PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here - nice site

flashhole
01-10-2007, 07:48 PM
First post from a new member - hello from New York's southern tier.

I came upon this site by accident and liked what I saw and decided to join. Not new to guns, shooting, hunting, or reloading but have yet to delve into making my own bullets. This looks like the place to be for "boolit" making 101 through grad school. Happy to be here. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I get into it.

krag35
01-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Welcoma aboard flashhole;
Pretty good bunch here. Boolits are the main, but most any ? will get an answer of sorts.

9.3X62AL
01-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Welcome aboard, and a great nom de plume--I must say.

We tend to draw the line at "advice for the lovelorn", but we have been known to discuss baseball and both college and pro football in shallow depth. We even have Raiders fans here, (I'm one), although the Raider Nation looks a lot like Tadzhikistan since about 2003. Al Davis needs to find a BART train to stand in front of......but I digress.

Mostly, it's shooting--hunting--casting--and related departures. Enjoy!

454PB
01-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Welcome, flashhole. The's a vast store of knowledge hanging out here. Most of these guys use copper covered bullets too, but they won't admit it here. They talk about that at other sites......

mag_01
01-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Pull up a chair and make yourself at home here Flashole---Lots of good people and information . I know I have learned a lot and have tried to improve my lackadaisical ways.------Mag

MT Gianni
01-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Welcome Flashhole. Al you must have missed the ring for christmas thread if you thought we overlooked advice for the lovelorn. gianni.

STP
01-11-2007, 06:57 AM
Owego....hmmm, might you be a member of the TCSA club? I`m familiar with them, having shot in the Bullseye League for a spell. If you need help of some kind, let me know and I`ll see what I can do.

1Shirt
01-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Used to hunt the southern tier when I was a kid. Pretty country down there. Left NY when I was 18 and never looked back, but it is always good to go back for a visit. Welcome to a group where you can learn a lot, and where most of the time, common sense pervails.
1Shirt!

sundog
01-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Flashhole, howdy. I grew up on Long Island in the 50s. That place is certainly more than a little bit different now! Still have some family there. One of my uncles lives in Harpursville. We were up there about three years ago. Real nice around where he is. I tell people about NY who have never been there. Their normal reaction is awe that there aren't tall buildings EVERYWHERE. Here in Oklahoma many think the market is curbed on Indian culture. They should study NY (and other eastern states) history!

So, you wanna cast boolits, huh? Boolit making 101 is fun! Work your way through the learning curve, and your post graudate exam will be with Katrina (the Swede).

Tell us what you shoot. We might learn something from you. And yes, it's okay to talk about heathen slugs (jacketed bullets) as long as it's not much more other than in passing. After all, they're just a fad. sundog

LAH
01-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Welcome Flashhole.............Creeker

fatnhappy
01-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Welcome to the board flashhole.

That's beautiful country down there in Owego. Too bad about schrade.

Dean

Uncle Grinch
01-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Welcome Flashhole... you will like it here. It might even become your new homepage!

btr-cj
01-11-2007, 04:54 PM
A word of warning.

Turn back now. Do not go any further. Do not try casting any bullets. Delete this link quickly.

Once you cast your first bullet and look at it you will be hooked. It is addicting being able to create your own projectiles. You will want to show friends and family your achievements and they will look at you kind of odd. No matter, you will see the beauty in the finished product and that will be all you need.

And what ever you do stay out of the “Group Buy Forum”. That thing can deplete your bank account faster then a slot machine. You will be compelled to buy moulds for calibers you do not own. This will REQUIRE you to purchase some thing to shoot it in.

On the other hand….

It is easy to get started in casting. You do not need a whole lot of expensive equipment to start and you have just found one of the best resources for casing. Besides it is just a whole lot of fun!!!!

C.J.

SharpsShooter
01-11-2007, 05:13 PM
A word of warning.

And what ever you do stay out of the “Group Buy Forum”. That thing can deplete your bank account faster then a slot machine. You will be compelled to buy moulds for calibers you do not own. This will REQUIRE you to purchase some thing to shoot it in.

C.J.

SSSSSSHHHHHHH!!! Dadburn it brt...that's supposed to be in the fine print.......ahem.......Welcome to the board. :-D

SS

HORNET
01-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Welcome, flashhole !!:drinks:
Gee, before long you'll have to gather up some wheelweights, get a melting rig and a couple molds (or so, can't never have too many) and start saving big money like the rest of us[smilie=1: [smilie=1:
As far as group buys, you have been warned.:twisted:
Seriously, lots of good people on here and lots of good (mostly) advice and knowledge. Just watch out for the cats and sheep:holysheep .
Don't worry about the hijackers, they'll give your thread back eventually (or not).

flashhole
01-11-2007, 07:59 PM
WOW - talk about a warm welcome - thanks!

Haven't been here in New York too long, spent most all my adult life in the western part of the country (AZ, NM, CA, WA) but am now back in the east. I love the west but I have to admit this part of New York is beautiful. I don't even mind winter. I grew up in the midwest (OH) and miss the bird hunting. Deer are plentiful here as are squirrels and turkeys. I got a turkey this year but no deer.

As for guns:

Sauer 202 - 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag
Ruger #1V - 25-06
CZ 550 FS - 243 Winchester
Marlin Guide Gun - 45-70

Weatherby Orion - 20 Ga O/U
Remington Wingmaster - 20 Ga pump
Ithaca Model 37 - 12 Ga pump
Mag Tech - 410 Ga single shot

Taurus Millenium - 40 S&W

I handload for all the centerfire rifles and the 45-70 is my motivation for wanting to learn to cast my own bullets. My current affliction in "heathen slugs" is of the Hornady 350 gran RN variety but I think I can be healed. These Hornady HSs will be a tough act to follow in casting my own, as my gun is wonderfully accurate.

I'm not in a rush to jump into this, I tend to study things for awhile and sort out what I think I need to do. It will be challenging and fun.

Thanks.