PDA

View Full Version : Further Testing Following My Leading Incident

oldracer
07-15-2011, 03:40 PM
As noted, in an earlier post I had some lead build in the barrel about 10 inches from the muzzle and yesterday I decided to test a few things to see if the leading would reoccur, how many breaths I blew into the chamber mattered and finally if wiping between shots mattered with my guns. One was an original Rolling Block, the other an Italian Sharps. Both have 34 inch barrels and tang sights. I was using a set of cross sticks that were clamped to the front edge of the table.

1. The leading did not reoccur since I used some bullets with some extra lube at the case/bullet joint and they were fresh.

2. I tried 4 breaths (used to be 3) each shot and that seemed to help the powder stay soft a bit better and I also drank more water than usual too.

3. I shot several 10 shot strings both wiping between each shot and also wiping every 5 and there was no difference in "overall" grouping since it was a bit breezy.

One thing I did find was that I should wipe when a cease fire is called and I wanted to see if the 15 minute break would make accuracy drop off and it did! I had fired 4 shots and they were all touching at 100 yds. A cease fire was called so I did not wipe as I usually do. After going hot, the next 4 shots were 1.5 to 2 inches apart so I stopped and ran a brush through the bore and cleaned it out. The close group returned!

Very interesting indeed I think.

Black Prince
07-15-2011, 03:46 PM
You are doing the kind of perseverence and attention to detail it takes to work out a good loading/shooting/cleaning process for the best results. Sounds like you have the drill down very well and are on your way to being a sho-nuff shooter. Good on you and all the best to ya.

Chicken Thief
07-16-2011, 03:51 PM
A true proff of blowing enough is to just blow as when shooting just before pushing a cleaning patch through the barrel.

It does not matter whether i shoot 1 shot or 25 before the patch, my breathing/blowing will keep the fouling 100% moist, and leave a sparkling clean barrel with just 1 patch!

Oh and if you return efter a sease fire then blow double and your fowling will be soft as a baby's bum again.

RMulhern
07-16-2011, 07:27 PM
If you're operating in a situation whereby the Relative Humidity is down around 10-25%, with a temperature of 90F or better...you can huff and puff till ya butt hole pooches out but one patch....ain't gonna get the job done...as for removing fouling! Ask the guys that shoot out at Phoenix and up in the area around Wyoming, etc. and they'll confirm what I'm saying!!