PDA

View Full Version : SHOT Show-Orlando

GSPKurt
01-11-2007, 09:09 PM
I am here at the SHOT show. My first. This is amazing! Good thing I can't purchase stuff here, as I would probably get thrown out of the house by my wife!:roll:

45nut
01-11-2007, 09:21 PM
I went to one in Vegas a couple years back,,,got comfortable shoes on I hope.
The bags and bags of freebies made me wish for closer parking...........

Say Hello to Kathy Griffin at the Lyman booth for us.

Gunload Master
01-11-2007, 09:22 PM
I wish I could have made that Vegas trip last year.. Williams Firearms was going to give me a pass to get in with them..

GSPKurt
01-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Parking at the door wouldn't be close enough. My feet are killin' me!

GSPKurt
01-11-2007, 09:25 PM
I wish I could have made that Vegas trip last year.. Williams Firearms was going to give me a pass to get in with them..

I'd have gotten you a pass this year if ya wanted to come to Flor-eee-duh!

Gunload Master
01-11-2007, 09:39 PM
That's a bit far to travel for the shot show for me... I would LOVE to be there though. I'm in Idaho.

jballs918
01-11-2007, 09:42 PM
how does one do about getting a pass to the vegas show that would be great

GSPKurt
01-11-2007, 09:58 PM
If you're tight with the owner of your local gun shop, ask him to get you a pass. I work at a gun shop, so I get one. It's pretty loose as far as requirements, though. I don't think they really check to see if you are "in the business".

GSPKurt
01-11-2007, 10:00 PM
That's a bit far to travel for the shot show for me... I would LOVE to be there though. I'm in Idaho.

Unless you're walkin' or drivin', it ain't that long a trip :-D

I used credit card points to get a suite at a Sheraton about 30 mins. from the show.

mike in co
01-11-2007, 10:33 PM
i've been to several.......
yes you can buy...if you have a biz license and or an ffl.

i buy for a small sporting biz.....

so have access to both........

it gets expensive.....

but i keep going.

have gone to orlando, atlanta, las vegas......

and i write it off as a biz expense!

( it is...i set up programs/deals for the biz)

will be back next yr...in vegas....
the mil/police section has really taken off...

and for those that do not know

CLOTHING is the biggest single part of the sporting biz.

Scrounger
01-11-2007, 10:41 PM
how does one do about getting a pass to the vegas show that would be great

Is it in Vegas next year? Let me know towards the end of the year and I will get you a pass if you want one.

Gunload Master
01-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Is it in Vegas next year? Let me know towards the end of the year and I will get you a pass if you want one.

Yes it is.

Hunter
01-12-2007, 01:16 AM
My buddy John is there now and doing a review on m1911.org of as much as he can. Here is a link to what he has covered so far.
http://ezine.m1911.org/contents.htm

Uncle Grinch
01-13-2007, 06:21 PM
I have always wanted to go to the SHOT show and the irony is that's where my wife is right now! She goes every year and brings back a suitcase full of goodies. She doesn't give a hoot about the guns, it's the camouflage that is her business (Realtree & Advantage)... she's a textile broker for one of the two converters they use.

I know... I should be going, but the passes are very expensive, around $300, I believe, and her company doesn't give them to non-employees. I can buy a LOT of STUFF for $300! (primers, powder, moulds, gas checks!!!!

GSPKurt
01-13-2007, 06:52 PM
I have always wanted to go to the SHOT show and the irony is that's where my wife is right now! She goes every year and brings back a suitcase full of goodies. She doesn't give a hoot about the guns, it's the camouflage that is her business (Realtree & Advantage)... she's a textile broker for one of the two converters they use.

I know... I should be going, but the passes are very expensive, around $300, I believe, and her company doesn't give them to non-employees. I can buy a LOT of STUFF for $300! (primers, powder, moulds, gas checks!!!!

The pass was $20.

mike in co
01-14-2007, 12:36 AM
$15.00

Netherwolf
01-14-2007, 06:23 AM
The pass was $20.

Well, which is it? $300? $20? $15? I work for an ammo remanufacturer who's attending the event. When I told him I'd like to attend, he said he could get me a pass for $50. (Naturally, I'd have to arrange my own transportation.) Now I'm thinking he's a typical "boss" - lining his pockets at the little guy's expense.
Netherwolf

mike in co
01-14-2007, 12:28 PM
well i'm a returning industry member..if i buy in december, its $15........ if you buy at the door it maybe as high as $50 cannot see it on the site now as the show is in progress...........never heard of $300 unless it was for the opening dinner/concert.
again this is not open to the public. you cannot walk up and buy your way in.
you must be sponsored by some part of the industry ....or.........
go to the site for 2008 and look at all the catagories and see if you can work your way in to one of those......
i qualified as a buyer and for biz finance.......

9.3X62AL
01-14-2007, 01:09 PM
I worked briefly for a local hunting and fishing outfit (those locally know it as "The Evil Empire"), and talked with one the company's buyers about what he did at the show. He stated that his time at the SHOT Show was the hardest he worked all year--he was there throughout the length of the show, "bell to bell", meeting reps from jobbers and wholesalers, getting deals cemented all over the building the show was held in. Given the stocking level and quality of the retail store shelves, I am bound to say that he either needed help--was not well-versed in general outdoors tools (other than clothing and high-end saltwater gear)--or didn't care much about firearms/reloading. My store manager confirmed the frenetic pace with which the company worked the SHOT Show, having been there/done that himself.

I suspect Mike in CO hit the nail on the head about clothing being the biggest percentage of the outdoors recreation trade. Unlike me, some folks just don't feel right on a trap field without all the right fashions to match their high-dollar claybuster. My own thoughts run more toward well-worn blue jeans and sweatshirts and a good Ithaca 37 or Model 12, so my future in the outdoor sports retail sector would be bleak indeed.

carpetman
01-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Dep Al---Clothing one of the biggest marked up items around. Ever notice that sporting goods places that have clothing(most all)will have the clothing up front where you have to walk through before getting to the other stuff?

9.3X62AL
01-14-2007, 01:41 PM
The only saving grace about a store doing clothing as a profit leader--this again referring to the stores I worked at--is that the company MIGHT use guns as a loss leader. Thankfully, Marie shares my view of outdoors clothing--general purpose/general use well-worn stuff for getting outside. Most women could bankrupt an oil emirate in Nordstrom's if given half a chance, thank goodness Marie has good judgement in that venue.

wills
01-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Well, which is it? $300? $20? $15? I work for an ammo remanufacturer who's attending the event. When I told him I'd like to attend, he said he could get me a pass for $50. (Naturally, I'd have to arrange my own transportation.) Now I'm thinking he's a typical "boss" - lining his pockets at the little guy's expense.
Netherwolf

https://webprod1.accureg.com/shot07_prod/webmain/RegLookup.asp?CampaignCode=CampSE

Uncle Grinch
01-14-2007, 04:58 PM
OK.. I've been out of town picking my wife up at Hartsfields International Airport. Seems to be some confusion on the cost of the SHOT show pass. I believe GSPKurt and Wills ares correct for the pass. My wife said hers is a dealers pass and is good for the entire show.

I really don't know... maybe she doesn't want me to go to this "fanatsy dream come true" show. It might cost us much more than $300!!

waksupi
01-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Al, the old Indian name for women.

Costaheaps

GSPKurt
01-14-2007, 09:09 PM
I registered in December, was charged $20, and if I waited until January, or at the gate, it was $50.

Big D
01-16-2007, 03:35 PM
for all the last day of the show almost everything is for sale. The exhibitors would as soon you haul it home than them. I bought 600 .22 -55 Bt for $12 a box My buddy got all of Barry bullets that were left at the end for free.
Safari press is 50% of on all of there books. bring cash and a wheel barrow.

mike in co
01-16-2007, 05:52 PM
most everyone would rather pack cash home than all the demo stuff.
( not true for guns) but almost everything else.....
and some product guys bring stuff to sell......

mike