PDA

View Full Version : HOT !!! At least for me.

Charlie Two Tracks
07-19-2011, 07:18 PM
The temperature here at Geneseo, Illinois got to 100 deg. today with a heat index of 120. I know a bunch of you guys have had this heat for a long time but it was HOT out on Interstate 80 today. We were patching potholes with a tar that was at 160 deg. and then you mixed in 3/8 ths chip rock in it. Hotter tomorrow and we will be doing it again, but it is work and it pays well so I just have to wait till we put the snow plows on in November.[smilie=w:

casterofboolits
07-19-2011, 08:19 PM
That's gotta be a bummer because the humidity was 94% here south of Dayton. At my age, I ain' t leaving the AC. I would be in the ER in about ten minutes! I patched potholes in California when I was 18 in 100 degree heat, but it was a dry heat.

Muddy Creek Sam
07-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Welcome to Summer in SC was 103* today without the Heat Index.

Sam :D

Gar
07-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Temperature at the house right now is 109, but hey it's only 51% humidity!
So much for Arizona dry heat theory.
If I can't get to the range before 7 AM, I ain't going :cry:

Gar

firefly1957
07-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Yes it was hot spent 6 hours on Higgins lake the water at the surface varied between 73 and 83 degrees that is warm for that lake. The fish were not biting and I marked very few with fishfinder also. Now how to keep cool tomorrow?

Guesser
07-19-2011, 09:24 PM
We were at 96 with 13% Relative, and a light breeze, not too bad

mongo
07-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Was 90 here today, humidity was so high you could see it. Just got a stormlake .40 for my glock and some lee dies to cast 175tc boolits. Heat will be here till Sunday. Only 60 more days till it becomes cool again. Im gettin too old for the heat.

Bad Water Bill
07-20-2011, 12:41 AM
It was so hot here on the far SOUTH side of Chicagoland that my stash of lino is starting to slump.:bigsmyl2:

Southern Son
07-20-2011, 12:49 AM
I rode a motorcycle to work this morning at 2:30am. It was about 7 or 8 degrees C (about 45 F). I live out of town which means 15 minutes at 60mph. By the time I got to work I couldn't undo my helmet. I moved here to get away from cold weather, I mean, the Tropic of Capricorn is just up the road!

azcruiser
07-20-2011, 05:18 AM
When it]s still over 100 degrees and it's 3AM you know it was a hot day .Or the cans of pop in your lunch bag explode that's a sign

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-20-2011, 09:00 AM
This Heat just $uck$ !!!
the only AC unit in the house is a little one in the bedroom,
it can't keep up in this heat, the house is at 85º
But, at least it pulls the humidity out of the house.

AND THE RAIN !!! Wholly Krap !!!
I wish my friends in TX and other dry places could share
in MN's excess rain. Glencoe has had 7 storms in the last 8 days.
totaling about 6 inches of rain (this on top of a abnormally wet spring)
This is Not a record by any means, but
we don't need it, water standing in the farm fields and our
creeks/rivers in the area are going to flood stage for the 3rd time
this season...that is unusal.
Jon

Freightman
07-20-2011, 10:18 AM
No rain, hot, we break a record today that was set in '53 of 26 days above 100, Childress, TX is working on 58 days above 100 most of the time 105-115. In seven months we have had only 1.60" moister, last year we had 18.5" by this time normal is 11", grass will not grow even watering it, no bees, or wasp, so the garden is not producing. The only thing you can sit in the yard at night with not one mosquito or bug bothering you. Noticed the stores are well stocked on the citrinella candles as there is no demand at all. Looking forward to cold weather as I can stay warm but it is hard to stay cool.
PS and I remember the record set in '53!

jpatm2
07-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Yeah, it is horrible here too. Gonna get up to the mid 70's by the end of the week. I don't know how I will handle it.
Seriously, summer has yet to visit here in Tacoma, WA.

1Shirt
07-20-2011, 10:37 AM
About the same in Omaha! Close to or at 100 mark for the last week, no rain, heat index in the 115-120 range. Electricity bill for AC will be thru the roof.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Stick_man
07-20-2011, 01:07 PM
When it comes to heat, I am ever so grateful of where I live (SLC), especially when I hear of people that I work with enjoying a nice balmy 140 in southern Iraq. It usually cools off overnight to the upper 90's or so. At least it is a dry heat though. Oh, and did I mention the dust storms? Yup, just like in the movies.

And I feel like I am dying when it tops 105 in Salt Lake City!

wildwilly
07-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Last night it was 92F at 10pm (typical). This morning I loaded up my pickup with all my shooting gear, which included four rifles and two handguns to go to the range before the temps got above 100F. My wife informed me this am that the well went dry. So, I spent the last two hours back flushing the line that supplies water from the canal. The line spit out a catfish that was clogging the water line (2 inch pipe). It's gonna be about 108F today (and it's not gonna be a dry heat). Y'all enjoy your day.

Changeling
07-20-2011, 03:23 PM
It's 102 on my deck right now with 82% humidity, absolutely to hot to do anything outside with that humidity!

Lloyd Smale
07-20-2011, 04:13 PM
95 here and this yankee cant stand it. I dont know how you guys down south live in this **** daily. Id rather have it 20 and snowing anyday then have this! Luckily we only have to deal with it a couple days a summer. Temps usually hang in the 70s here in the summer.

GRUMPA
07-20-2011, 04:24 PM
After moving out of Phoenix up to the mountains 6k elevation, 95deg outside really isn't all that bad. But as I'm typing I got the swamp cooler just hittin my back back as well. When I can look outside and see my chickens with their beaks open and them panting away, the only way I'm going outside is if the house is burning.

wallenba
07-20-2011, 04:33 PM
It's all Al Gores fault for inventing global warming!! Seriously though, I have not left the house today, and tomorrow will be at least 100 here. We are not used to this in this part of the country.

Rick N Bama
07-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Believe it or not it's not quite that hot down here. I'm only at 93 with 80% humidity. I can only go outside for no more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time today & it's to be worse tomorrow.

Rick

95 here and this yankee cant stand it. I dont know how you guys down south live in this **** daily. Id rather have it 20 and snowing anyday then have this! Luckily we only have to deal with it a couple days a summer. Temps usually hang in the 70s here in the summer.

wallenba
07-20-2011, 05:03 PM

Lloyd, I remember swimming in Lake Superior at Brimley State Park as a kid on a hot day like this back in the sixties. After forcing myself to stay in the water 10 minutes I was chilled to the bone and stayed that way all day. Go take a dip, maybe it will work for you too.

Recluse
07-20-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm about tired of the heat here in Texas--and the drought, too.

It's so damned hot that I'm not motivated to do much of anything. The RV8 and Cessna 172 are taken apart for annual condition inspection and annual inspection, respectfully, but we're doing that early in the morning and late, late at night. We have a pretty large hangar (6000 square feet) and several big industrial fans to blow the hot air around, and it's still miserable.

The rebuilding on the Taylorcraft has slowed down, too.

Flew to Kansas City, then Memphis this past weekend and thought I was going to melt on the ground waiting for ATC to get their heads out and clear me to take off. Heard one pilot tell the Tower controller that if he didn't launch inside of sixty-seconds, his engine was going to over heat. Piston aircraft engines are air-cooled, so your time on the ground on hot, hot days can get kind of critical.

Hell, my BOAT vapor locks in this kind of heat, so we don't even venture to the lake.

Just about getting tired of it. Southern New Mexico is looking really, really good right now and we have an option on some acreage near Cloudcroft. . .

Here in Texas, we still have at least eight more weeks of this **** to deal with .

:coffee:

firefly1957
07-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Lloyd Smale I drove though there Sunday morning and the temperature was in the low nineties before noon! (was over in Ewen for a wedding) I do not get to the U.P. enough!

Dframe
07-20-2011, 07:41 PM
Yup. It can sure get hot on I-80. It was sweltering on I-55 here in Springfield today too. BUT I'll take it ANYDAY and EVERYDAY instead of 20 degrees below zero.

canyon-ghost
07-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Only in the 100s here with the drought. Not bad, I still fire up the welder at work and make fuel tanks and hydraulic tanks. Oh, and nobody said I am a young man either.

randyrat
07-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Good JU JU I had Superior scheduled for today. One of the hottest day of the year here in Rice Lake. I stopped by and dipped my feet out on WI. point, in Lake Superior. Cooled off right away. That Lake is coooooold as ever. Most of Superior is a cooler than inland further.

I can't imagine living were there is heat like this for weeks on end. We get HOT with a lot of humidity here, but it breaks in a week or so. Some areas stay hot for weeks or a few months.

Ed Barrett
07-21-2011, 01:32 AM
We are having a range cleanup and painting day Saturday, it is supposed to be about 96. Was 99 today. We will see how many show up. Went to the range last week it was only 93, but it has covered shooting points so you are in the shade. I wouldn't usually go when it's this hot but a friend got a new 7mm mag and he wanted to sight it in. Any day shooting is a good day.

The rifle shot 5 shot groups of 1.5 inches we would have shot more but he paid 43 bucks a box for 2 boxes of ammo, ouch.

Moondawg
07-21-2011, 02:17 AM
It has been warmish lately, but that is not unusual for late summer. Just remember so far this year Seattle has not yet reached the 80s, and it snowed some place in Montana, (I think it was) just a week or so ago. Soon enough, some of ya'll will be cussing the snow and ice.

Bad Water Bill
07-21-2011, 08:26 AM
The rifle shot 5 shot groups of 1.5 inches we would have shot more but he paid 43 bucks a box for 2 boxes of ammo, ouch.

That is a good reason for casting your own and reloading.:Fire:

slim1836
07-21-2011, 08:32 AM
18 days in a row of over 100 degrees in the Dallas/Fort Worth area so far.

lbaize3
07-21-2011, 11:13 AM
It has been miserable hot here in Southeast Texas. The wife and I go swimming each morning at 6:30 AM and you can see the vapor rising off the pool when we get in. The pool is 90 degrees after a night of coolish upper 70s. Really can't get too hot because of the medication I take, so I have been spending a lot of time indoors.

Lloyd Smale
07-21-2011, 07:03 PM
much nicer here today. At least the humidity is gone.

Armorer
07-21-2011, 07:28 PM
I leave the Houston area and drive up just north of Palestine to our family land where I hunt. Climb out of the truck and even 101° it feels nicer than this festering swamp I live in. That humidity, or lack thereof, makes all the difference in the world in my opinion. But at least this **** only lasts for 5-6 months a year. I reckon it could always be worse.

Armorer

SharpsShooter
07-21-2011, 08:11 PM
It was 91 at dinnertime the heat index at 102. Humidity is 60%, so it is a bit sticky.

SS

waksupi
07-22-2011, 12:25 AM
From a friend;

I was going to complain about how hot it is... then I realized that at least: 1.) it isn't 109 degrees; 2.) I'm not 5,700 miles from home; 3.) I'm not dressed in a full BDU uniform and helmet and carrying 70+ lbs.; and 4.) there is very little chance that anyone will shoot at me or that I might drive over a bomb in the road today! Thanks to all who serve.

On the other hand, we may be having record breaking cold here the next night or two. There was fresh snow in Glacier Park a couple nights ago. This being late July, this is considered an early snow, as opposed to a late snow, that had fallen on or before July 1.

Dean D.
07-22-2011, 12:55 AM
Man, sure glad I don't live in Texas! Them folks have it rough I tell ya!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/condercliffjumper/Misc/cid_3E7F4D59570947BA8274DC17AC5CC8A5D5273RD1.jpg

starmac
07-22-2011, 01:23 AM
It was 56 at 8 am this morning, but it got up into the high sixties. I am just not missing that west texas and eastern NM weather at all.

Dale53
07-22-2011, 01:29 AM
I was at Camp Perry yesterday with Green Frog. It was 97 degrees with extremely high humidity. It was flat miserable. We could hardly breath. We went to the CMP (they still have some nice Kimber match rifles in .22 rimfire at good prices and some other interesting stuff as well. We also stopped past some vendor friends (Champion Shooters Supply and Champions Choice) and visited while buying a few things. All in all, a very worthwhile trip. We were between the pistol and rifle groups so there was not much activity on the range.

Today I pretty much hung around the house until this evening. I had a "must attend" gun club meeting this evening - it was 98 degrees at 7:00 P.M. Tomorrow, I'll just hibernate. I'm not going to the range until this heat wave breaks. There's no point in dying for fun...

Dale53

chaos
07-22-2011, 01:52 AM
I'm about tired of the heat here in Texas--and the drought, too.

It's so damned hot that I'm not motivated to do much of anything. The RV8 and Cessna 172 are taken apart for annual condition inspection and annual inspection, respectfully, but we're doing that early in the morning and late, late at night. We have a pretty large hangar (6000 square feet) and several big industrial fans to blow the hot air around, and it's still miserable.

The rebuilding on the Taylorcraft has slowed down, too.

Flew to Kansas City, then Memphis this past weekend and thought I was going to melt on the ground waiting for ATC to get their heads out and clear me to take off. Heard one pilot tell the Tower controller that if he didn't launch inside of sixty-seconds, his engine was going to over heat. Piston aircraft engines are air-cooled, so your time on the ground on hot, hot days can get kind of critical.

Hell, my BOAT vapor locks in this kind of heat, so we don't even venture to the lake.

Just about getting tired of it. Southern New Mexico is looking really, really good right now and we have an option on some acreage near Cloudcroft. . .

Here in Texas, we still have at least eight more weeks of this **** to deal with .

We are in a real bind for water in West Texas. Its been hotter than usual and for a greater length of time than usual. We haven't had any precip since the Ice storm in January.

Hunting is going to be $HIT this year. Tanks are DRY and none of the Dry Land fields have made a crop. I have yet to see any baby turkeys and Fawn numbers are dismal.

This was my pond a month ago:
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/colbcheese/tank.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/colbcheese/fish.jpg

It has since gone dry, which is a first! I've been diggin on it in the evenings after work.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/colbcheese/tank2.jpg

I hate to say it, but the only thing that will save us at this point, is a Big Ole hurricane needs to hit the gulf.

waksupi
07-22-2011, 02:46 AM
Anyone remember putting wooden clothes pins on your gas lines, to prevent vapor lock?

Recluse
07-22-2011, 02:47 AM
We are in a real bind for water in West Texas. Its been hotter than usual and for a greater length of time than usual. We haven't had any precip since the Ice storm in January.

Hunting is going to be $HIT this year. Tanks are DRY and none of the Dry Land fields have made a crop. I have yet to see any baby turkeys and Fawn numbers are dismal.

I hate to say it, but the only thing that will save us at this point, is a Big Ole hurricane needs to hit the gulf.

I hear you.

My folks live out around Lubbock, and it's been nothing but hot and dry there as well. All the playa lakes are drying out, stock ponds--like yours--have dried up, and everything is just brown.

The wife and I are flying out there second weekend in September. Gonna take a camera along and snap some aerial shots along the way.

This may well end up being one of our worst droughts in history.

Mauser Rat
07-22-2011, 06:38 AM
I guess I won't say anything about the heat wave we been havin up here today? It's gonna hit 65 deg F!!!! Sunny and a nice breeze. Been out in the shop all evening casting up some 452-200's for the Colt. Y'all can write me back in January or February if'n ya want......... ;-)

Have a good one all :castmine:

mold maker
07-22-2011, 07:56 AM
I too hate to complain, while those protecting us, are under such conditions.
At 69 and having gotten used to AC, I can hardly go out the door. We haven't hit 100 yet, but have had unusually long periods of high 90s. The humidity has been almost as high as the temps, so it's miserable.
I dread seeing the power bill this month.
Been collecting lead all Summer, and will have to wait for Fall, to make ingots.

garym1a2
07-22-2011, 08:41 AM
98F and 90% humid. About normal for a Central Florida summer day.

cajun shooter
07-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Here in Louisiana, which I love dearly it has been close to or above 100 real degrees every day for a while. The humidity is from 75 to 100% along with it. When you open your door it's the same effect as opening an oven. At 64 with health problems I think about my poor grand parents who never had a home with AC. I tried to install a window shaker for them many times, but to no avail. My wife and I would take trips out of town on the week end and ask them to house sit. We had no place to go but it was our only way to get them into the AC. We hear on the news almost everyday about some elderly person who has died from heat stroke. That is very sad and hard to understand how we can help all these other countries but our poor die from the heat.

chaos
07-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Its all relative to the way a man thinks. I spent the Summers at my grandfathers place ( North Texas) while growing up. He had 2 window units in his house. He turned them on once a year when his daughters (My Aunts) would come to see him. NOBODY cried about how hot it was back then, including myself.

I work 8 to 12 hours a day out in this heat and suck up some serious AC when I get home.

I think folks are just a HELL of alot softer than they used to be.

MtGun44
07-22-2011, 08:36 PM
102 and humid. So we wend bicycle riding for a few hours, 26 miles. Nice ride.

Bill

Mal Paso
07-22-2011, 09:15 PM
I can't believe you guys. You grab all the heat for yourselves then complain about it. :kidding:

I woke up to 40s and dripping wet Fog here on the central California Coast. I just brought in more wood for the stove and it's JULY! We haven't had more than a couple days of Summer this year.:violin:

Bad Water Bill
07-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Boy the first storyteller aint got a chance.:coffeecom

Rick N Bama
07-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Some of you will think that I'm just another Redneck Hillbilly (which I may well be), however I can offer up a tip to beat the heat while you're trying to go to sleep.

Remember sprinkling clothes before ironing them? Well, just before you go to bed, try sprinkling your bed, now don't soak it, just a light sprinkling will do. The water evaporating will cool things down enough to allow you to start snoozing a bit easier.

I grew up on a N. Alabama 2 horse (literally) Cotton Farm with no AC in the house. We used this method every hot night during the summer & it sure did help. I also used it during my time in Viet Nam, for which I got some strange looks but it didn't take long for a few others to take up the bed sprinkling.

Happy to help:mrgreen:

Rick

LIMPINGJ
07-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Here in E TX I tell people who complain about the heat that I look at the positive side of 100* F temps. It finally gets hot enough to drive the humidity down some. And just to aggravate them also.

Hardcast416taylor
07-23-2011, 10:06 AM
I`ve got a big brown patch of 5 acres that I cut around the house and out buildings. Only thing growing is wild buckhorn weeds that are about 7" high now. Temp. was 100 here abouts Thrus. and still in the mid 90`s for awhile longer they say. They are claiming all the humidity is from the heavy flooding in the Mid-West area now evaporating. In all my years as a farmer I never heard the other reason they claim for all this humidity - growing corn that is perspiring! I guess the Gov`t has to blame the farmers for something?Robert

.429&H110
07-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Heatwave has been building all week around here, too, today got to 72F.
Warmed up 100 degrees, since March.
I think I can feel my feet!

Bad Water Bill
07-23-2011, 05:53 PM
But do you still have all 10 toes?:kidding:

07-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Been moving my preps into the basement the last few days and relocating the reloading bench. The AC feels wonderful. Went outside to paint/glue the metal EMP box for my short wave and came back in wet with sweat. Been bumping 100* for a couple of weeks here in central NC. In for a cool down this weekend--supposed to be only in the mid 90s--lol. I work outside but after retiring I find lots to do inside when ever possible--yep, getting soft in my old age.

mongo
07-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Not to bad here today. 95 degrees and humid as it could et without raining. Tomorrows forcast is high of 79. Yep, gunna cut the grass then cast up some boolits. Cant wait till fall. LOL

MtGun44
07-24-2011, 11:53 PM
OK, what in the world would a wooden closepin on a gas line have to do with vapor
lock????? Never did it, never heard of it and can't guess what it would be expected to
do.

Bill

crabo
07-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Remember sprinkling clothes before ironing them? Well, just before you go to bed, try sprinkling your bed, now don't soak it, just a light sprinkling will do. The water evaporating will cool things down enough to allow you to start snoozing a bit easier.

I grew up on a N. Alabama 2 horse (literally) Cotton Farm with no AC in the house. We used this method every hot night during the summer & it sure did help.
Rick

My mom tells of sleeping out side under a tree and hosing the tree down with the hose before they would go to sleep.

At 11:30 pm, it is 95 degrees. I went out and fired up the pot to cast some boolits about 7:30. I opened all the garage doors and windows, got 2 big fans going, and then went outside and drank a big glass of ice water. 45 minutes later, you could still feel how much hotter the garage was than outside. I only cast about 50 boolits.

I'm going to get up about 6:30 and see if I can cast some in the morning before it gets too hot.

waksupi
07-25-2011, 01:05 AM
OK, what in the world would a wooden closepin on a gas line have to do with vapor
lock????? Never did it, never heard of it and can't guess what it would be expected to
do.

Bill

It was pretty common with some older vehicles. On a hot day, or a hard pull, they tended to vapor lock. For some reason, probably to due to heat reduction, the clothes pins seemed to work. So, you would see a half dozen pins on the gas line when someone opened the hood. Otherwise you had to either pour some water on the gas line to cool it, or wait for it to cool on it's own.