PDA

View Full Version : One on one bullet casting help

Bob58
01-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Is there an experienced bullet caster in the Wichita, KS, area, who would be willing to help a total newcomer to casting get started? I would like to be able to cast for a .45 Colt, with gas checks on the bullets. Am willing to pay for help.

Thanks,

Bob58

44man
01-11-2007, 02:54 PM
It sounds like a great idea although you can learn everything you need to by reading everything here.
I am sure that none of the wonderful people here would charge you if they live close to you. None of us are in this sport to make a lot of money and most only want expenses covered such as postage. Even those in business are not getting rich because friendship can be more important.
You are in the best place with the best bunch of guys. I hope there is someone near you that will help.

Scrounger
01-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Which brings up a good point. We have some very knowledgeable people here. And I'm sure that some of them don't panic in front of cameras. It would be nice if someone or ones could think out and plan a lesson in the various parts of the casting/sizing process, and record it on a digital video camera. Think how they make movies; you don't have to be perfect or go through the whole thing at one time. Break it down into short segments of the operation and record each segment, editing until you are satisfied with it, then join the various parts together. You could copy it to CDs and send a copy to Castpics. It would be available to anyone who wants to learn. Some of the specialized techniques we have developed, such as Beagling, Honing a Sizer Die, Hollow Pointing a bullet, Paper Patching, etc., should be done and posted at CastPics as well. A picture is worth a thousand words, they say. Need I say there is probably some commercial market to move this CD through the various wholesalers we deal with? I'm sure there are several here who would like to do this and do it well; and the rest of us can give suggestions and critique your performance, whether you want it or not. I suggest it not be done in Texas or CarpetMan will want to get in it and tell jokes and carry on as he does here. A little levity might lighten the mood and play well in the instructional movie, but NO SHEEP!!! I joke about this but it really is a viable worthwhile project that needs to be done.

nighthunter
01-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Bob .... If we lived closer together I'd be happy to have you over for a few casting sessions. I think Pa. is about 1200 miles so it might not be possible. However you are still welcome if you get to my area. Casting is not an exact science or really all that difficult once you get started. I agree that a hands on lesson would make a lot of things easier and a lot of questions answered in a short time frame. The basics in casting never change. You need a suitable alloy (WW), a heat source, a pot for the alloy, a bullet mold and a tool to deliver the molten alloy to the mold. If you have this covered we can help you with the rest pretty much online. Don't be afraid to just do it after reading the guidelines on this forum. With this hobby you can just remelt your mistakes and no one will ever know.
Nighthunter

fourarmed
01-11-2007, 04:56 PM
7BR is in your area. You might PM him. He is pretty busy with work, family, and IHMSA, but he might be able to steer you to someone.

454PB
01-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Scrounger has a great idea there! Naturally, not everyone would agree with whatever methods are used, but it would sure be handy for the novices. It would be possible to burn the recorded video to DVD for easy shipping, and the cost would be minimal.

I'll bet 98% of the experienced casters would be thrilled to teach a newbie. I recall how happy I was when my son finally asked me to teach him to cast.

SharpsShooter
01-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Scrounger,

That is a fine idea. I'm waaaay to unpleasant to gander at, but there is bound to be one of us good looking enough to pull it off.

SS

dk17hmr
01-11-2007, 05:14 PM
I would personally read everything you can on this site and then try out what you learned. That is how I got started. I wandered onto this site and liked what I read. Granted alot of what I learned was by trial and error, but the good thing about cast bullets is you can just throw them back in the pot. It doesnt take that long to get the hang of it. I have only been cast for half a dozen months now and am doing pretty good now, but I still learn something new everytime sign into this forum.

GP100man
01-11-2007, 05:45 PM
i started reloading in 82 bought a lyman 46th edition hand book to
read about reloading .
well the section on casting intriuged me more, so guess what i cast boolits before learning to reload!!
i can still hear my wife telling me i do every thing backwards!!!
but i had a good supply of boolits to start reloading 44 with.
read lots go about it methodicaly&most of all dont comprimse SAFETY !!!
GP

Scrounger
01-11-2007, 05:48 PM
And it doesn't have to be all one guy. Two or three or more guys could all record different segments and The Director could put them altogether. Any one segment doesn't have to run more than 5 or 10 minutes. Let's pester Sundog and Felix into doing it, with Beagle and Buckshot adding in their special tricks.

piwo
01-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Make no mistake, there is a wealth of information here, but for a beginner, it has its limitations. When one asks "where to begin, the answer is of course, "at the beginning". But a forum has no "beginning", it is a flowing river. I have been looking for the very data that bob58 seeks here, and doing word searches doesn't really cut it. Getting piecemeal fragments of wisdom only is frustrating because it doesn't tie everything together. When you're new, you really don't even know the correct questions to ask.

Scrounger's idea has merit, but will be a commitment by someone. So would a detailed "Sticky" with photos and "how to".... The reference to the manual is sound, as that probably has the step by step process. Of course, who wants to order something and wait a week or so to get it, when there is a forum of experts at hand? The reality is, both compliment each other and in tandem would be a great benefit to every "noo-B".

Can't wait for the movie!.......:drinks:

OLPDon
01-11-2007, 06:38 PM
History in the making don't forget the background music. I have Bagpipes would be glad to contribute Thats if you don't have a flock of geese willing to honk on cue.
Don

7br
01-11-2007, 06:44 PM
7BR is in your area. You might PM him. He is pretty busy with work, family, and IHMSA, but he might be able to steer you to someone.

Sure, go ahead and volunteer me. Actually, I have sent an email. I'll be gone over the weekend camping. (Lets see, 24F for the high and 9F for the low with 70% chance of ice pellets, should be a blast). I'll let SWMBO know that I am expecting a call. I will need to clean up my bench though.

A short video may actually do more justice.

dragonrider
01-11-2007, 06:46 PM
There is a lot of reading to be done, much can be found here, use the search function. Also books, The Lyman cast bullet manual is highly recommended by many here including myself. Many think that the Book by Richard Lee, Modern Reloading, is also very good, I have not read it so I can't say. Point is there is much to be found. Read as much as you can find and should you need clarification of some points there is no better place than here to ask. The knowledge and experience on this forum is second to none. BTW pictures are a huge help, not only that but we really like them. And as has been said many time, "There are no stupid questions".

Bullshop
01-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Go ahead and make my flight arrangments from Fairbanks and I will tidy up here and be ready. About a month of warmer weather will work for me and should have you turning lead into gold in that time. Please no milk run flights, I just get too grouchy for a couple days.
I will be watching for the tickets, and thanks.
BIC/BS

HORNET
01-11-2007, 07:48 PM
IIRC, doesn't Goatlips have some footage that can give some of the basics?? :???: I don't have the link handy but you can try a search or somebody that's more organized can post the link....:grin:

quiknot
01-11-2007, 09:08 PM
darn and i just made my first ingots...had i known (or thought of it) i could have set up the cam corder and recorded all the pains and triumphs...

floodgate
01-11-2007, 09:34 PM
nighthunter:

"The basics in casting never change."

HA! They do so too, from caster to caster, day to day and from mould to mould.

(But you're right - the "basics" haven't changed for the past hundred years or so.)

floodgate

steveb
01-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Which brings up a good point. We have some very knowledgeable people here. And I'm sure that some of them don't panic in front of cameras. It would be nice if someone or ones could think out and plan a lesson in the various parts of the casting/sizing process, and record it on a digital video camera. Think how they make movies; you don't have to be perfect or go through the whole thing at one time. Break it down into short segments of the operation and record each segment, editing until you are satisfied with it, then join the various parts together. You could copy it to CDs and send a copy to Castpics. It would be available to anyone who wants to learn. Some of the specialized techniques we have developed, such as Beagling, Honing a Sizer Die, Hollow Pointing a bullet, Paper Patching, etc., should be done and posted at CastPics as well. A picture is worth a thousand words, they say. Need I say there is probably some commercial market to move this CD through the various wholesalers we deal with? I'm sure there are several here who would like to do this and do it well; and the rest of us can give suggestions and critique your performance, whether you want it or not. I suggest it not be done in Texas or CarpetMan will want to get in it and tell jokes and carry on as he does here. A little levity might lighten the mood and play well in the instructional movie, but NO SHEEP!!! I joke about this but it really is a viable worthwhile project that needs to be done.

Scrounger, I want in to help on this!!!! I got the digital video camera and a couple different brands of video editing software. I can edit, put music in,etc. I have several hundred dollars worth of just nothing but special effects, though its not needed for something such as this. I do believe I have an accomplice a county up from me as well to get in on this with me and I can be the cameraman! I'm no pro by no means but have experience with editing video, music and such. This can be my directorial debut!:twisted: [smilie=1: :-D :twisted:

7br
01-11-2007, 10:10 PM
How about this... I will get together with Bob to go over some casting basics. If he is agreeable, we will video tape the event and I can get it to a dvd. What I would like is someone(s) to put together a primer/script (Felix, Sundog, others?). I will send the dvd to the head editor.I usually cast with a bottom pour furnace, but I do have access to a 5lb lee ladle pot. Maybe we could do it in chapters of about 5-10 minutes.

1) Rendering wild wheel weights into domesticated alloys.
2) Ladle casting
3) Bottom pour casting
4) Advanced topics such as the BruceB speed casting and softnose bullets
5) General knowledge - bore slugging, alloys, lubes

1Shirt
01-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Bob58, If you were to get to the Omaha area, would be glad to do a casting session with you. Have been at it for over 40 yrs. and am obviously addicted. As a lot of the others have stated, reading is good, but that by itself produces trial and error, and the errors are best avoided. 1Shirt!

44man
01-12-2007, 05:31 PM
This is one of the greatest ideas ever. I agree, the beginner can't find his way through any forum and put things in order. Bits and pieces and wild discussions will be confusing to him.
And I don't own a camcorder, darn!

Goatlips
01-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Hornet, and Bob58, here's my little effort on some of the subjects. I like the video idea, sure would like to see BruceB's big honking smelter angry! :mrgreen:

http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/smelting.html
http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/casting.html
http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/panlubing.html

Goatlips