PDA

View Full Version : 50 cal ban in Idaho proposed!

lar45
01-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi all, I just got back from the gun shop and they were talking about some proposed legislation to ban all 50 caliber centerfires for hunting.
If the F&G is considering this, I think we should send lots of letters, emails, phone calls... to voice our opinions.

Here is a link to the info.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/about/commission/jan_07/7.pdf
Maximum Caliber Restriction: Currently, Idaho does not impose a maximum caliber restriction for firearms used to hunt big game. Some hunters are concerned about the “fair chase” aspects of long-range cartridges and have requested a rule change to prohibit the use of 50 caliber or larger centerfire cartridges.
2. Should Idaho restrict the use of 50 caliber or larger centerfire cartridges for hunting big game in Idaho?
 No  No Opinion  Yes

It looks like the meeting is going on this week. I don't know if there is enough time to print the survey and send it in.

Here's their address:
Idaho Fish and Game Commission
Annual Meeting - January 10-12, 2007
Fish and Game Headquarters
600 South Walnut, Boise, ID

Other info:
Individuals with disabilities may request meeting accommodations by contacting the Idaho Department of Fish and Game Director's office at (208) 334-5159 or through the Idaho Relay Service at 1-800-377-2529 (TDD).

e-mail: idfginfo@idfg.idaho.gov

Link to online contact us: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/inc/contact.cfm

Bullshop
01-11-2007, 02:18 PM
I can understand the long range concerns as I tend to cring when I hear of
HUNTERS shooting at game at extream ranges. Most couldnt consistantly under field condidtion hit a refrigerator past 300 yards.
A friend recently witnessed a gal and her hubby shooting 3/4 of a mile at a herd of caribou. When he asked if they knew how far they were they responded with * oh its ok we have a 270* I fear the gun press encorages such practice with all the extream magnums.
As I said I understand the issue with the 50bmg but there are other 50's.
50/70, 50/90, 50/10, 50 AK, 500S&W, 500Linbaugh and such. So a 50cal ban is more far reaching than it would first appear.
BIC/BS

montana_charlie
01-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Somebody should point out to them (it's a shame that lawmakers are so ignorant about firearms) that shotgun slugs are larger than fifty caliber, too.

I agree with Bullshop about how the gun media overplays the range capability of certain cartridges. I was in camp one year, telling about a nice bull elk I had seen that morning. One guy asked why I didn't shoot it.

I repeated the fact that I saw it through binoculars, and that it was at least half a mile from me, with no cover to get closer.

His reply was, "Hell, with that 7mm Mag. you should be able to shoot as far as you can see!

Scary...
CM

obssd1958
01-11-2007, 04:05 PM
I contacted IDFG about this issue 3 weeks ago. I pointed out that the issue that they are worried about has to do with long range shooting at game - or using a .50BMG - nothing to do with 50 cal in general. Idaho already has rules on the books that prohibit hunting big game with "any firearm that, in combination with a scope, sling and/or any attachments, weighs more than 16 pounds". This effectively eliminates the .50BMGs due to their weight.
I am sure that I haven't seen every rifle in .50BMG, but all of them that I have seen are substantially heavier than 16 pounds.
Hopefully, the commission will take these things into account during their meetings this week.

As far as people shooting animals at ranges that are too far...
that's a personal ethics issue.

I agree with the general feeling here that a lot of people take shots that are way too far. Not because the weapon is not capable, but because they aren't. I choose to practice a lot and then only take shots that are within my personal capability. I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment I get when I am able to get CLOSE!!

But, I am not going to force my choices on others. We go down a slippery slope when we legislate the boundaries, like caliber choice. Today it's .50 cal, maybe tomorrow it will be .45. How far down the road before they all shoot too far??
This is essentially the same argument that goes down on the primitive weapon discussions, so I'm sure that I will get a ton of flack on this...

Don

LGS
01-11-2007, 06:36 PM
I think hunters should work harder on a united front against the anti's instead of trying to force their ideas of fair chase down everyones throat. These special interst groups among hunters are tearing hunting down. Lets put this effort into recruting young hunters and not going after each other.

Guido4198
01-12-2007, 06:51 AM
It would be a sad day if the people in Idaho find themselves following the lead of California in firearms legislation....
The next few years aren't going to be pretty. There will be attacks on firearms owners coming from all kinds of off-the-wall directions. This is just one more. I hope it fails so miserably that the whole "50-cal." thing as a new front for the anti-freedom gang goes away...but I don't look for that to happen.
Cheers,
Don

Paul105
01-12-2007, 04:20 PM
This looks like a solution to a non-existant problem. How many 50 BMGs are there out there. Not many I suspect -- you could buy 5+ years worth of beef for the price of a 50 BMG, scope and ammo.

Paul

tanstafl10
01-12-2007, 04:32 PM
allow the banning of one caliber or type of firearm and it opens the door to banning others.

Gung Ho! we must pull together on the 2nd amendment, not splinter into many small groups easily overcome

Just my opinion

Paul105
01-12-2007, 04:42 PM
allow the banning of one caliber or type of firearm and it opens the door to banning others.

Gung Ho! we must pull together on the 2nd amendment, not splinter into many small groups easily overcome

Just my opinion

I agree -- was just trying to point out the idiocy of the bureaucrats.

Mr Peabody
01-12-2007, 11:51 PM
I'll put my 2 cents worth in on their web site.
I can't see where caliber restrictions change the thought of;
Out of sight , out of range.
Thanks for the heads up