PDA

View Full Version : North to Alaska!

RugerFan
07-18-2011, 10:47 PM
The movers are here this week to get us packed up for our move to Alaska (They are gonna hate lifting my lead supply:-)). This should make for an interesting drive. 4,500+ miles from S.E. Georgia to Anchorage. After visiting family in WI, we’ll hit the Last Frontier the first week of Aug. Hope to find a house in Wasilla to buy in short order so we won’t be in a hotel for too long. Hope to connect with some Brothers of the Silver Stream up there. See ya on the other side!

JeffinNZ
07-18-2011, 11:03 PM
That's a non trivial move you have going on there.

When we moved across town it was enough. Near killed the father inlaw lifting mortar cans of Pb.

Dennis Eugene
07-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Come on up there's plenty of room.

1Shirt
07-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Best of luck! I should have retired there!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Uncle Grinch
07-19-2011, 01:03 PM
You're going to miss the gnats here in Georgia, but I suspect Alaska has it's share of critters that pester and bite too!

Hope you have a safe move...

Mk42gunner
07-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Best of luck! I should have retired there!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Same here, the only reason I didn't was because of family around here.

Robert

Leadforbrains
07-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Dang I want to go!!!!

76 WARLOCK
07-19-2011, 05:10 PM
The mosquitos around Ft Wainright are as big as sparrows in Georgia, I would love to live there if I was 40 years younger.

johnfl
07-19-2011, 05:32 PM
I head some serious grumbling from the moving guys about my lead stash the last time...

Congratulations on what sounds like following your dream.

TonyM
07-19-2011, 05:47 PM
If you are planning on moving to Wasilla, DON'T buy a house on KGB [smilie=b: (Knik Goosebay Road) no matter what the Realtor says... it's the fastest growing area in the valley, and the dinkey 2 lane road is turning into a real PITA because of it... especially when it's inundated with school buses during the winter... :groner:

Good luck on your move... when you get up here, PM me and I'll fill you in on the where's, and what have yous...

bearcove
07-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Used to live about mile 7 KGB 15 years ago. All the speculation about a bridge to Anchorage got people excited about that side. I liked it better over by Palmer, but thats old info. Homer is my choice now, gonna go back up next summer for a while and do some fishing.

Muddy Creek Sam
07-19-2011, 06:42 PM
I don't envy you a bit, It's hot as heck here in SC but I never want to go through another move.

Sam :D

TonyM
07-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Used to live about mile 7 KGB 15 years ago. All the speculation about a bridge to Anchorage got people excited about that side. I liked it better over by Palmer, but thats old info. Homer is my choice now, gonna go back up next summer for a while and do some fishing.

Even when they do put that bridge in... unless you actually live at point mckenzie, it's still alsmost the same distance taking the glenn.... people think that bridge was going in at the end of KGB at the airstrip... but it's not, its going to go from point/port mckenzie into the port of anchorage. I live mile ten KGB, and the port is still almost 30 miles from my house...lol

Last I heard it was going to be a $5 toll bridge :veryconfu

sorry to hijack...

I would check Sutton out... just far enough out of town, decent nighborhood, and lots of recreation close by.

bearcove
07-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Last I heard they couldn't make up their mind.

RugerFan
07-20-2011, 10:48 AM
You're going to miss the gnats here in Georgia, but I suspect Alaska has it's share of critters that pester and bite too!

Hope you have a safe move...

Geeze I HATE these gnats! Won't miss them at all.

The mosquitos around Ft Wainright are as big as sparrows in Georgia, I would love to live there if I was 40 years younger.

I was stationed at Ft Wainwright from 87 to 92. I remember those world record mosquitos all too well.

I don't envy you a bit, It's hot as heck here in SC but I never want to go through another move.

Sam :D

We are really getting tired of the moves. Hopefully only a couple more left and we can plant real roots.

Even when they do put that bridge in... unless you actually live at point mckenzie, it's still alsmost the same distance taking the glenn.... people think that bridge was going in at the end of KGB at the airstrip... but it's not, its going to go from point/port mckenzie into the port of anchorage. I live mile ten KGB, and the port is still almost 30 miles from my house...lol

Last I heard it was going to be a $5 toll bridge :veryconfu

sorry to hijack...

I would check Sutton out... just far enough out of town, decent nighborhood, and lots of recreation close by.

Good info.

If you are planning on moving to Wasilla, DON'T buy a house on KGB [smilie=b: (Knik Goosebay Road) no matter what the Realtor says... it's the fastest growing area in the valley, and the dinkey 2 lane road is turning into a real PITA because of it... especially when it's inundated with school buses during the winter... :groner:

Good luck on your move... when you get up here, PM me and I'll fill you in on the where's, and what have yous...

Thanks. I'll shoot you a PM when we get settled.

saz
07-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Welcome! I am on Ft. Richardson so drop me a PM when you get here! Im sure I can help you out with some good spots up here. Welcome!

Matt_G
07-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Geeze I HATE these gnats! Won't miss them at all.

Surely you remember the noseeums if you were stationed at Wainwright.
Worse than gnats in my opinion. Can crawl right thru regular window screen also. Tiny little bastids!

07-20-2011, 07:20 PM
My oldest is headed to Wainwright in Aug. also. He is picking up my second son in Montana enroute. They will need some help settling in off base. Any of you from our most northern state please PM and let's get you together with them. Also need to know regs/laws about transporting arms through Canada. Both are avid hunters/loaders/shooters. Thanks for any and all help.

RugerFan
07-20-2011, 11:39 PM
Welcome! I am on Ft. Richardson so drop me a PM when you get here! Im sure I can help you out with some good spots up here. Welcome!

Good deal. I'll drop you a line when we get settled.

...Also need to know regs/laws about transporting arms through Canada...

No pistols and I believe proof of ownership is required for long guns. I just let the movers ship all mine. Less hassle that way. Google up the Canadian customs phone number (I don't have it handy) and give them a call. Lots of info on their web site and they are very helpful over the phone. I called to confirm info regarding transporting ammo and components. They were rather pleasant to deal with.

starmac
07-21-2011, 02:16 AM
Bearcove, it is a small world, my daughter and son in law bought a place 1/4 mile off of 7 mile kgb and both were raised in NM.

I go to their place pretty regularly and rush hour traffic there is still like 2 am traffic in any major city outside, so it is all in ones perspective.

RugerFan
07-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Our route takes us through Edmunton, AB. I think we may stop for a day and sight see. Fort Edmonton Park sounds interesting. A big mall there too I guess. Anything else to do there? How about Regina and Saskatoon?

bearcove
07-23-2011, 09:07 AM
The Alcan isn't real exciting, It is remote. I prefer to go through BC on the Yellowhead and Stewart-Cassier. Think those are the names, been a while. You go by Banff PP and the rest of its almost as preaty. Either way its a fantastic trip. You want to do both routes eventually so which way doesn't matter unless you haven't seen the other route.

Pleanty to do, first time I went I left in May and got there in September. The fishing is good but you'll want a boat or float tube on a lot of lakes. The fish are in deeper places in the summer.

bearcove
07-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Might think about a rock guard cause the trucks haul a$$ on the road and throw rocks. Cover headlights and have it stick it up above the hood some. Haven't made a trip on alcan with an intact windshield.

twotrees
07-23-2011, 09:36 AM
She moved to Ga 7 years ago, and asked the Mounties if she should give up her Card. They told her "NO".

She can do the paperwork so you clear Canadian Customs, at the border. If you decide to carry some long guns, She can help.

Contact me or Her (RedFoxy) by PM.

17 miles west of Hotlanta on I 20.

Good Luck with the move. We will need pictures.

waksupi
07-23-2011, 12:03 PM
To transport a handgun through Canada, you must first notify the Canadian Firearms Center stating your intent and purpose. The head firearms officer of each province you would be traveling through would need notified. The gun is sealed at the border, and it darn well better still be sealed when it reaches Alaska.

RugerFan
07-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Might think about a rock guard cause the trucks haul a$$ on the road and throw rocks. Cover headlights and have it stick it up above the hood some. Haven't made a trip on alcan with an intact windshield.

Come to think of it, when we drove out of AK in 92, I got a cracked windshield out of the trip. I'll have to look into a guard.

She moved to Ga 7 years ago, and asked the Mounties if she should give up her Card. They told her "NO".

She can do the paperwork so you clear Canadian Customs, at the border. If you decide to carry some long guns, She can help.

Contact me or Her (RedFoxy) by PM.

17 miles west of Hotlanta on I 20.

Good Luck with the move. We will need pictures.

That would have been awesome, but we're already in WI. Thanks for the offer. I would have taken you up on it if I'd have known. I'll be bringing near the max allowable ammo and components with. I hope they don't tax me on it.

Down South
07-24-2011, 10:18 AM
I envy you. Alaska is a beautiful place. I was up there last year in Anchorage for a week at our office on business. I actually turned down a job on the slope as maintenance supervisor working 14 & 14. That was before I found out the company was transferring me to Houston dang it. After I found out about the transfer the job posting in Alaska has closed already.

RugerFan
07-31-2011, 11:08 PM
I made it accross the border without having to pay any tax on my ammo & components. Saw a road kill bull moose in Alberta. Anchorage here we come!

cajun shooter
08-01-2011, 08:48 AM
A bug suit will come in handy as the amount of flying things in the woods is unreal. I thought that Louisiana was bad but I had a eye opener when I went into Canada. If you stripped a guy down naked and gave him a gun with one bullet before dropping him into the farthest point. You would hear a shot before the day was over.

G. Blessing
08-01-2011, 07:42 PM
A bug suit will come in handy as the amount of flying things in the woods is unreal. I thought that Louisiana was bad but I had a eye opener when I went into Canada. If you stripped a guy down naked and gave him a gun with one bullet before dropping him into the farthest point. You would hear a shot before the day was over.

Yeah, but at least we don't have any snakes, lizzards, gators, etc.... ;-)

G.

bearcove
08-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Bugs aren't to bad if you stay off the permafrost.

RugerFan
08-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Here's a pic of the road-kill and a real live bull that we saw today just west of Edmonton.

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l449/wolf913/moose.jpg

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l449/wolf913/livemoose.jpg

waksupi
08-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Don't eat the road kill, unless you can still touch their toes together. Looks like candidate number one is out of the dining selections.

leadman
08-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Look up Sarah's neighbor, she might even help pay to buy his house. Guess the guy bought the house next door to the Palin's and is writing a book about them. The Palin's put up a big fence.

Good luck on your move and hope all is going well.

G. Blessing
08-02-2011, 01:47 AM
I hit one of those last winter.... Got lucky and made roadkill, more often than not they survive, and your car is the road kill. ;)

Still love it here though, good luck with the move!

G.

RugerFan
08-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Saw another bull moose road kill in western Alberta (dang I hate to see that). Also saw a BIG white tail buck in BC near the Peace river walking across a field. Sure grow em big out there! We're at Ft Nelson for the night then on to Watson lake tomorrow.

bearcove
08-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Yeah it sucks big time when they come threw the windshield and land in your lap.

dragonrider
08-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Here in Ma one of my coworkers had a staredown with a Moose yesterday on the way into work. Quickly got out his camara and took a very nice picture of his index finger before the moos moved off.

RugerFan
08-04-2011, 12:59 AM
We saw a plethora of wildlife while driving through BC and YT. I had never seen stone sheep before, so that was a real treat.

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l449/wolf913/Stonesheep.jpg

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l449/wolf913/Stonesheep2.jpg

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l449/wolf913/Bou.jpg

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l449/wolf913/Buff.jpg

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l449/wolf913/Yogi.jpg

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l449/wolf913/Lake.jpg

mroliver77
08-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Are we there yet?
J

RugerFan
08-04-2011, 07:42 PM
We're in Haines Junction for the night (saw a pair of lynx on the way here). We'll cross into AK tomorrow.

RugerFan
08-06-2011, 12:39 AM
Made it! ...........to Glennallen at least. On to Achorage in the morning.

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l449/wolf913/AKsign2.jpg

Matt_G
08-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Matanuska glacier today then. That's an impressive sight, at least it was 33 years ago.
Would love to see a pic or two if you happen to stop and take some.
Beautiful country, isn't it?

RugerFan
08-10-2011, 03:14 AM
Matanuska glacier today then. That's an impressive sight, at least it was 33 years ago.
Would love to see a pic or two if you happen to stop and take some.
Beautiful country, isn't it?

Sure, here's a couple...

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l449/wolf913/MatGlacier2.jpg

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l449/wolf913/MatGlacier.jpg

And couple more shots from the Glenn Hwy...

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l449/wolf913/Glennhwy.jpg

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l449/wolf913/Glennhwy2.jpg

Man this is some beautiful country!

gon2shoot
08-10-2011, 06:55 AM
Sure makes me miss the mountains.

Matt_G
08-10-2011, 05:30 PM
That's what I'm talking about!
Thanks for posting those pictures RugerFan. :popcorn:

I left Alaska in the Fall of '80 and have missed that place since the day after I left it.
You have a lot more to see up there.

The drive up the George Parks highway to Fairbanks is awesome.
Wait till the salmon run next year. Oh man, are you in for a treat.
The entire Kenai Peninsula is awesome as well.
One day you'll get lucky and catch the tidal bore in Turnagain Arm. Now there's a sight to see.
And of course, Denali National Park defies words.
You just have to go see it for yourself.

Yeah, I'm a little envious of ya. [smilie=s:

bearcove
08-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Now that you made it be sure to go to simon & seiferts ,in ancorage, and have a crab and artichoke appetiser and a scatch margarita. And beer battered halibut anywhere.

RugerFan
08-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Now that you made it be sure to go to simon & seiferts ,in ancorage, and have a crab and artichoke appetiser and a scatch margarita. And beer battered halibut anywhere.

Our realtor mentioned Simon & Seiferts as well (gonna get there) and I have already partaken of the coveted halibut. Mmmmmm!

Matt_G
08-12-2011, 05:56 PM
You need to check out Chilkoot Charlie's sometime as well.
That place is something else.
Read a little about it here.
http://www.koots.com/history.htm

RugerFan
09-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Finally put an offer (and then counter offer) on a house. Salmon are running, so gotta get this house hunting out of the way!

AkMike
09-03-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't know if you'll have time right now with the house hunting going on... BUT we might be getting a BIG BORE rifle shoot going towards the end of the month. 4 bore and down. Mainly double rifles and a few singles. No bolts or autos.

RugerFan
09-04-2011, 03:31 AM
I don't know if you'll have time right now with the house hunting going on... BUT we might be getting a BIG BORE rifle shoot going towards the end of the month. 4 bore and down. Mainly double rifles and a few singles. No bolts or autos.

Looks like we have come to an agreement on the house. Probably won't actually get the loan closed and moved in till next month, but thanks for the info. Maybe next time.