PDA

View Full Version : My luck is holding right on it's normal course.

Muddy Creek Sam
07-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Murphy keeps visiting me. Spent all my available cash to get my Truck AC fixed. is a necessity this year, Over $500 in Parts. So had a Radiator blow out on my Backhoe today. No idea what that will run. Tractor is a 1971 Massey Furgeson I inherited from DAD. Anybody want to get Murphy to come see them, I can't take much more of his company any more. Thanks to GP100man for getting my Truck to blow cold air someplace besides the floor. Dealer quoted $900 labor for the job.

Sam :D

wgr
07-20-2011, 12:05 AM
i feel for you . i had to fix two ac this year and get my wifes tires on her car . about 2000 bucks man i feel taken

Bad Water Bill
07-20-2011, 12:30 AM
What is air conditioning? All i can afford is a 30+ year old whole house fan. Maybe for my 80th birthday present to myself.

geargnasher
07-20-2011, 12:56 AM
Most AC jobs these days run between $1500-$2500 to fix correctly after a compressor failure, you got off cheap! Mrs Geargnasher's compressor is failing after 157K miles, it already plugged the top half of the condenser with debris, going to cost me $1100 just in parts to fix it, plus another weekend workin' for free. I sure wish some of that hope and change would happen!

If you ever need any automotive advice or tips let me know, might save you a bundle. As for the backhoe radiator, if you have a good shop in the area and it doesn't need a new core, you'll spend more pulling it and putting it back in than on the repair.

Gear

azcruiser
07-20-2011, 05:14 AM
.radiatorbarn.com had good luck with these guys don't know if they do tractors
plus free shipping

Guesser
07-20-2011, 09:05 AM
I'd fix the backhoe before the pickup. Just me, never liked working on highway vehicles. I'll take "dig in the dirt" or material handling repairs anytime, You may have to have a radiator built for the Massey Ferguson, I did about 12 years ago, beyond repair, was cheaper than trying to adapt an unsuitable replacement.

Moonie
07-20-2011, 09:07 AM
My brother recently replaced his radiator, difference in cost between fixing his, getting a used one and getting a new one was about $40, most of the cost was labor taking it out and putting it back in.

I was willing to supervise the job but not do it, he didn't want to do the labor, his money...

I don't do the labor part any longer, I have 3 sons for that, 18, 20 (21 Saturday, yes I'm going to buy him his first drink) and 22.

cajun shooter
07-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Sam, I know you will not believe what you are about to hear but my luck is so bad that my friends make jokes about it. I have said that if I start passing gold through my digestive system, every one would start wanting to buy silver!! My poor wife has finally stated that she has never seen anything like it. I put a new transfer case into my 4X4 and one week later while pulling my boat on I-10 just south of New Orleans the transmission went out. The boat was 22Ft salt water rig. I had to find a flat bed wrecker so that the truck could be put on the flat bed and then tow the boat. Total cost to our home was $365. New transmission was $2600. After all the repairs were made, off we go to fish again. An inboard water hose going to the bait well became loose enough to not only fill the bait well and keep the bait alive it filled the entire bottom of boat. This caused another $1400 damage to the boat's electrical system. The auto bilge pump failed because it was installed at the factory with a loose wire. This is only a small sample as I don't want to continue with the bring up of these clouds. I knew that we had a connection when we became friends

Muddy Creek Sam
07-20-2011, 09:21 AM
House AC died a month and half ago, $3500 to replace. Helped with the Electric bill though. Went down about $50. Thanks for the kind words fellows. Applied to VA for a loan on my Life insurance today. Hope they hustle up.

trooperdan
07-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Sam, I don't think the VA does anything in under a year!

Muddy Creek Sam
07-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Sam, I don't think the VA does anything in under a year!

I can hope for before Aug. 2.

GP100man
07-20-2011, 09:23 PM
I saw Murphy`s cot in the casting shed Sam :kidding:

At least ya can get the bucket up this time !!

Muddy Creek Sam
07-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Found a Radiator for $245 Shipped. Not as much as I feared.

skeet1
07-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Sam you did good on the radiator. I replaced mine on my old Massey 65 and it cost me $400.00. I tried to get the old one repaired but it was to rotten to solder, they would fix one hole and another one would start under pressure. I wish I had just bought the new one to start with it would have saved a lot of time!

Ken

Muddy Creek Sam
07-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Ken,

Isn't ordered yet, So If they actually have it in stock. I believe it is the right move. This is a 1971 Model tractor. I still need to split it and change out the crankshaft seal, Leaks like a sieve. Not something I am looking forward to.

white eagle
07-21-2011, 11:27 AM
sorry to hear that Sam
you sure have been good to the members here >>

07-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Murphy must have cousins-lol. Have the motor out of the van with another ready to drop in, over heating Lumina(hoping it is not a head), son bumped the front left of the Olds and it looks like ****, 6 speed out of the 350, motor out of the old crew cab, hydraulics down on the farm tractor, and wife, girl friend,bank note, and power bill all one month past due-lol.

cajun shooter
07-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Sam, I have only worked on two tractors with friends in my life. They both were factory certified. In automotive crank seals you may buy a tool that will allow you to change that main seal without dropping the crank. It was made by K&D IIRC. It hooked the seal and allowed it to be pulled through from the other side. Later David

Muddy Creek Sam
07-22-2011, 10:07 AM
David,

This is the front drive in seal, The crank is hooked to the Hydrolic pump in the front and there is a oiece of frame that has to come out the way.

skeet1
07-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Sam,
Sorry to hear about you rear seal being bad that doesn't sound like any fun. My Massey 65 was built in 1958 and I have been working on it since I got it three years ago and is turning into a very good tractor. The engine runs great and I have now put a wide axle on the front. It surely is not what you would call beautiful but it does run the brush hog I have on the back for cutting the grass very well.

Ken

oneokie
07-22-2011, 06:29 PM
When you pull the balancer off the nose of the crank, check for a wear grove in the surface of the balancer. There is a sleeve made to press on the balancer that provides a new wear surface for the seal. The brand name of those sleeves is "Micro Sleeve". Most good auto parts stores either have them or can order them. NAPA would be the first place I would check.