PDA

View Full Version : Bottom eject?

para45lda
07-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Friend at work says his uncle has a lever action rifle that ejects out of the bottom. It appears to be pistol caliber and possibly made in or around the 1920's?

Evidently my CRS is worse than i thought because I can't recall a model that does that.

Anyone have any ideas?

Wes

MtGun44
07-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Some Remington and Browning .22 semiautos eject from the bottom, but not familiar with any
lever guns that do.

Bill

Four Fingers of Death
07-18-2011, 03:58 AM
Doesn't the Burgess bottom eject? Ithica pump guns used to bottom eject. It was a bit hard to get your head around, but worked well enough.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-23-2011, 12:02 PM
i love the Ithaca design , i always thought it would be a darn handy carbine to make a bottom load bottom eject 44mag based on a reduced size Ithaca design i have an uncle that hunts with a old Ithaca 20 deer slayer with a smooth bore slug barrel , such a small handy fast handling gun

my Ithaca is a full size 12 ga 30 inch barrel but at least i always know my hulls will be at my feet and they are fast loading with no spoon to get in the way like the 870 you can shove shells in as fast as you can dig them out of your pocket

it very positively tosses the shell to your feet before using he same bars to raise the new shell to feed directly into the chamber

when they made their last come back they even made the deer slayer 2 that permanently fixed the barrel to the frame floating the barrel from the mag tube for greater accuracy

richhodg66
07-23-2011, 12:24 PM
I love the Ithaca 37 and have a few. The Browning BPS also feeds and ejects from the bottom and has a tang safety making it truly ambidextrous, which is why we got one since youngest son is a lefty.

I've never heard of a lever action rifle that did though. If you find out more or could post a picture of it, I'd be interested in seeing it.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-25-2011, 12:26 PM
I love the Ithaca 37 and have a few. The Browning BPS also feeds and ejects from the bottom and has a tang safety making it truly ambidextrous, which is why we got one since youngest son is a lefty.

I've never heard of a lever action rifle that did though. If you find out more or could post a picture of it, I'd be interested in seeing it.

on some of the 37's you could turn the button safety around for lefties also , the early ones also fired if you left your finger on the trigger and just pumped them

i am sure someone popped 4 in the mag and with their finger on the trigger cycled a shell into the chamber with it firing as the bolt locked up , they fixed that in later models i think around the time they made the barrels interchangeable between guns

not sure of the exact lineage of all the changes

Four Fingers of Death
07-26-2011, 01:11 AM
Doesn't the Burgess bottom eject? Ithica pump guns used to bottom eject. It was a bit hard to get your head around, but worked well enough.

Whoops! I was on the wrong track here. It has a top eject through an open port. This was one of the features not liked on the rifle as it allowed dirt, dust, etc, etc to fall into the action, unlike the 1873 which has a sliding cover.

My mate builds rifles from scratch. He has built two single shots and is currently finishing off a very strong and unusual pump action. I will pull his chain and tell him there is no such thing as a bottom eject lever rifle, that will keep him off the streets for awhile, lol.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-26-2011, 11:54 PM
My mate builds rifles from scratch. He has built two single shots and is currently finishing off a very strong and unusual pump action. I will pull his chain and tell him there is no such thing as a bottom eject lever rifle, that will keep him off the streets for awhile, lol.

Pictures of that strong but interesting pump would be nice if you could get some I'm probably not the only person who would like to see that.

Four Fingers of Death
07-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Pictures of that strong but interesting pump would be nice if you could get some I'm probably not the only person who would like to see that.

Go to Garage Gunsmith, he posts his progress there under the HeathyDee alias.