PDA

View Full Version : Saturday activities

WyrTwister
07-17-2011, 02:26 AM
I used the new electric hot plate and large metal coffee can ( insulated externally with aluminum foil faced fiber glass duct board ) to pre-melt 10 muffin pan ingots .

I would refill the Lee electric bottom pour casting pot with melted lead from the coffee can , every time the Lee casting pot got to about 50% level .

I cast a few hundred before lunch , but when I examined them , a LOT had runs that looked like cold pour .

When I started up , after lunch , I turned up the temp on the Lee pot . after the mold got up to temp , the bullets started to look OK .

I kept casting until about 03:00 PM . I had accumulated quite a few bullets & I was HOT .

I shut down production can came inside the house to cool off . :-)

I was casting 230 grain RNL lead bullets . These are from a Lee 6 cavity mold . The bullet is designed to have the nose shaped much like GI M2 Ball . They feed great . If a 1911 will feed Ball FMJ , the chances are very high it will feed these RNL bullets . I just hope they are big enough ?

That is the reason the first batch of bullets ended up cold . I was trying to cast as cold as would work OK , in the effort to get as big a bullet as I could . All those rejects ended up back in the melt , after they had drained / dried . I always drop my bullets in a 5 gallon bucket of water .

God bless
Wyr