PDA

View Full Version : Warning about free range brass

Jamesconn
07-14-2011, 02:48 AM
I was talking about reloading with my uncle and when I told him I was picking up brass from the range he said that wasnt a good idea he said there's no way to tell how many times they have been used and not to use the ones with a band around it
What is he talking about and when I'm sorting brass what deformities am I looking for?

Papa Jack
07-14-2011, 03:06 AM
If you look closely at the fired cases, just above the rim ( or base ) , you will see a shinny line around the case. Throw those cases into the Scrap Brass Bucket... Better yet, cut a case like this in half lengthwise, you will see the thinning of the brass.
As the case is fired and resized, it stretches. This stretching causes the brass to get thinner at the point mentioned ... Weaker and Weaker with each reloading.
At some point in time this case could rupture when fired.
I have been using range brass for 30 years or more, Yes, I cull out the bad ones, And I have not had any failures due to weak brass or over used cases.
I say keep picking up the FREE brass, BUT look at it closely and don't take any chances.
Any reloading manual has this info in it, good practice to pick up a copy and look thru it.

PJ

Chicken Thief
07-14-2011, 04:58 AM
Here's what to look for

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/R0010471.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/R0010472.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/R0010473.jpg

The bent paperclip lets you feel for the ridge if in doubt.

nicholst55
07-14-2011, 05:49 AM
Good advice so far; I also have been using range brass for many, may years. I also sort out the ones that were obviously hot loads; look for extremely flattened primers, pierced primers, split case necks, and badly tarnished or discolored brass.

Pierced primers are depicted in post #9; Pierced Primers (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=120899).

Lloyd Smale
07-14-2011, 06:48 AM
alot of time when a round is fired and extracted the extractor will put a small indentation or scratch on the rim of the case. look to see if there are a bunch of these or if the rim is smooth. Its surely not a definate answer but something else to look at. Bottom line is i dont pick up range brass unless im at a range that i known that no one else handloads or if i am actually there when the guys shooting and can ask him if i can have his brass and if its once fired. Only exception is something like .223 military brass. If theres a bunch there i will take it and knock out a primer in a couple of them and see if the primer crimp is still there. If it is the brass is once fired. The rest of the brass i pick up goes in a bucket for the scrap yard. I sell in and take the money and buy new brass.

btroj
07-14-2011, 07:43 AM
I am like Lloyd, I pick it up for scrap. I don't look at them as cases to use, I view them as money.

milprileb
07-14-2011, 07:44 AM
I have been picking up 40 S&W range brass for the last 3 yrs. Don't own a 40S&W but brass was everywhere and my gut told me it was good trading material. Ran into a recycle vendor and he bought it all, gave me 80# of pure lead and 14 bucks back.

So, bending down and picking up range brass is not a useless drill if you are a bullet caster.

GARCIA
07-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Picked up some 45 acp range brass the other day. Tumbled them to clean them up before running through a carbide die. Was going to load them till I found this one on the right. All of it went into the scrap bucket!!

Looks as if someone was not happy with the flash hole size!!!

Tom

Chicken Thief
07-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Altered for glueboolits?
Stupid for full house loads.

ErikO
07-14-2011, 09:54 AM
The indoor range I shoot at has a lack of reloaders when I'm there. I've run into two folks so far that roll their own, the rest are happy to give me their 1x's. :)

3006guns
07-14-2011, 09:56 AM
There's really nothing wrong with using range brass IF YOU EXAMINE IT CAREFULLY. Look for the obvious defects mentioned above and do one final check:

Straighten an ordinary paper clip, then bend one end at 90 degrees for about 1/8". Hold the case in one hand and lower the bent end of the paper clip to the bottom, then carefully (and lightly) drag it back out. Do this in several places around the inside of the case. You are feeling for an internal "groove" where the brass is thinner due to separation. Most cases will be fine, but if you're unsure TOSS THE CASE. All of this applies to bottleneck rifle cases and you'll be suprised at how many good cases are tossed away by "drug store ammo" shooters.

This is actually a pretty good test for incipient separation (incipient: "she's gonna go anytime now!"). That bright ring mentioned above should alert you to the need for this test.....or just toss the case to be safe.

Most brass that I've picked up and examined prooved to be perfectly fine, especially for the lower pressures of our cast boolit loads but I always keep them segregated from my jacket bullet brass.

Doby45
07-14-2011, 09:59 AM
I reload the hell out of some range brass. This is all pistol brass as the range I go to is indoors and rifles are not allowed. Once I get out into the country with some property it will be outdoor shooting only. WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO.

tomme boy
07-14-2011, 10:36 AM
All of my pistol brass is range brass. I use it. everyone I know uses it. We ALL look down on people that scrap good brass for money. Trade it to a reloaded or sell it to a reloader. Once it is scrap it is gone.

MBTcustom
07-14-2011, 10:55 AM
The way I see it, If a reloader goes to the range, He picks up all of his brass irregardless. Second, brass that has been reloaded has a dull look to it. It no longer has that fresh, once cycled, look to it.
Third, every case that has ever ruptured on me, has failed on the side of the case, not the head.
I guess what I'm saying is, it dont take a rocket scientist to spot fresh brass, and if you don't pick it up because you are superstitious about the unknown, and you have a habit of thinking that your gun is out to blow you up, just let me know where you shoot. I, and a lot of other practical shooters, will be happy to come and clear the range of this "dangerous stuff":-D.

fredj338
07-14-2011, 11:10 AM
As gooodsteel notes, it's not diff to look a a fired case & tell if it's been fired more than once. If it looks suspect leave it or toss it. I routinely pickup range brass for reloading, have all my shooting life. I don't think I have bought a 9mm case in 25yrs, 40 cases in the last 15yrs. My rifle brass I tend to buy new. Pressures run much higher & my rifles cost quite a bit more than most of my handguns.

sargenv
07-14-2011, 11:15 AM
I see range brass not as so much something to reload.. but as a possible source of swaging material when it comes to that... 223 brass all dinged up? set that aside for the day when I have swage dies for the 338 bullets that BT has shown can be made from 223 brass... 9 mm major brass? Into the 9 into 40 cal bullets swage die.. Most everything can likely be turned into something else.. as BT has shown.. :)

UtopiaTexasG19
07-14-2011, 11:16 AM
I hear free range brass has less cholesterol...

W.R.Buchanan
07-14-2011, 12:22 PM
I use range exclusively for my auto pistol loads and I also reuse rifle brass after inspection.

The only problems I have ever seen with any recycled brass is with some of the older .40 S&W Federal brass marked FC which was really weak. I have not seen any issues with any other brand of .40S&W brass, and have not seen any issues with any other KIND of brass at all.

You need to look at every one, just like you should with all cases you reload.

By the way what do you think all of those brass recyclers are doing with the brass they pick up? Ya think they might reload some of it?

Also you don't need to bend over to pick up brass,,, all you need is the Ammo Wizard ,,,, available from Dillon or ammowizard.com. This thing works very well.

Randy

MBTcustom
07-14-2011, 12:42 PM
I don't think I have bought a 9mm case in 25yrs, 40 cases in the last 15yrs.
You know, I never really thought about it but I don't think I have ever bought a box of .45ACP or .38 or .357mag. Except for a box of hydra-shocks, that is. I always get turned off by the sticker on the box, (and that was before Obama!) Its hard to shell out 25 dollars for FMJ factory cartridges, (I have no idea what they are going for now) when I can cast my own boolits and shoot any of these for less than the cost of .22 long rifle ammo.

3006guns
07-14-2011, 12:48 PM
I hear free range brass has less cholesterol...

LOL! Not only that, it's "experienced"!

A comment on my ealier posting...I usually leave nickled brass where it lays. The plating seems to make them brittle and more suceptible to cracking. I might pick it up if I think it may be of some use to someone, but I prefer plain brass.

Huntducks
07-14-2011, 01:00 PM
All of my pistol brass is range brass. I use it. everyone I know uses it. We ALL look down on people that scrap good brass for money. Trade it to a reloaded or sell it to a reloader. Once it is scrap it is gone.

I'm with you.

I have been picking up brass and hulls for 50+ years if you can't tell if it's 1x or well used leave it for me.

90% of the time primers our a dead give away other is FL sizing ring and color of brass.

I have zip lock bags of brass that I don't own a gun for, and on the other hand I bought a 220 swift just because I had about 300rds of found brass.

grullaguy
07-14-2011, 01:06 PM
I have been shooting 9mm for over 30 years. Now I think about it I have never bought any 9mm ammo.
I was given ammo now and then and reloaded in between.

tomme boy
07-14-2011, 04:21 PM
For the guys that are using it to make into bullets, I think that is great. The bullets are still being used by a person that reloads.

We have a couple of guys that go to our public range that pick up the brass, alum, and steel everything. They take it to the scrap yards for money. I have talked to all of them. None, of these guys even own a firearm. They are there for the money.

I have asked them since they are on a DNR maintained range if they had a hunting or fishing liscence? Their response was why would I need one, this is a public range.

They just don't get it??????

Texasflyboy
07-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Looks as if someone was not happy with the flash hole size!!! Tom

The larger flash hole is standard on Winchester Brass (45ACP) for their Non Toxic Lead Free Primer's.

I've seen them also use the same brass with the standard primer.

I've used the large flash hole and the normal size flash hole brass since the 90's. No problems.

It's normal.

fredj338
07-14-2011, 04:41 PM
I you reload.

By the way what do you think all of those brass recyclers are doing with the brass they pick up? Ya think they might reload some of it?

Randy
The local club I shoot IDPA at has so much brass on it you are walking over it to get to the stage. The guy that runs the matches says some local boy scouts come in every month & pick it up & sell it for scrap. Waste of good brass if you ask me. I try to always get at least the 150 or so rounds I shoot every month. After hearing they sell it for scrap, I am picking up even more, it's 45acp after all, not cheap.

Phat Man Mike
07-14-2011, 05:26 PM
at our local club we have a few that roll their own! I try and pick up any that's not spoke for! I cull my brass and shoot it and reuse all that I can. :)

bobthenailer
07-14-2011, 07:00 PM
I have alot more range brass than ive ever bought new but they are never used for full loads in handguns for rifles i only buy new brass as its loaded to full power every time .

bumpo628
07-14-2011, 09:45 PM
I use all the pistol brass I pick up. If there's a cracked case in the pile, you'll hear it when shaking the brass to remove the tumbler media. I also load single stage with a turret press, so I handle the cases several times before a round is produced. If I feel a loose primer pocket, then that gets picked out too.

Rifle brass is a slightly different story. You really have to inspect it a lot closer. Do the paper clip test as well as the other tips listed above.

XWrench3
07-15-2011, 09:11 AM
the key word in free range brass is FREE! you have to expect some scrap with anything that is free. as far as i am concerned, i will pick up any brass that is free. if it is scrap, i have a bucket for that. and i will eventually turn it in and get some money for it. the rest i get to play with at NO COST.

dverna
07-15-2011, 01:51 PM
goodsteel,

You need to find a better source for .22 LR. Or maybe I need to get my reloading costs down.

Don

rototerrier
07-15-2011, 02:34 PM
You guys are lucky to be able to even pick up your brass. My indoor range has a big sign that says: PLEASE SWEEP ALL BRASS OUT FRONT BEFORE LEAVING.

By the time I go to pick up my spent brass, the guy next to me has already swept mine and everyone else's brass out into the line of fire were it is no longer retrievable.

The range then sells this brass to Atlanta Arms where they reload it and sell reloads back to the range where they sell it back to everyone for 12-14 a box!!

Drives me nuts when I see 100 rounds of my 9mm I just fired jingling it's way out front where I can't reclaim it.

If it's a busy day, I pretty much have to shoot 10-15 round and immediately hunt them down before someone sweeps them away on me.

higgins
07-15-2011, 03:23 PM
The .45acp cases in GARCIA's post could be Winchester's WinClean brass. It had (has?) oversize flash holes, but it would be hard to know if that is the case without having an unaltered WinClean case for a side-by-side comparison. Winchester said their WinClean cases were OK to load with otherwise safe loads, and I've loaded them with no obvious problems, and I've picked up a lot of them that had been reloaded. I can't provide an approximate measurement of WinClean flash hole diameter, but Winchester might.

Shiloh
07-15-2011, 09:14 PM
If you find clean looking brass with empty ammo boxes in the trash, it is a safe bet it is once fired. Good advice has already been given. Look your scrounged brass over and inspect.

Can't recall ever have any problems with inspected range pickup. When in doubt, the scrap bucket.

Shiloh

sirgknight
07-15-2011, 09:48 PM
I've been using range brass in 9mm, 38 and 45acp for many years. I can't see as good now as I could when I was younger so I tumble all range brass so that I more easily recognize the "not so obvious" minute imperfections. Sometimes it's very difficult to see little hair-line cracks in the brass. As long as you know what to look for you will get a lot of great use from range brass.:bigsmyl2:

klcarroll
07-15-2011, 10:06 PM
I have to side with Goodsteel and 3006!

Just open up a can of "Common Sense" and apply liberally! .....ANY brass you are about reload should be inspected! .....No matter where it came from!

The only factory-loaded ammo I have bought in the last 30 years is .22 Rimfire!

Kent