PDA

View Full Version : Let's bullets

max it
07-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Hi Folks,

It was to my thinking my good fortune to recieve the brochure of a old source of bullet makin's from Let's in S. Arizona.
But here's the rub; i called and spoke to Bill who took my order for a thermometer etc and said he would fill it and put the bill in too. I was chuffed to think someone still did biz that way. Only nothing showed up. So I called again. He asked me to email it to bulletman1. No reply. Another phone call. Sill no reply.

Got intel?

Much obliged,

Max

max it
10-19-2011, 04:55 PM
RIP Let's

:killingpc

alamogunr
10-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Try this:

http://www.theantimonyman.com/index.htm

Bill Ferguson bought the old LET"S business many years ago. I don't know where you got the brochure, but it must have been an old one that someone gave you since to my knowledge Bill has not sent out any brochures since he took over the business.

Bill Ferguson is in his mid 80's. and has slowed down in the last few years. He is a very knowledgeable metallurgist.

Sign on to the CB-L elist and ask your question there. He posts there occasionally, mostly when someone asks if he is still kicking.

It may be that he did not have your item on hand and had to order it. It could be that he just forgot. He would not intentionally cheat someone. I hope that this thread does not turn into a p#@%$& contest about his service.

max it
10-20-2011, 07:22 PM
HI John,

No no no, I wouldnt want that. He was a gentleman on the phone when I finally got him. I was chuffed (australian for pleased) that he was going to send the stuff I wanted and include a bill with it, not knowing me. But then I never got anything. And I tried his email a couple of times, no response.
As you say he plumb forgot. No worries. I just bought a thermometer from Rotometals instead. and the other smelting stuff well I just forgot what I wanted anyway. Same story, getting older I guess.

Much obliged,

Max

sleeper1428
10-20-2011, 08:51 PM
FYI - LETS (Leading Edge Tool Service) was a great supplier of boolit casting materials, things such as tin cast in precisely 1lb bars that were exactly 1 foot long which made the addition of an exact amount of tin to a mix very easy. He also supplied LETS pulverized antimony and LETS alloyer's flux which was a flux specifically designed to allow the alloying of antimony into a lead/tin mixture at normal lead/tin temperatures (700F to 800F). A gentleman named Tom (forgot his last name) ran LETS and besides the materials noted above, he also handled things like plumber's furnaces, thermometers and Rowell lades in 5 or 6 different sizes. And to top that off, he handled SAECO moulds and his prices were well below what everyone else was charging at the time (mid to late 1980's and early 1990's). When LETS folded, I decided I'd better get all that I could afford so I bought around 45 to 50 lbs of tin (price at that time was only about a third of what it is now), close to a 100 lbs of pulverized antimony and enough LETS alloyer's flux to last me for a lifetime of alloying. I also purchased 19 different SAECO moulds, both 2 and 4 cavity, and Tom gave me a real cut on the price since I almost cleaned out his remaining inventory of SAECO moulds!

Bill Ferguson took over the LETS business and for a time he supplied the same materials as Tom had done. But later on he dropped such things as the pulverized antimony and the special alloyer's flux as well as the nice 1lb 1ft long tin bars and he no longer sold boolit moulds. But he's still kept the business going and not only does he supply a lot of different boolit making alloys, he still has plumber's furnaces available, things you will have a hard time finding anywhere else. And as a metalurgist, he is outstanding and is always willing to talk to you and give you the benefit of his knowledge and experience.

Hope you have better luck with him on the next go-round.

sleeper1428