PDA

View Full Version : Use of "Lead-Free" Solder in Boolits

Andy_P
01-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Any experience in using any of the "Lead-Free" solder as an aditive to pure lead or wheelweight? It is advertized as Tin and Copper with trace elements (99.3% tin, 0.7% copper and melts at 227°C). What (negative or positive) effect might the Copper have?

R.M.
01-10-2007, 12:28 PM
The composition of lead-free solders vary by manufacturer. I use it all the time in my mixes. The stuff I get is 95% tin, and 5% antimony. I have seen various other compositions, but so far I stuck to the one brand. Works for me. I can't see a little copper hurting much, but you'd have to try it and see, then report back. I'd like to hear about the results.

R.M.

imashooter2
01-10-2007, 12:28 PM
At the concentrations you get from adding a percent or 2 lead free solder to a pot of lead, no effect at all.

Leftoverdj
01-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Some is tin-silver. The minor element can be pretty much ignored. Lord only knows what's in the WW to start out with. Less than 5% of the less than 2% of solder I add ain't gonna make much differerence.

carpetman
01-10-2007, 03:31 PM
saw an ad for lead free solder but it was missleading--they charged for the lead.

NVcurmudgeon
01-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Andy, all the advice you have been given is accurate. If you ever want to know the exact composition of a solder, go to the maker's web site. I'm sure it's a legal reqirement that they have the MSDS of their products listed. Essentially, it's 95% tin and a whole lot of trifling amounts of other stuff that can be ignored. I find solder is cheapest at Lowe's. Home Creepo and the plumbing supply store charge more, and there isn't a real traditional hardware store in my area.

imashooter2
01-10-2007, 06:51 PM
-snip-
... and there isn't a real traditional hardware store in my area.

And isn't that a crying shame? The home centers are driving them out, but they just don't supply the same service.

hivoltfl
01-10-2007, 09:43 PM
i have been using it in all my casting, makes the cavities fill out real nice and the copper has not caused me any troubles at all.