of dove season, Labor Day or thereabouts.

oscarflytyer
07-20-2011, 11:49 AM
A Mossberg 500 can usually be had for about $200 around here. I see them pretty regularly. Mine is used, and have no prob getting one used in good condition. They are about bulletproof. And parts are cheap. Actually bought mine years ago for $85 and $15 parts! I would hold off 'til around dove season as well...

Jamesconn
07-21-2011, 12:10 AM
When is dove season?

And is it possible to buy a 12ga mossberg 500 and buy a 20ga barrel and swap them out so I don't have to buy a whole new shotgun

WILCO
07-21-2011, 12:26 AM
Located FFL dealers where I live but they want 50-60 dollars just to give it to me, I forgot to say I'm buying it online that's why I need the lisenceI've looked at gunships down here for a mossberg but they are overpriced and not always new.

Not trying to be a jerk, but there is a thing called "Spell Check".........

As for FFLs, try this: http://www.fflfinder.com/

Recluse
07-21-2011, 02:11 AM
I'm still working on it I think it's about $267 mossberg 500 new, with stock and pistol grip but I'll have to get a swivel sling hooked on it.

Mt. Gianni is right--that's pretty high for a Mossberg 500, new or otherwise. Keep looking. Dove season in Texas begins on Labor Day, or the first weekend in September. The sporting goods stores will be advertising shotguns at pretty good prices next month.

Also, the pistol grip and sling look "tacticool," but take it from an old ex U.S. marshal--they're not only useless, but dang uncomfortable to shoot and hard to be accurate with.

Zero practical value.

In the marshals, we were issued Remington 870 Chipmunks--a real sawed-off 12-guage shotgun. The stock grip was slanted so that the recoil forced your wrist and forearm up and back. A straight pistol grip forces your wrist and forearm straight back--and can be painful.

Here is (one of) the shotgun(s) I used to carry on duty.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_73384e27c17549566.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1521)

It would get your attention in a hurry, but it was great to carry concealed with a shoulder rig.

Were I you, and looking for my first shotgun, I'd get a Mossberg 500 with a 28 inch barrel, and I'd get it in 12 gauge. You can swap out barrels easy as can be. For self/home defense, I use a Mossberg 500 with an extended magazine tube and a 20 inch barrel. I personally prefer wood stocks as opposed to synthetic, but I'm a bit older and not into the tacticool stuff. :)

Don't rule out finding a great deal on a used Remington 870 Wingmaster, either. Great, great shotguns.

:coffee:

Jamesconn
07-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Ok soon as next month starts i should have the rest of the money when I get a real job I found a conversion kit that changes the mossberg from tubular to detachable box magazine they have 6 round sticks and 10 rd drums.
I am sorry about my spelling but 99% of all posts I make are on my phone cause I'm never home and its easy Its just hard to hit the spacebar with fat fingers as phones are getting smaller and smaller.

Jamesconn
07-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Yes I to like wood better than tactical black and inwas going to get one with a stock and a pistol grip.

jpatm2
07-21-2011, 10:52 AM
And is it possible to buy a 12ga mossberg 500 and buy a 20ga barrel and swap them out so I don't have to buy a whole new shotgun

No, it is not possible. You cannot convert a 12g to 20g by swapping barrels.

crabo
07-22-2011, 10:46 PM
I'd keep looking James. That is not a great price here, there should be something local that comes up around the start of dove season, Labor Day or thereabouts.

Or the end of dove season

"Were I you, and looking for my first shotgun, I'd get a Mossberg 500 with a 28 inch barrel, and I'd get it in 12 gauge. You can swap out barrels easy as can be. For self/home defense, I use a Mossberg 500 with an extended magazine tube and a 20 inch barrel. I personally prefer wood stocks as opposed to synthetic, but I'm a bit older and not into the tacticool stuff." Recluse

Good advice, get something you can hunt with, shoot skeet, and have fun with. Interchangeable chokes is something you will wish you had, as you learn more about the shotgun and how to shoot it.

nicholst55
07-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Or the end of dove season

An excellent suggestion; there will be a bunch of lightly used shotguns in pawn shops right after dove season - say October-November. A lot of people buy guns and try hunting once; decide it isn't for them or they need cash for Christmas, and sell their 'nearly new' guns. You can frequently find deals on them in the classified ads or on Craig's List, etc.

Definitely get a gun with screw-in choke tubes; you'll find yourself wishing that you had done so, otherwise. Mossberg parts, accessories, and barrels are much less expensive than they are for Remington 870s.

The only thing I disliked about the Mossberg that I owned for a lot of years was that it kicked the snot out of me when shooting slugs!

DLCTEX
07-22-2011, 11:15 PM
I can totally relate to the phone and fat fingers. I also have no use for the feature that tries to guess what the next word you want is. It doesn't think like I do, ever.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-22-2011, 11:38 PM
an 870 is a fine choice also , it does allow for longer mag tubes where a 500 requires a barrel change to change the length of the mag tube

there seem to be 3 guns every one makes accessories for , Ruger 10/22 , ar15 and Remington 870's

mosburge 500 being a relitivly close second to the 870

my brother has saved himself money with his last 2 shotguns he got deals on them a traditions ans a charles daily , some deal he can no longer get barrels for either one

in some ways it's a bit like buying a glock you can buy something else and spend forever looking for holsters parts and accessories or you can pay a little more up front and walk into most any store say a 2 digit number and they have a holster for you.

you might think i own a glock i don't and i struggle to find accessories for what i do own that work

last winter i was seeing used but barely used Remington 870's in the box for 250 , and i wish i had the $ to get 2 when i saw them , not sure if you plan to hunt deer with it also some states thats all you can use , texas is not likly one of them but the slug barrel can be nice even if it is the smooth bore with rifled sights they shoot the cheap slugs fin out to 50 yard sometimes more

my slug gun has a 28 inch modified choke barrel and wears a 2x7 Nikon scope a recent add on with the need for glasses , it keeps winchester super x rifled slugs 2 3/4 touching at 50 yards although they do vertically string it does about a 3-4 inch group at 100 yards about 3 inches low with a 50 yard zero
i have lost track of the number of deer i have shot in the last 20 years but it is more than 20 i made up for any year i didn't get one by getting 2 , 3, or 4 in other years. they sure don't run far when you hit them with an ounce of lead.

my only complaint about my deer gun is it is long and heavy , so i added a sling and that makes it better to carry all day..

Jamesconn
07-23-2011, 12:13 AM
I found a kit adaptor that changes mossbergs from magazine fed to detatchable box and i will get that later, but i plan on buying a couple barrels 12ga smooth barrel first one that will come with the gun then 20ga smooth bore and 12ga rifled bore and maybe a super short one for defense and a long one for hunting

jpatm2
07-23-2011, 01:38 AM
I found a kit adaptor that changes mossbergs from magazine fed to detatchable box and i will get that later, but i plan on buying a couple barrels 12ga smooth barrel first one that will come with the gun then 20ga smooth bore and 12ga rifled bore and maybe a super short one for defense and a long one for hunting

You realize that the 20g barrel will only work on a 20g shotgun, right? It will not work on a 12g shotgun.

waksupi
07-23-2011, 01:53 AM
James, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but have a suggestion. Like you, I wanted a real by golly pump shotgun for my first one. Instead, dad got me a single shot 20 guage Winchester break action. I do believe it made me a much better wing shot, as I knew I had to depend on that shot. A big plus, if you have something like this for a first scattergun, you won't be spending so much on ammo, and they tend to be lots less money to buy.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-23-2011, 02:14 AM
your not going to be able to switch easily form 20 to 12 ga my advise if your looking for easy to find ammo go 12 and forget about the 20.

20's can be fine guns but you will never have the ammo selection you get with 12ga
and accessories are more difficult to find

if a fella wanted about every kind of barrel one could need a 26-28 inch barrel with choke tubes for hunting birds and such , and a short 18 inch cylinder bore slug barrel would cover most things one might also want a rifled slug barrel but rifled slug barrels take the more expensive slugs and while they do increase effective distance to around 125 -135 yards on deer you pay for it with each shell at around 1.75-3 dollars a piece compared to the slugs i use at about 50-60 cents each , i have a cousin that uses them he doesn't shoot any more deer than i do cause it is a rare thing to be able to see that far in the woods we hunt

DCM
07-23-2011, 08:31 AM
When is dove season?

That would not work well if at all. The size of the shells is so much different that you could not keep the 20Ga.in a 12Ga. mag tube. I also highly doubt that the 20Ga. bbl would fit in the 12 Ga.

Look around at the local marts or farm supply stores that sell firearms. They usually have the best prices on Mossbergs as they get a quantity discount that most FFLs dream of. The last Mossberg we bought was from the local farm supply store for less than my favorite FFL could get it for. It was at his recommendation actually.

Punisher422
07-23-2011, 11:56 AM
You might also try www.armslist.com. It's the craigslist of guns, since craigslist doesn't allow firearms to be sold on their website. I don't know about Texas, but I've seen a lot of Mossberg 500's for sale here in Missouri.

Dannix
07-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Check out Summit Gun Broker (www.summitgunbroker.com/).

i.e.
http://www.summitgunbroker.com/RIOT_GUNS.html
http://www.summitgunbroker.com/LONG_GUNS.html

I shouldn't have checked there just now. They just got in some very tempting shotguns, and my wallet says no.

mold maker
07-23-2011, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=WILCO;1340026]Not trying to be a jerk, but there is a thing called "Spell Check".........

As for FFLs, try this: http://www.fflfinder.com/[/

Your spell check leaves a lot to be desired. It tries to be a mind reader, and doesn't have a clue what your trying to say.
Not all devices even have "Spell Check".
I am offended over constant criticisms about perfect spelling.

richhodg66
07-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Have you looked around local shops? I see decent, serviceable Mossberg 500s in the $150-$175 range all the time. They are simple and the aftermarket stuff for them is unbelieveble. Remington 870s can usually be had for just a little more.

Don't ignore other makes too, I saw an older Savage pump in great shape dirt cheap in one shop recently, they don't make those anymore and it predates the interchangeable chokes, but they had steel receivers and were good, solid guns.

Rockydog
07-23-2011, 03:15 PM
James, Just to confirm a bunch of the advice you got on here. The 12 Ga. Mossberg will be a great gun for you new or used. I've owned a couple of them. The only thing I ever disliked about mine was that it has a nasty rattle in the pump forend that can't be stopped other than by jamming a wad of paper toweling in it when you get out of the truck when using it for deer hunting. As you know, parts and add ons for these are everywhere. I know that the detachable magazines look cool but from a field or defensive shotgun standpoint they are probably a bust.

Number 1, 10 rounds in a magazine are heavy, making the gun not only harder to carry but also throwing the balance way out of whack and making it harder to swing and shoot.

Number 2, With the tube magazine already on the gun, you can slip extra shells into the tube during any break in the shooting. Shoot a couple, slide a couple in. With a detachable, you have to take it out of the gun to reload, leaving you helpless during the time it's in your hand.

Number 3, The drum magazines have to rotate etc. and being mechanically more complicated than a simple tube and spring are more likely to jam than a magazine tube. If you really want the drum get it but for the price I'd buy more ammo to practice with. In a defensive mode the guy with the training always wins over the guy with the toys.

A good solid 12 gauge with a vent rib barrel, interchangable chokes, even a rifled choke for slugs if you use them, is the way to go. Get a small second bead installed about halfway up the barrel if it doesn't have one. It helps when aiming the gun more like a rifle when turkey hunting etc. Sling swivel kits are readily available and would be a nice addition. By the way, you can get Win AA extra light loads if recoil is a concern. I teach womens trap shooting and find that 12 ga. light loads in a bit heavier shotgun are far less punishing than field loads in most any 20 ga. gun. RD

Jamesconn
07-23-2011, 04:43 PM
I am going to start loading my own shells the reason I wanted to be able to swap with a 20 ga is because i have 30 gallons of 20ga shells and only one gallon of 12ga but I plan on volunteering at the local skeet range to change that

richhodg66
07-23-2011, 09:17 PM
For the price of what another barrel costs you, you could probably go out and buy a H&R Topper or similar Stevens single shot in 20 gauge. My first shotgun as a kid (still have it) is a 20 gauge Topper and shot for shot, they're as good as anything, come up faster and will handle reloads more readily than a repeater. Don't sell the break open singles short.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-24-2011, 10:58 PM
I am going to start loading my own shells the reason I wanted to be able to swap with a 20 ga is because i have 30 gallons of 20ga shells and only one gallon of 12ga but I plan on volunteering at the local skeet range to change that

trade hulls on the swapping and selling board even if you trade 2 20's for every 12 you will have a lot of 12 ga hulls

i think you said you scored the hulls at scout camp , expect that to be about the only place 20's will outnumber 12s that's been my experience any way
in the club i grew up in I only knew of one guy who loaded 20's we loaded 12's we weren't what you would call hand loaders , we had a Mec 9000 we set it up for a load very very close to a AA super handicap and left it that way we added powder shot and primer. add a shell add a wad pull the handle pull the handle. I was the handle puller my dad inspected hulls and placed them in the holder , my brother added wads every pull a shell dropped off the end ready to fire once you got going it went fast i don't recall our actual output but 10 a minute seems reasonable in 15-20 minutes we had enough for each of us to go shoot 2 rounds of trap

any way most shot shell loaders are set up to make the same thing lots of times and don't switch gauges easily

I haven't loaded shot shells in years now , but good times when we did