PDA

View Full Version : Place to shoot near Houston?

fatelk
07-14-2011, 11:51 PM
A good friend of mine recently moved to Houston, Texas. I talked to him a couple days ago and he says everything is good, but he can't find a place to shoot, or at least that works for him.

He said the couple ranges he's checked are like $12 per gun (too much), and he's talked to a couple guys at work that have property but it's a couple hours away (too far).

He moved from Oregon, and I guess we're a bit spoiled here. He could shoot .22's with his kids from the back porch, there is plenty of public land in the hills a half hour away, and a nice range down the road for $100 per year unlimited use.

I figure he's just new to Houston and there must be something else in the area more reasonable, and this would be the place to ask. Any ideas?

I hope I put this in the right place. Please move if not.

felix
07-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Houston is an excellent gun town for Texas because there are reasonable ranges around for the asking. However, the hunting rights in Texas are by lease from the landowner. It has been that way for years. That concept along with the cost of land for the purpose close to town, the price must be paid. Houston is NOT a laid-back area. If fact, just the opposite. Very cosmopolitan. One good thing about the area that is constitutional to the hilt: NO ZONING. So be careful when buying property. ... felix

Down South
07-15-2011, 08:01 AM
I recently came to Houston myself. I was in the same dilemma, looking for a shooting range. I went to American Shooters and a couple more. American Shooters was the one your friend claimed to charge outrageous prices at then they charged you more if you decided if you wanted to shoot another gun. Plus it was very crowded there.
I settled on PSC Shooting over in Friendswood just south of Houston. There is an annual membership there. You have to attend one of their new members meetings when joining up and you have to register for the meeting. The range is NRA Sponsored and it is required that you belong to the NRA.
Once a member, there are no fees for shooting and you can bring as many guns as you like. You are allowed two guests and immediate family are all allowed.
Their annual membership fees "$150" are pro-rated so if you join after the renewal date, you only pay for what is left of the rest of the year.
They also have a lot of events on weekends that your friend may be interested in.

Overall the range is very nice with a wide variety of ranges to choose from. Click on the link below for all of the info about PSC.
http://www.psc-range.com/

There is a small fee if you want to shoot skeet or the 5-Stand. It's $4 a round which is very cheap.

high standard 40
07-15-2011, 08:08 AM
+1 on the PSC Range.

Armorer
07-15-2011, 09:12 AM
I used to shoot at Carter's Country on Treaschwig, but alot of the city dwellers shoot there and truth be told some of them scare me. No muzzle awareness, and little common sense. Now I shoot at a place on the north side closer to where I live. Thunder Gun Range off of 242 and FM 1314. They have been renovating it recently and making alot of improvements. I believe they are working on the 300 yd range right now. IDPA shoots there on Wed evenings and Sat mornings.

Armorer