PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Model 61 Mold Master Electric Frunace

Johnch
07-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Driving home from work today
I had to stop for a *^$*$*^% parked in the middle of the road so his wife could yard sale and not walk 50 yds

As I waited , I thought I was seeing things from the heat
A old Lyman pot

So I parked off the road and took a look
Sure enough a Model 61 almost full of lead

In need of some TLC
As the outside of the pot is rusty and the hing pin for the pour lever is a 10 penny nail

But other wise in decent shape

That is expect for the cord
It looks like the mice had a feild day eating all the insulation off 2/3 of the cord

Anyone know of a source for a new cord ?
I guess I could redo the old one if I had to

But for a $5 bill :bigsmyl2:
I figure I can aford to fix the cord

Oh BTW not 1 other item to be found to go along with the pot , as I ask

John

Le Loup Solitaire
07-16-2011, 07:22 PM
You found a good pot; one of the best made in the opinion of many. it was made by the same company that made the Saeco #24. There's lots of info around in the search dept on this forum for getting parts and repair info. A cord is no problem as any heavier appliance cord from kitchen stuff like toasters, crock pots, irons etc. will usually handle what the 61 needs. If you have to buy a new cord just check the rating before choosing. Home Depot. Ace, Lowes etc all stock what you need. LLS

oneokie
07-16-2011, 10:50 PM
If it is one of the 61's that has a plug on the end that connects to the pot, a cord for a roaster will work.

Russ in WY
07-16-2011, 11:10 PM
I have a #61 since early 70's great pot .. Picked up a 2nd one while back with out the # 61on it & with a fabric covered cord , assume it to be an earlier version .. Good Find .. Russ.

Lloyd Smale
07-17-2011, 06:51 AM
when i had mine i needed a cord too and found the one for an old electric frying pan i had worked perfectly.

Johnch
07-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks
Off to the thrift store to see if I can find a cord

John

shotman
07-26-2011, 11:25 AM
You might want to get the saeco that is on feebay right now for a back up for parts

G__Fred
10-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Secured my 61 off of Craig's List.
No idea its age, but it is older than me!

Works Great!

Swampman
01-04-2012, 04:43 PM
My Model 61 needs a control knob. Any suggestions for a source?

scrapcan
01-04-2012, 04:49 PM
swampman,

If you only need the knob and not the reostat for heat control, the knob I use don mine is just a standard knob with a set screw that I got a lowes in the hardware section. very near where the dillon powder measure knob is located.

Swampman
01-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Thanks, I just need the knob. I'll check out Lowe's.

BossHoss
01-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Awesome furnace....mine has a split bottom adjustable depth mold guide. The split bottom works great for hollow point molds....

I am gonna PID mine soon.

9.3X62AL
01-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Good find, John! These days, the hardened lead inside the pot is worth the $5 investment, so you practically got a free pot right there.

Swampman
01-15-2012, 10:55 PM
swampman,

If you only need the knob and not the reostat for heat control, the knob I use don mine is just a standard knob with a set screw that I got a lowes in the hardware section. very near where the dillon powder measure knob is located.

I couldn't find one at Lowe's.

oneokie
01-15-2012, 11:07 PM
I couldn't find one at Lowe's.

Try an appliance or electronics store. Or look on the wwgrainger site.

rockrat
01-15-2012, 11:44 PM
I think I paid $40 for my 61 with the cloth covered cord. It would get warm when casting, so just used part of an inexpensive extention cord ,16-3 outdoor cord that I had forgotten to roll up and hit it with the lawnmower (unplugged). Saved about 5 ft of it with the plug and 10ft on the other end to make a short cord.

Used the short male ended piece and used the female end off the cloth covered cord. Took about 10 min at the most, to fix.

jimkim
01-16-2012, 12:52 AM
What is the difference between the 61 Mould Master and the Mould Master XX?

DJnRF
12-25-2012, 07:45 PM
I have had my Lyman Mold Master furnace for almost 40 years now. It is old, but works well yet. I had to rewire it some, and replace the cord, but it is still better than some of the cheap aluminum ones today. I bet none of them will last as long as this one. It was thrown in with some other things I bought years ago. I only paid $35 for two presses, 500 rounds of brass, a powder measure, and a couple of scales, then the thrown in furnace with about 20 pounds of wheel weights and a commercial five pound lead ingot. I thought it a good deal.

What I would like is to find a manual for this furnace. If anyone knows where I can get, or download a copy I would like to know. Contact me in here, PM, or email with any info.