PDA

View Full Version : RN vs TC

Jamesconn
07-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Ive asked which mold i should get and I got alot of 120-TC but then I read a thread on how the TC is harder to work with in 9mm and if you dont know what your doing can cause leading and really bad accuracy because they are bigger. Im just starting so I want this to be as easy as possible then I can start messing around with it but whats a good RN 6 cavity mold?

casterofboolits
07-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Are you going to tumble lube. pan lube or do you have a lube sizer?

You might try a Lee two cavity to start and go to a Lee six cavity when you get the hang of casting your own.

Wally
07-19-2011, 04:05 PM
I shoot a Lyman 120 RN (356242)& a 120 TC (356402) in my Taurus 99AF...both shoot & feed well...no jams. If I could have just one I'd opt for the RN as it seems to be a bit more accurate in my pistol. Both cast very well. However the 102 TC is far more popular

I have experimented with the Lee 102 RN & the Lee 105 SWC--both shoot well. the 105 is a wonderful plinking bullete with it's SWC profile...very enjoyable to plink cans with it. For both I use a moderate load of 3.5 grains of Red Dot. A pound of powder goes a long way.

Sapper771
07-19-2011, 04:16 PM
In my limited experience, I have had better luck using the Lee 120gr TC. The Lee 125gr 2R is a good mold as well, but the TC is a bit more accurate IME/O. The TC mold's lube groove is just a hair bigger also, but I size them at 0.358", so that may be why.

I am itching to try the Lee 105gr SWC mold. I keep hearing good things about it. Just dont know how it would feed through a Glock with a LW barrel. If its profile is similar to the Lee 200gr SWC, there shouldnt be any problems.

williamwaco
07-19-2011, 09:06 PM
================================================== ==

I read a thread on how the TC is harder to work with in 9mm and if you dont know what your doing can cause leading and really bad accuracy because they are bigger.

I can't imagine what is going on here. I use nothing but 124 and 147 grain TC bullets in my three 9s and have never had a single problem of any kind.

Leading is not caused by the shape of the bullet nose. Leading is caused either by lube or bullet diameter in relation to to the bore diameter. And very rarely by bullet hardness.

My current favorite is the Lee six cavity:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=340779

Try it. You will like it.

fecmech
07-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Jamesconn-I think you may be confusing 2 different truncated cone designs. The Lee tumble lube version has caused much grief for 9mm casters I think because it drops from the mold close to .356. That combined with it's minimal lube capacity (the TL design) causes grief in the 9MM application. Obviously not for William Waco( he posted as I wrote this)! The Lee 120 TC with lube groove is a much better design IMO in that it usually drops @ .358 and carry's enough lube to work well in 9MM's.

MtGun44
07-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Conventional lube groove 356 120 TC is a fantastic design, has never given me anything
but great results. If you have no lubrisizer, you can pan lube (use the search function) for
nearly zero investment, and size with a very cheap Lee push through sizer die.

I heartily recommend the 356 120 TC design, probably at .357 or .358 diameter.
Check the sticky on setting up a new 9mm for some good backround info.

Bill

noylj
07-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Many use RN because they think it is more reliable in feeding.
I find that SWCs are excellent in terms of accuracy and that is about all I cast and shoot.
TCs seem to trail SWCs.
RNs seem to be about the least accurate cast or jacketed bullet.
You must know how to adjust the COL to get the various bullets to feed and chamber properly. I have no problem with 115gn SWCs, but I have tailored the COL for my guns.
If you are blasting away in action pistol, a RN is as accurate as you need and it casts fine.
If you want to see what your gun is capable of, look to the SWCs and TCs.
For j-bullets--the JHP is almost always the most accurate, followed by a TC or RNFP bullet. I have not had success with any jacketed SWC and I have no idea why...

fredj338
07-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Iactually found the TCFP style is easier to get good accuracy with vs RN designs. JMO based on working loads up in diff 9mm. I agree w/ fecmech, just stay away from the Lee TL designs.

Cherokee
07-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Lee 356120TC w/lube grooves is my cast bullet of choice now for 9mm and Super 38. I also have the Lee 356125 RN and it is not as accurate. Once you get the OAL set for your gun(s), the TC is fine. Forget the TL dsesign, IMO.

Bob Krack
07-20-2011, 03:59 PM
James,
If you will do an internet search using "meplat" as the criteria, you will find so much information (some from authors and/or visitors here) that you will have your answer 100%.

Not an awful lot of absolute agreement, but in my opinion the TC nose is a much better defensive projectile and the round nose might be a little better for target shooting.

Keep studying, James.

Bob

williamwaco
07-20-2011, 08:51 PM

Jamesconn-I think you may be confusing 2 different truncated cone designs. The Lee tumble lube version has caused much grief for 9mm casters I think because it drops from the mold close to .356. That combined with it's minimal lube capacity (the TL design) causes grief in the 9MM application. Obviously not for William Waco( he posted as I wrote this)! The Lee 120 TC with lube groove is a much better design IMO in that it usually drops @ .358 and carry's enough lube to work well in 9MM's.

Yes, I use the 6-Cavity TL356-124-TC. Mine drops at about .3565 (WW) and I size with the Lee .356 push through die, then tumble with LLA diluted 50%.

That said. I am using the 6-Cavity 452-200-SWC ( single lube grove ) in my .45s. I would bet a steak dinner that your Lee 120 TC ( 9mm ) with lube groove would work just as well. I wouldn't bet on better. I am getting sub 2" groups with that 9mm bullet at 25 yards. ( with optic sights. I can't see that good.)

In my TC with 8x scope, it will group in slightly over 1" at 50 yards.

I have loaded it in 9mm, .38 Special, and .357 Mag. I have not found leading to be a problem in any of them.

fecmech
07-20-2011, 09:18 PM
William--I personally had a 2 cav in the TL (124TL ) and had no trouble with it in my Hipower with Storm lake barrel (.355 groove). It did not do well with the stock barrel with .3575 groove and also I did not like the lube getting on the 9MM cases ( I batch load and do not box ammo). In fact the reason I went to the 120 TC was the good results I had with the TL version. If lee made it to drop .358 like the 120 it probably would not give folks so much trouble. But then that would defeat the purpose of the TL design of "cast, lube & shoot. I also think folks create their own problems using the faster powders like BE,231, Unique etc. Those powders work great with jacketed bullets at 35K PSI but not so well with cast. No one expects good results in the .357 or .44 mag with those powders at max loadings of 35 kpsi. Why they expect it in a 9MM is beyond me.

BTW my K-38 will average a little over an inch also at 50yds with the Lee 120 and RCBS 124 TC. The TC design is a very accurate and stable one, I've used it in my lever guns out to 200 yds.