PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Other Hobby?

bowfin
07-15-2011, 10:35 PM
So what is your other hobby or hobbies besides boolit casting/shooting?

I plant trees...American Chestnuts, Paw Paws, Hickories, Butternuts, whatever is out of the ordinary, native to the U.S. and strikes my fancy.

I would like to get back into flytying...

wiljen
07-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Making LED lights and Knife making.

94Doug
07-15-2011, 10:43 PM
.........there's other hobbies?

d

lancojames
07-15-2011, 10:48 PM
Wine making.

geargnasher
07-15-2011, 10:48 PM
I tied flies and flyfished for years, but life happened and haven't done it in a very long time. Model rocketry, old Chevy trucks, rock crawling (trail rides, jeeping, etc.), building our house, and woodcraft keep me busy when not playing with boolits.

Gear

felix
07-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Talking to you guys! ... felix

geargnasher
07-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Wine making.

Did a lot of that, too, back in college when my roomate and I were both underage. Used the attic space above the acoustic tiles to make meade and apple cider by the 5-gallon jug.

Gear

bcr
07-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

btroj
07-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Fly tying and fishing. Hunting. Doing house projects to keep my wife happy.
I just have a need to keep busy much of the time. I use these to get my mind off work.

DrB
07-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Bowfin -- I used to fly sailplanes for about six years (flew in Georgia, Tennessee, California, Alabama, and England), but haven't done that in a while (couldn't afford it during graduate school, then got married and had kids... didn't seem prudent). It's probably the one past hobby I really miss.

Presently I pursue wild mushroom hunting, amateur pyrotechnics, all kinds of hunting, all kinds of fishing, and working with my GSP bird dog Tyler.

That and raising our two kids keeps me mostly out of trouble.

Will, now that we've seen your outstanding lights, are you going to share some examples of your knife work with us?

Best regards,
DrB

Jal5
07-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Boating is my other main hobby, fishing as a sideline from that. but playing with the grandkids is absolutely the best!

tinsnips
07-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Motorcycles,o guage trains and my grand kids.

Iowa Fox
07-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Old Cars, 2 cylinder John Deeres, country living.

bowfin, I like to plant trees also. In 1992 I planted some of the big (mammoth) Hickory Nuts from the Amanas. In the spring of 1993 they sprouted and I have 10 of them about 30 feet tall and two years ago they had their first nuts. In July of 1993 we had one of our historic floods and the parent trees were destroyed.

In 1999 my wife and I were at the Octoberfest in Guttenberg, Iowa where they had an open house at the lock and damn. They had a Buckeye tree there with huge nuts so I took some. I have three of them growing at my place now but they are slow growing. The parent tree was torn down for expansion to the lock and damn.

When my youngest son was in 6th grade they planted locust tree seeds in styrofoam cups. His tree is now a good 40 feet high at our place.

Thirty years ago my wife and I planted hundreds of evergreen and oak seedlings from the state. They have turned into nice looking trees now. I like searching the old pristeen untouched timbers for nut seeds.

We live on 6acres but have run out of tree space.

dragonrider
07-15-2011, 11:12 PM
I've had many hobbies over the years but only these have continued,- firearms including casting, reloading, woodworking, machining.

lgvenable
07-15-2011, 11:14 PM
JBL Pro home theater, with a mix of AB Systems and BGW Sensurround amps. Using an Intgra DHC 80.2, that's 9.2 channels into 20 amps at 7600 watts. Thats driven into the three front channels, the two front high left right, and the 14 surround speakers.

What can I say, when Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry went IMAX ~ 3 1/2 years ago I acquired all of their old school stereo amps and 36 JBL Pro drivers. All in all my home theater has the same equipment as a 300 seat commercial theater.

My wife; of course; thinks I'm nuts. Certifiably insane about sound. Did I add I have a hearing loss in my left ear? My house always rumbles as the two JBL Pro 4645B 18" subs at 900 WPC go infrasonic at 15HZ.

The new "The Day the Earth Stood Still" was fantastic as Gort stepped out of the sphere.

mtnman31
07-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Cars, motorcycle, pets, build plastic models, cycling, snow boarding... wait, I have a bunch of other hobbies that I divide my time between. I suppose those listed are the ones I am most active with.

plmitch
07-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Hunting and fishing when I get a chance, playing guitar, airsoft, volunteering with my wife’s Blue Star Moms group to help support the Troops and their families.

plmitch
07-15-2011, 11:22 PM
oh, and chasing my grandson around

mroliver77
07-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Aint casting, loading shooting enough? My "spare" time is spent fixing lawn mowers, vehicles, tractors, doors, pumps, toilets etc etc. It is always something around here! When I need to get away from it I go fix things for single women that cannot help themselves.
Jay

bdbullets
07-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Hunting, Fishing, and a lot of metal detecting with my brother (he has found 7 gold coins in the last year)

9.3X62AL
07-15-2011, 11:51 PM
Hunting, fishing, and boating fill the hours in for me, and a couple hobbies associated with those pursuits add on interest. It might be more proper--in terms of priorities--to list bullet casting/shooting/reloading as adjunct hobbies to hunting, while fly tying, boat ownership, and rod-making serve a similar role for fishing. The boat is a means to an end, period.

edsmith
07-15-2011, 11:59 PM
Ham radio KE4SEP

jameslovesjammie
07-16-2011, 12:01 AM
Hunting, fishing, casting, shooting, and and pre-'72 Chevy pickups.

oscarflytyer
07-16-2011, 12:25 AM
I REFUSE to answer this - as it will PROVE my WIFE has been RIGHT ALL ALONG!

I have too damn many hobbies! Bowfin, you are aware of at least one other besides my shooting/casting/hunting. My avatar gives it away...

sleeper78
07-16-2011, 12:33 AM
Gardening, cooking, self sufficiency, just started knife making, chasing my wife around and hoping my lab will some day become a hunting dog.

smoked turkey
07-16-2011, 12:52 AM
Ham radio WA0ATU, however inactive at the moment, fly tying, wood working, playing with the grandkids, and home projects as I am the president of the do-it -yourself club. My wife wishes I would pay to have some of this stuff done so she doesn't have to wait so long!

grullaguy
07-16-2011, 01:06 AM
Hunting, bicycle touring, rock hounding, lapidary, aluminum and brass foundry projects, beer making, sausage making.....
I had to retire so I could devote more time to my hobbies.
I guess my volunteering with Habitat for Humanity is a hobby to, but it often, it just seems like work.

Jailer
07-16-2011, 01:10 AM
Fast motorcycles, drag racing and building and repairing computers. Actually think I may have missed my calling on the last one as it seems to keep me pretty busy working on other peoples stuff.

JBL Pro home theater, with a mix of AB Systems and BGW Sensurround amps. Using an Intgra DHC 80.2, that's 9.2 channels into 20 amps at 7600 watts. Thats driven into the three front channels, the two front high left right, and the 14 surround speakers.

What can I say, when Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry went IMAX ~ 3 1/2 years ago I acquired all of their old school stereo amps and 36 JBL Pro drivers. All in all my home theater has the same equipment as a 300 seat commercial theater.

My wife; of course; thinks I nuts. Certifiably insane about sound. Did I add I have a hearing loss in my left ear? My house always rumbles as the two JBL Pro 4645B 18" subs at 900 WPC go infrasonic at 15HZ.

The new "The Day the Earth Stood Still" was fantastic as Gort stepped out of the sphere.

I am envious of your setup. My simple setup consists of JBL LC2 center, JBL L820 surrounds and Infinity SM 155 fronts driven by an Onkyo TX-SR805 with an old receiver running 4 Aura Pro shakers mounted under the main seating positions. MY subwoofer is a Mach 5 audio MJ-18M in a home built slot port enclosure tuned to 24Hz.

Mine is nothing close to what you have but it works good. I'd love to upgrade the subwoofer but I think I'd end up in divorce court if I did.

Oh yeah, I got my first set of hearing aids when I was 30 so I'm right there with you on the hearing loss tip.

Simonpie
07-16-2011, 01:23 AM
For me, motorcycle roadracing. Mostly vintage on a Harley Sprint (Aermacchi) but I did run a modern 600 in 2007, 2008.

The sound system story reminds me of a prof I had back in college. He was big into classical music. When all the recording studios went digital he picked up some top of the line "reel to reel" players for pennies and started collecting obscure concert tapes. The guy was in heaven.

Southern Son
07-16-2011, 01:30 AM
With my shooting I like to reload, cast and work an the rifles/revolvers/pistold where I can. I am the same my fishing. I make my own rods, tie my own flies and work on what I can on the boat. Other than fishing and shooting, I don't have time to scratch.

bigjason6
07-16-2011, 04:15 AM
Cq cq cq de kg6top, motorcycles, rc helicopters, and woodworking. Too many hobbies!

Lloyd Smale
07-16-2011, 06:12 AM
racing snowmobiles and motocross but because ive gotten to old and the back is so bad my hobby is lived through my 3 grandsons. I spend the money and they do the work.

dale2242
07-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Gardening,fishing, grandchildren, and woodworking, mostly with the scrollsaw......dale

Bret4207
07-16-2011, 07:45 AM
Farming used to be a hobby, now it's a vocation. Add in small engine repair, horses, home repair, taking junk and making it work again, stuff like that. There are a couple boats and some fishing stuff here some where, a large garden area, plans for a root cellar and orchard, firewood, bulldozers, plans for a dump truck...the list goes on.

Actually, casting and shooting are rare events these days, the kids and grandkid \keep me too busy.

casterofboolits
07-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Plastic models of WW2 tanks and vehicles. Tamiya, Dragon, AFV Club, etc.

sljacob
07-16-2011, 08:57 AM
my wife and I run a small cattle ranch with about 35 head of cattle and a few horses

during calving and haying season it can turn into a second full time job but we enjoy it.

Fishman
07-16-2011, 09:09 AM
I have too many hobbies as well but my passion for the past couple years has been learning guitar which is difficult. I like difficult. Easy is boring.

bearcove
07-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Building and using boats to go fishing and hunting in Alaska.

TCFAN
07-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Beside shooting and everything that goes along with it I do a little fly tying and fishing. Also like to hunt arrowheads in plowed fields along the rivers and springs around here.

Also do some photography.Before computers and Photoshop I did a lot of darkroom work in color and black&white.Now film is about dead and Photoshop make darkroom work so much easier.........Terry

rockrat
07-16-2011, 09:57 AM
For me it has been shooting/casting along with flying, golfing and motorcycling. All cheap hobbies you understand!!!

Geraldo
07-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Traditional archery, bicycling, learning to play guitar, tried sailing and loved it but I don't really have the means or place for a boat.

My wife has created a botanical garden, so I help a bit with that. Growing a few varieties of oranges, lemon, lime, sugar apple, mango, and the like. We're going to plant coffee trees next so I can roast my own.

sagamore-one
07-16-2011, 10:12 AM
I make an occasional violin, viola, or cello.

Gswain
07-16-2011, 10:15 AM
4 wheeling, rock crawling, motorcycles, live steam, hiking, workin on my cars, etc.

justingrosche
07-16-2011, 10:15 AM
raising a family and work seem to take up most of my days. Casting, loading, shooting, hunting are the other 1%.
I'd like to take up metal detecting someday.

redneckdan
07-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Too many to list at once. I am getting back into fly tying. In the winter I am a ski patroller at a local ski area. Also a ham, tech right now but have ambitions to go all the way to extra. I ride dual sports. I like to go camping. Jen and I even have a canvas wall tent for the colder months.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Gardening, collecting, beer/wine making, collecting, small engine repair, collecting, cut-split firewood, collecting, bicycling, collecting and collecting...OH, and did I say collecting ?
someday, I need to thin out my collections.[smilie=1:
(so I can make room for more):mrgreen:
Jon

PS obviously the gardening leads to harvesting.

10x
07-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Other than casting bullets, shooting them.
Oh and educating firearms owners about the rather nasty Canadian gun laws.

Trey45
07-16-2011, 11:56 AM
I collect Zippo lighters, I have one off of every Navy ship I worked on. Since I'm no longer working on Navy ships my collecting has slowed way down, but every once in a while I buy another to add to the collection.

Very recently I got into digital photography, I can see this is going to be a lot of fun already.
I traded a Beretta PX4 40SW G series pistol for a Canon EOS 40D and one lens. One day I'll figure out everything this camera does. I have a course technology and a magic lantern book for this camera.

Tom-ADC
07-16-2011, 11:59 AM
I used to crank on wrenches for my old hot rods but now everything is sold off.
I'm just getting started in knife making, we'll see how that goes.
I do play some golf now and then.

bowfin
07-16-2011, 12:14 PM
So I take it that very few of us here ever complain that

"There is nothing to do...":lol:

(I have a standard rant about "Well, that is why people drink so much around here/kids get in trouble/we can't attract any new business because there is nothing for anybody to do around here."...but I will save that for another thread.)

bowfin
07-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Bowfin, you are aware of at least one other besides my shooting/casting/hunting. My avatar gives it away...

Thanks for reminding me my backcast sucks...but at least I have a sucky backcast with some nice looking flies on the end of my leader...

...hanging up there in a Cottonwood tree...:lol:

oscarflytyer
07-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks for reminding me my backcast sucks...but at least I have a sucky backcast with some nice looking flies on the end of my leader...

...hanging up there in a Cottonwood tree...:lol:

TIP: Debarb the hooks unless you want to join the younger gen with piercings. Don't ask me how I know...

And if I ever get all my brass prep'd, bullets cast, etc, maybe I will tie some wets and send you some more. hope you and your son are enjoying the ones so far. I know all the guys here really appreciated the knife, especially when I told them the story behind it, and how I got them. Thanx again!

bowfin
07-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Iowa Fox,

You have a few of us curious to learn more about your hickory trees. Can the be bought commercially?

I think every tree planter should get a small portion of land from the government...

...maybe a township's worth...or even give us a golf course to rehabilitate.

Jeffrey
07-16-2011, 01:16 PM
16 yo son, 15 yo daughter, middle ages reenactment. See link to big event this part of the country.

http://www.gulfwars.org/about.html

Jeffrey

shovel80
07-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Motorcycles, Old Tractors and Implements..Guitars..
Terry

W.R.Buchanan
07-16-2011, 01:42 PM
My other major hobby is building a Jeep Scrambler from scratch. In fact I am painting the engine today. This one has kept me from really going into gun mode for the last several years .

I have 3.5 years in fabrication, and 7 total in the build.

You can see the build at www.4btswaps.com

The name of my thread in the buildups forum is "Here's the DeScrambler" If you sign up for the forum (2 min) you can see the literally hundreds of pictures posted showing the work.

Randy

bowfin
07-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Plastic models of WW2 tanks and vehicles. Tamiya, Dragon, AFV Club, etc.

That's another hobby I would pursue If I could slip in an extra day into the week. Maybe do them in pairs, such as "Egyptian T-55 vs. Israeli Centurion" or "Sherman Firefly vs. Tiger".

I would need more room to keep them, or else give them away to someone.

Sheriff
07-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Fly fishing, fly tying, and since retiring, playing with the grandkids.

DragoonDrake
07-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Gardening, fishing, hunting, canning
About that order too

Iowa Fox
07-16-2011, 06:40 PM
bowfin,
I have seen Stark Bros Nursery from Louisiana, Mo. advertise them for sale in their catalog. I'm not sure if they still do.

We have the normal Hickories which thrive in our area. The nuts on the big ones are over twice the size of them.

BD
07-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Used to be: Boating, whitewater kayaking and hunting. lately its: work, work and work. Must be time to retire again. I've "retired" four times so far. Unfortunately I never seem to take enough money along to make it stick.
BD

felix
07-16-2011, 08:01 PM
My house always rumbles as the two JBL Pro 4645B 18" subs at 900 WPC go infrasonic at 15HZ.

Man, that reminds me of the good 'ol days. We used 18" Hartley's bolted to concrete enclosures, or in one special situation to the floor of a house trailer for the rumble effect only. The en-total speaker array typically used Acoustec Model 10s, or Altec theater speakers plus Quad electrostats for the otherwise full range (organ + airy strings) classical gurus. Everything was set up with adjustable electronic crossovers, typically called parametrics nowadays. We even got Altec to modify their 3rd octave equalizer for the house trailer application to include a 15 cycle rheostat in place of their 20K which no body could hear in that place with authority anyway. Blame that on rock-n-roll parties at 85db plus. However, if the sound tracks from Midway or BattleoftheBulge did not make you dive under the nearest couch, you were already dead. ... felix

fixit
07-16-2011, 09:02 PM
my handle says part of it! i love making broke things work! i also tend to create much by adaptation or from scratch. woodwork, metalwork, gunsmithing,auto repair, general tinking, and for the past 10 to 15 years i've gotten pretty deep into bow building.

blackthorn
07-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Retired 4 times! Looks like it will stick this time! Still able to hunt a bit but stopped taking shots that take all day to get the Moose out of the bush. Mostly just go for the trip and to spend some time with my boys. Help the odd person with problems related to workers compensation or unemployment insurance and the like (just to keep my hand in). Spend time with LOML! Life is GOOD.

Ozarklongshot
07-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Used to have an offroad jeep and street bikes and did skydiving videographer. Wife said I needed to pick one. Sold the bike and the Jeep. She said "thats not the direction I was hoping for" Still a skydiver but can't see that lasting much longer. To much stuff on my plate these days

07-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

Han mu do...woodworking...1968 Firebird

BOOM BOOM
07-16-2011, 11:34 PM
HI,
DID I MENTION I LIKE TO SHOOT A BIT?
Teach jujitsu 4 hr./wk & karate 4hrs./wk, get firewood during summer, oh my aching back.
HUNTING, HUNTING,HUNTING.:Fire::Fire:

Don Purcell
07-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Building plastic scale model aircraft and occasionally WW2 German armor. Also the old sailing ships. Getting things together to also start building large scale R/C aircraft.

07-17-2011, 12:13 AM
My wife says that "pooterizing" is my biggest hobby and gripes at me about it. Deer hunting is my real love. Reloading, casting is a means to an end--I get to shoot free as I "sell" a bit of stuff to feed my "habit"-lol. Used to shoot competitively many years ago when the hands were steadier and the eyesight keener. Now I can hardly see a fly at 300 yards- much less which eye I want to shoot out. The canoes have not been wet for two years and have given my son the trolling motors for his kayaks. Love gardening in the raised beds we built three yrs ago. We can/freeze/dry a great deal of fruit(from our new orchard closer to our home) and veggies. We try to pass on pioneering/survivalist skills to the younger generation and instill a deeper patriotism at our bi-annual gatherings. Next is Oct. near Rockingham, NC. We try to teach the youngsters safe shooting habits and have fun also when it is our turn at the benchs. Also love working in our church and especially with the SBaptist Disaster Relief teams. Lots to do and so little time--I just love retirement--I think--lol.

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-17-2011, 12:32 AM
1. hunting Africa. Next trip will be with CB's in a Ten Bore Double and a Haenel 8x57.

2. my wife and I have a XK-8 convertible, and a new Fat Boy (If I have to explain either to you, you need to get out more).

regards,

Rich

bandit7.5
07-17-2011, 01:55 AM
When I come across an old walden in my travels around the outback of NW Florida and Alabama.SWEET. :bigsmyl2: Some of the old mom and pop roadside stores will have a card display of old knives collecting dust on a back shelf. Its the only collecting that has a small case that does not get the SWMBO attention.
also bolt action milspec rifles and reloading my cast boolits

geargnasher
07-17-2011, 02:10 AM
Wow. It's amazing how many fly-tiers there are here, I don't feel so weird.

Felix, an audiophile? Didn't figure you for that. Acoustical Engineering was my first goal in college, found I needed to major in Physics for that and do post-grad work for the actual degree, so I changed tack halfway through and went with Mechanical Engineering instead, much larger and better defined job market. Part of me still yearns to be an acoustical consultant for theatres, both live and motion-picture. One of my best friends from college went on to be a pipe organ builder, very interesting profession. We have a mutual friend who owns a single-screen theatre in Ganado (100 miles south of Houston on 59, you may have been there) and helped him install the world's only fiber-optic audio signal transmission system, necessary to get the signal from the processors in the booth 180 feet to the amps backstage without signal loss or interference from local police transmissions across the street. The signal-to-noise ratio is very impressive. AT&T supplied the FO and connectors, JBL uses his facility as a prototype to demo new speakers. Last time I was down there, the front center balcony seat had been tuned with an RTA to +/-2 dB from 11-24K Hz and phase adjusted on all seven channels to about an inch. It was like being IN the movie. A nine element lens helps the visuals, too. At least I can live vicariously through them!

Gear

geargnasher
07-17-2011, 02:21 AM

My wife; of course; thinks I nuts. Certifiably insane about sound. Did I add I have a hearing loss in my left ear? My house always rumbles as the two JBL Pro 4645B 18" subs at 900 WPC go infrasonic at 15HZ.

What, no Rives PARC to even-out all that bass? :kidding:

Gear

azcruiser
07-17-2011, 04:08 AM
I do a little gold prospecting,have a Keene dry washer and
recirculation sluice box pans and stuff
Also 4x4 Toyota Land Cruisers 1977 fj 40 and a 1987 fj 60
Coins-stamps -reloading -shooting

mold maker
07-17-2011, 06:48 AM
Boy I was beginning to think, I was the only one to chase the elusive magic yellow metal.
I cut gemstones for years till the eyes went dim.
Now it's helping with 4 grand children, that keeps me off the streets.

NVWalt
07-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Watching beautiful women and poking dead animals with a stick, and a few other very sick persuits.LOL

bensonwe
07-17-2011, 09:21 AM
A couple of my hobbies are repairing/rebuilding homes. I've completed one and starting my second. I also live in them as I do the work. I have a very understanding wife. Another hobbie is bringing back to life old tools/machinery. I've redone three 1950's craftmans tablesaws. But, the hobbie I seemto not be able to kick is the casting boolits, reloading and most anything with shooting. On Mondays mornings the guys at work just ask me what I shot over the weekend as they know I shot something.

felix
07-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Gear, yes indeed, back when! The most brilliant person in the business nowadays would be 'Al Siniscal' <alsiniscal@aol.com> who has Las Vegas locked up, or did have for years. He built a firm to do exactly what your objectives once were in audio-visio. All the casinos employ(ed) his firm to do their requirements from the start of construction. Al is sick now, but I knew him as a high school friend in St. Louis who graduated numero-uno by far, class of 1959, my class. He got his degree(s) at Washington University on a full ride scholarship. Ask your hi-fi buddies about him, especially the JBL folks if and when you see them down in the Houston area. Al and I did none of this while in high school, and did not get into it until we had our first jobs. I think his first was doing avionics for McDonnell. Let's keep in touch about this. ... felix

10x
07-17-2011, 10:44 AM
I forgot to mention motorcycles, mostly Norton Atlas and Commando models....

felix
07-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Gear, check around the net, and sure enough, Al Siniscal is recognized quite well enough......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph5z7T0DWtw

... felix

garbear
07-17-2011, 11:09 AM
My secret hobby is gardening. No not flowers but vegetables. Rock hounding, exploring the west desert of UT, camping fishing and geo caching. Oh all this entails raising my tribe. Anyone of you come out to my area to rock hound let me know I'll help you the best I can.
Garbear

twoworms
07-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Hold on, you can cast boolits and have one other hobby?

If I hand one other hobby it would be motorcycles... ;-)

Tim

Echo
07-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Nothing other than shooting, reloading, and casting right now. But, in the past, I was W5HZM, built my own linear to go with my Hammarlund HX-50 and Drake 2-B. Also flew control-line model planes, competed in the USAF World-Wide Contest with my guru (another A2C) who knew what he was doing. When I completely retired I got into RC (electric, not wet) but heart surgery quieted my ardor for the effort. SWMBO & I did Square (and Round) dancing for many years, but first it was employment (home for 44 hours on weekends), then health issues, that stopped that.
So now it's just shooting sports - Old & Ugly (see sig block), out of condition, out of practice, not competitive anymore, so just poke holes in paper.

fecmech
07-17-2011, 12:47 PM
I own an old stone home built around 1840. The mortar has deteriorated quite a bit and needs to be repointed( those guys' back then just didn't build things to last!). I am working on the east and final wall and it is something that I really enjoy doing. I did some research in the beginning and found out there was no cement when this was built and the mortar is just lime and sand and that is what I'm repointing with. It is a very soft mortar that allows for movement and breathability in the wall and therefor long life. Seeing as what I'm taking out is the original mortar I decided to replace it with the same. The west wall which is the mirror image of this one took me 190 hours( labor) last year. In the picure the left side is almost done and I'm getting ready to move the scaffold.
We have lived in the house since 1968 and it has been a very good home. I hope the ghosts are happy with my work because I sure have appreciated their stone working skills. When I finish this wall I'm going to attempt to build a stone wall around one of my wife's flower beds. Just thought I would share. Nick

Down South
07-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Hunting, Fishing, Sporting Clays & Skeet and in that order. I pretty much bow hunt for deer these days. I've been doing a lot of practice and working on my bow a lot the past few weeks preparing for the up coming bow season. I'll be heading for Kentucky the first week in September for a bow hunt.

Charlie Two Tracks
07-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Touring on a Kawasaki Voyager and putting over 9,000 miles a year on it until last year. My wife talked me into selling it and getting a motor home. I do like the switch and I got back into fishing with a 17' Bass Tracker we pull behind the Motor Home. It's kind of nice to have your home wherever you go.

oksmle
07-18-2011, 12:11 AM
My avatar pretty much says it all. It's a '46 Champ that has taken Mrs. oksmle & me all over the state of OK, with fly rods tied to the struts & deflated tube floats in the baggage compartment. We land next to farm ponds & an occasional river bed to do our fishing & camping. Today I finished installing the third engine since it was new. It's still a 65 hp, but this time has chromed jugs. Didn't realize just how sick the old one was 'til I took off behind a new one. Life is good....

FISH4BUGS
07-18-2011, 08:35 AM
As a kid, and up until I was about 30 (got married) I played in bands. I played the Hammond organ, and I sold everything after I quit playing. After I dropped out of college in 67, I went on the road with a band for 2 years. Before hitting the road, I tried to enlist but was rejected (blind in one eye and flat feet). It was an 8 piece show band that toured the midwest from Canada to Texas. We were called the Stepping Stones.
Being young and foolish I lived the sex, drugs and rock and roll lifestyle for a few years. Needless to say it was a ball! Suffice to say I did a lot of things that thankfully the statute of limitations has run out on.
I recently purchased a 1964 Hammond A105 (B3 in a home cabinet) with a Leslie 251 speaker and have taken up playing again. The sound of a Hammond tone wheel organ is unlike any other through a Leslie. If you know what I am saying you can appreciate it.
Who knows....maybe when I retire I will start a band of former musicians that played in their teens and 20's.
8 piece 60's and 70's rhythm and blues band anyone?
Gotta have horns and the hammond organ.....we will call it The Casters!

legend
07-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Well i garden when im not fishing and hunt elk and whitetails in the fall. then my wife and i tie flys(mostly in winter snowstorms in our camper) its quiet and nobody bothers us all day.
then i turn woodbowls on my woodlathe(third generation woodturner) yesterday finished turning two bowls as wedding presents this month.

i cast a lot of sinkers i sell localy to sporting goods stores (great use for ZINK)

Trapshooting has been an afliction for thirty plus years.

As the old folks on the block we are grandparents to everyone,fixing what people don't know how to....makes me wonder who didn't teach them....

i too goldpan as time permits,hunt arrowheads,drive demo derbys(at 63 my wife wants me to grow up)

TOO MANY HOBBIES !!!! And i will never change,gotta go meet a fishing buddy now...its trout for supper.

treadhead1952
07-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Yeah, just like a lot of ya'll, it ain't just a hobby, it's hobbies for me. I am another one of those plastic model builders, the local hobby shop guys say I have the third largest navy in the world, just in 1/700 scale. I also haunt Lake Mead and Mojave with my Kayak which also gets slimed with fish parts as I fish off of it as well. I also have a float tube that I use for some of the quieter waters. I don't fly cast though, never had the patience to pick it up, gimme a good old open face spinning reel on a 7 foot rod. When I get a new hand gun it is time to break out the leather gear to whip up something to carry it in. My Ruger P 95 got the latest addition.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/treadhead1952/EmRugerP95_019.jpg

AZ-JIM
07-18-2011, 10:08 PM
In no particular order:
Ham radio, after my dad passed away I picked up his call - N7NRA
Archery, just did a 3-D shoot this weekend, had an awesome time
Camping
Hunting
I go fishing but usually have more fun catching crawdads
I have a garden that needs some work, it went into a bit of disarray when I hurt my back last year. I would like to expand it enough to be able to do some canning.
I did some snowboarding before I hurt my back to, that has probably come to an end too, it's fun but not worth re-injuring my back
I have done skydiving, twice
Used to drag race, had a Nova with a 454 and nitrous....wooo hooo!
4 wheeling
hiking

and that is the shortened list! It is neat to see how many of us are into the same things and how like minded people usually like the same things that are unrelated to the things that originally brought them together.

az-jim

mnkyracer
07-19-2011, 12:00 AM
My hobby is more like a 2nd job that I'm not paid for. Most of my time is spent working on a friends Dirt Late Model, especially now since his father passed 2 months ago. 3 nights a week at the shop plus race nights = a lot of long hot hrs.

Dean D.
07-19-2011, 12:26 AM
My main hobby outside of casting/reloading/shooting is Lapidary. I've been a life long Rockhound but did not find the lapidary outlet for my interest until I was in the military. Hobby shops rock! About 10 years ago I decided to learn silversmithing so I could dispose of some of my cut gemstones in a more presentable manner. I always felt like a cad gifting someone a nice gemstone, causing them have to pay to have it set.

Lately, due to some enabler from this site whom I will not name as Waksupi, I have been having a blast Buckskinning. It's been fun making my own kit and especially building my own flintlock rifle. I've also been dabbling with a bit of flintknapping (*gasp* BREAKING that good lapidary material????? :shock:).

This year is my first attempt at growing tobacco. It has kept me busy throughout the spring and will do so until it is hanging in the barn.

I have many many more hobbies but the above listed are the ones I am actively pursuing at this time. One of these days if I ever get my forge built I want to try my hand at blacksmithing. So many hobbies, so little time... :veryconfu [smilie=l:

David2011
07-19-2011, 01:27 AM
The diversity experts should do so well! I used to sail but Katrina ended that. Other activities include a little amatuer astronomy, build and fly radio controlled airplanes from time to time and love to build static models. Several wooden boat model kits are awaiting my attention now. Photography is always present since it was the source of income for many years. This forum is something else I really enjoy. For shooting activities there are lots of coyotes in New Mexico and once I get fully relocated I'll get back to IPSC competitions.

David

no34570
07-19-2011, 04:37 AM
I have my cast boolits,of course.
I have just taken up woodwork,I love to camp,love my dog,we go everywhere together,computers,gardening and hunting ;)

ricksplace
07-19-2011, 07:45 AM
Photography. Not the "instant gratification of Wal-Mart (digital)" photography. I run a traditional wet darkroom for black and white and colour. I shoot 35 mm to 4X5" All of my cameras are fully mechanical. I am also helping my son completely renovate an old farmhouse. We have stripped it right to the studs, wired and plumbed it, re-insulated, etc. Good thing I'm retiring next year.
I make wine too.

Ajax
07-19-2011, 08:00 AM
I love casting bullets and reading historical accounts of just about anything. I am also a avid online gmaer.

Andy

AZ-JIM
07-19-2011, 08:15 PM
... I am also a avid online gmaer.

Andy

Online gmaeing has always interested me how can I get started!?

Sorry couldn't resist :kidding:

az-jim

doug strong
07-25-2011, 01:08 AM
I am in the same Medieval reenactment group though I am based out of Chicago.

I did the combat there for 25 years until I blew out my knee. Multiple times under the knife to fix it and my armoured combat days are behind me. I still make suits of armour and teach others to do the same. http://talbotsfineaccessories.com/

16 yo son, 15 yo daughter, middle ages reenactment. See link to big event this part of the country.

http://www.gulfwars.org/about.html

Jeffrey

JeffinNZ
07-25-2011, 06:06 AM
I used to do a lot of moutain bike riding but with two little girls, a house and section to look after there is not so much time as once there was. Still ride a bit and like my vege garden same as Garbear mentioned.

Wayne Smith
07-25-2011, 09:34 AM
We live in the suburbs so not enough room for a bigger garden or more trees. We both sing in the Church choir, I lead a diabetic support group, am getting back into tying flys, do some woodworking - mostly to make what I need. Some woodturning, both to support the woodworking and to turn bowls. I've made hiking and walking sticks, pens, and bowls in the past. Part of the interest is using found materials to make things, but I think we may be going to more fancy stuff in the near future. LOML wants to learn to use the lathe and fly fish.

BorderBrewer
07-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Besides shooting, casting, and gun collecting I also like home brewing beer, sausage making, working on my old Willys jeeps (47 CJ2A and 1960 6-226 Wagon), restoring old tube radios, kayak fishing, and gardening. I can't wait till I can retire.
Regards,
BorderBrewer

slide
07-25-2011, 09:28 PM
This will probably sound strange. I am a huge fan of the universal monster movies. I spent many a Saturday afternoon watching Frankenstein,Wolfman,etc. I collect movie posters and anything else I can find.

Mal Paso
07-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Recreational Earth Moving like berms and grading at the local range. There's got to be more Yellow Iron fans out there. Happiness is Hydraulic!

waksupi
07-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Let's see. Buckskinning. Blacksmithing. Ice fishing. Bicycling. Fishing. Hunting. Cooking(!). Scotch sampling. Making most anything with my hands. I do so many things, I can't think of all of them.

btroj
07-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Waksupi hit on something here- notice that many of us are into things that involve doing something with our hands? Might that be part of what draws us to casting?

Trey45
07-26-2011, 09:12 AM
I forgot to say gardening and pickling/canning. Obviously not full year round there, seasonal at best, and this year not so much, the weather has been terrible for the garden, only got to put up maybe 5 gallons of pickles and canned veggies all total.

Wayne Smith
07-26-2011, 11:52 AM
I forgot to say gardening and pickling/canning. Obviously not full year round there, seasonal at best, and this year not so much, the weather has been terrible for the garden, only got to put up maybe 5 gallons of pickles and canned veggies all total.

Yeah, Trey, with the weather changing we have to go to more warm weather crops. I've got two artichokes growing in my garden. Saw them in Williamsburg and decided to try them.

Trey45
07-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Artichoke pickles! Let me know if you want the recipe.

Moonie
07-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Well when I started making mead/wine/beer earlier this year my wife informed me I can only have one hobby, guns or mead/wine/beer making. I told her guns wasn't a hobby it was an obsession. Thank goodness she doesn't think all my other hobbies are hobbies...

Also, thank goodness she doesn't separate out all the things "guns" involves, shooting, reloading, casting, collecting...

Almost forgot, 8 children and 7 grandchildren, they do keep me real busy.

crabo
07-27-2011, 12:35 AM
My two hobbies/ obsessions are guns and guitars. I'm a bass player.

Fish4Bugs, I love old school R&B, blues, jazz, so I'm up for the band. I played quite a bit with a couple of bands with B3 players. As long as they stay outta my space with their pedals, we get along great. There is nothing like having the leslie take off and start spinning.

PM me an email and I'll send you an addition song.

iwottopq
07-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Hello to all.
My Hobbies: Motorcycles (mainly Moto Guzzi), scouting, trekking, Hiking, ham-radio.
Ciao
Nino

another gsxr 1k
07-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Seems like there are quite a few really interesting hobbies out among the folks here.
For me it's always been motorcycles.
Did motorcycle roadracing for a couple years, until I took a particularly nasty spill a couple years ago. At that point, roadracing became a secondary pursuit to rehab... Always fun when you walk into one hospital and wake up in a different one. (note the sarcasm)
Modern archery became a hobby with the side benefit of rehab exercise.

Of course there's boolit casting, reloading, and shooting. Usually at the range every other weekend with my 16 year old daughter. She's the co-conspiritor in the budget raid. She's scammed two pistols in the last month. She dragged (wasn't hard though) me into a local sporting goods shop and said "I want a pink pistol", damn if they didn't have a breast cancer edition Browning Buckmark on clearance... Then, last weekend, she got to try a Ruger Super Redhawk (.44 mag). So then it was that I need to get a .44 magnum. Got lucky and found a lightly used one for a decent price. I have a small Curio and Relics collection and the C&R FFL.
I really enjoy helping other folks
learn (teaching?) about shooting.
I'm going to need a second money making hobby to afford all my other hobbies.

midnight
07-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Besides casting and shooting. hunt, fish, tie flies, grandkids, making anything I desire rather than buying it ready made. I read a LOT. History, from Adam Smith, John Stuart Mill, John Locke to all of Winston Churchill. Every WWII book written by the men who were there and that means the Germans, Japanese and Russians too. Every gun and gun history book I can get my hands on. Mystery and spy novels by the gross. Glad I retired years ago so I have time to live.

Bob

PatMarlin
07-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Here's one I've got to start someday-

1970 IH Scout 800B 304 V8, 4 on the floor with posi all the way around. removable hardtop.

http://www.patmarlins.com/scout1.jpg

http://www.patmarlins.com/scout2.jpg

44man
07-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Everything and anything but my very best hobby is trouncing Freedom nuts! :veryconfu:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2: .

secondshooter
07-28-2011, 04:51 PM
besides shooting i like to restore old military equipment and get out in the boat when the tide and weather work together, also the never ending job of converting my boatbuilders workshop into a house.

Blammer
07-28-2011, 10:19 PM
my other hobby is raising kids. :)

white eagle
07-28-2011, 10:37 PM
mine is eatin'

HORNET
07-29-2011, 09:01 AM
I cast boolits. Between molds, lubrisizers, gas checks and all the other toys to help me save money, I can't afford any other hobbies.

Beagler
07-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Cookin, Jerky/Sausage makin, Hunting/Fishing, Camping, Playing with old Farmalls, Small Engine repair, Arborist (my side-work Business) and the list goes on. I;m a very busy person I cant sit still very long unless I'm relaxing in a treestand or blind

JOptionPane
07-30-2011, 11:27 AM
i build high power rockets and custom pool cues http://www.blackmesacues.com

PatMarlin
07-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Cool. The Shilo Arms of pool cues... :mrgreen:

G. Blessing
08-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Used to do a lot of knife making, a hobby then professionally for a while, now on that line I just collect and using traditional pocket knives.(none of his asisted open onehand liner locking ****)...

Other main hobby is automotive work, fixing, building and customizing trucks... late 60s to late 70s ford and chevy pickups.

Some hiking, camping and bushcraft. a bit of survival preparedness and training....

G.

Rick N Bama
08-02-2011, 06:50 PM
For years I built RC Aircraft which my son flew. He grew up & moved on so shooting is now my prime pastime. The daughter & her husband are looking to buy a place on a nearby lake this winter (prices go way down in the winter) so fishing may well become my & my wife's hobby. I'm probably about to be completely retired so we should have the time for it.

Rick

NoZombies
08-02-2011, 07:33 PM
I smoke and collect Pipes. If you've ever smoked a pipe, you understand why I call it a hobby.

I also smoke cigars.

tonyjones
08-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Salt water fly fishing, classical music, reading (history, biography, etc.), cigars, pipes..... I think I need more money.

Tony

jcwit
08-03-2011, 06:34 PM
I smoke and collect Pipes. If you've ever smoked a pipe, you understand why I call it a hobby.

I got off tobacco little over 10 years ago. Totally against its use.

With that said I still miss my pipe.

My other Hobby? Enjoying life to the fullest, and helping others.

OeldeWolf
08-05-2011, 01:40 AM
Let's see, there is collecting C&R firearms, which is taking a little setback here and now, There is reloading and shooting. The fishing here is bad, water is too bad to be able to eat the catch, so why bother? Some old car restoration, but the Doc says that is not going to happen again. Anyone looking for a partially done 1976 Jeep Cherokee, 2 door, 4WD? Flying models, so long ago that the engines I used are now all collectibles... Plastic models, collecting and building, mostly spaceships, WWi and II aircraft, and sailing ships. Woodworking and making things I need but can not afford.. Books. Definitely Books, Collecting and reading, on a variety of genres, but scifi and fant for pleasure. Fixing almost anything, including the house, that is just a part of life. Colle3cting knives and edged weapons. Some disaster preparedness/survivalist stuff.

At the current rate, in a few years I will be not working, just hope not too bunged up to enjoy a few of my hobbies. :)

375supermag
08-06-2011, 10:16 AM
I have a couple of current hobbies and a few that I will get back into once retirement happens. I am nearly 57 years old, so that day is approaching...
I shoot and hunt and reload for myself and my teenage son. We do a lot of clay bird shooting, as well.

I study military history, mostly WWII with a minor interest in the US Civil War, Napoleonics and Ancient Greece and Rome. I also build armor models, mostly WWII with some modern stuff thrown in on ocassion.

I read sci-fi and study paleontology, mostly dinosaurs and primates. Lately, I have grown more interested in canine, feline and ursid paleontology.

Once retirement gets here and I have some more free time, I hope to return to veggie gardening, hiking and woodworking. I would like to get back into competitive handgunning, but I believe my eyesight would make that an exercise in futility. Still, I can see cowboy action shooting becoming a regular activity, if my health will allow it.

missionary5155
08-07-2011, 05:41 AM
Good morning
Rebuild pocket watches, keep my 1971 R75/5 running, bending recurves and paddle a kayak.
Mike in Peru

MBTcustom
08-07-2011, 08:15 AM
My life is a stream of hobbies that started when I found out I can make things and when I get tired of them I can shoot them.
8-10 woodcarving, air rifles and shotguns, hunting and trapping, knife throwing, spears, bows, camping, and gardening.
10-16 boolit casting, black-powder revolvers, making BP single shot pistols, blacksmithing, log cabin building, squirrel hunting and fishing.
16-20 knife-making, .22s, serious reloading and casting, trap shooting, dating:D, bow-hunting, target shooting, duck hunting, and trout fishing.
20-25 competition bow shooting, deer hunting, fly fishing, Muay Thai kick boxing, four wheelers, pistol shooting, bass fishing-bait casting reals, boating, and bible study.
25-present wood working/birdhouse building, leather carving and tooling, banjo playing/bluegrass music, gunsmithing, antique boat motor repair, trot-line fishing, inlaying/luthiery, marriage and child raising, recurve bow making, rifle building, paperpatching and
www.Castboolists.gunloads.com
That's the highlights. There where many more that I didn't take as far as I wish I had, and therefore, omitted them from the list, but these are the things that I have been successful at. I am hoping that when its time for me to have a midlife crisis, I wont be able to, because I have already done everything I wish I had.
Life is wonderful.

bowfin
08-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Boy, we really have an interesting group of people on this forum, and a lot of talent besides.

However, I am calling goodsteel out on listing "dating" as a hobby.:rolleyes:

That might make a good thread for humor and whimsical posts that should give and get a few laughs.

We can continue to explore "dating as a hobby" in the humor and offtopic forum as a thread.

Adam10mm
08-09-2011, 02:01 AM
Homebrewing beer.

trixter
08-10-2011, 02:50 PM
#1 Hobby is keeping a smile on my bride's (1966) face, #2 boolits; casting them reloading and shooting them in 45 ACP. A wonderful piece of machinery. #3 R/C trucks, for bashing and for the grandsons to bash too.

But most of all, just enjoying life.

colt 357
08-13-2011, 12:26 PM
My other hobbies is why I have to cast my own boolits. dune buggie, model railroading, RC boats and cars and collecting toy fire trucks. My wife claims that I haven't grown up yet. I say I refuse to stop playing with toys I 'd grow old and die. toys keeps me young. besides my 14 yr old love it.

byronw999
08-15-2011, 12:29 PM
What? There are other hobbies? I REALLY cant afford any more unless I hit the lottery!

Sides casting I collect any cool gun (which is why the safe door wont close without force) and fish when I have time and the most fun is playing with the 3 and 5 year old grand kids!

frykasj
08-18-2011, 01:07 AM
CQ DX DE VA6NAC...

However, I haven't been on the air for a while now, not since the atlas 210 gave out. Most of my exploits are done on the 2 meter band.

I still putter around with electronics from time to time, but mostly I'm either at the reloading bench or at the range when I'm not at work.

Rio Grande
08-18-2011, 01:34 AM
Man! I'm reading this and thinking about people who retire, sit in the arm chair, don't do a darn thing except watch TV and die in a year.
They say they miss their job and without it there's nothing to do. Sad.
That ain't likely to happen to you guys.

badbob454
08-18-2011, 02:26 AM
my other hobbies are hops growing , beer brewing, gardening , gold dredging, panning, and metal detecting, casting boolits reloading , collecting lead , shooting ,and the occasional rare hunting and .. oh is watching tv a hobby

Link23
08-18-2011, 09:06 PM
i make and sell custom knives....as well as metal detect. living in the south its fun to hit all of the civil war sites..(not parks i have a aunt that lives beside the national park of the Middle Creek Battle)

Gelandangan
08-18-2011, 09:19 PM
I am a nerd and I relish in my nerdy pursuit of programming, electronics circuit and PCB designs.

Besides the usual "manly pursuit" like going to the bush and chasing animal, and going to the city in the summer and look at young girls in short skirts..

TXGunNut
08-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Casting is my latest affliction. Fits in nicely with loading, shooting, hunting, camping. Most years I make sausage out of wild hogs and occasionally venison.
I also cook and bake including outdoor cooking. Have a collection of cast iron that damn near rquires a trailer on camping trips. Bet some of ya'll didn't know you could cook food in that heavy iron!
Used to do the LEO thing, was a bike cop and PPC shooter but those toys are all gathering dust and getting in the way these days. Still have a nice road bike and my ex-patrol bike but haven't thrown a leg over either in years.