PDA

View Full Version : Seating cast bullet

Taylor
01-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Good morning all. Thought I would post a question before going to work.Rifle-M70 Winchester,30.06. Bullet- Lee 180 rn gc. Lee's book say's to seat boolet to3.015.This put's it down below the case neck,other info say's never to seat a cast boolet below the case neck. By seating to 3.075 it keeps it inline with the case neck,but engages the rifling.Boolet show's about a 1/4 inch or less mark.I am getting 1/4 inch shot groups with this,but am not done looking for the right load. They cycle fine. the boolet doesn't separate from the case ,it just feel's good.Any input,or years of experience anyone would like to share? Do I actually have an issue?

Wayne Smith
01-10-2007, 08:37 AM
No issue unless you are using the old Lyman gas checks that might fall off. Using Hornaday or Gator checks that clamp on you have no problem.

By "I am getting 1/4" shot groups with this" do you mean your groups are within 1/4" of center, or 1/4" of each other, basically just one ragged hole? At what range, may I ask, and if over 50yds, why look for a more 'right' load unless they are real slow?

Newtire
01-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Good morning all. Thought I would post a question before going to work.Rifle-M70 Winchester,30.06. Bullet- Lee 180 rn gc. Lee's book say's to seat boolet to3.015.This put's it down below the case neck,other info say's never to seat a cast boolet below the case neck. By seating to 3.075 it keeps it inline with the case neck,but engages the rifling.Boolet show's about a 1/4 inch or less mark.I am getting 1/4 inch shot groups with this,but am not done looking for the right load. They cycle fine. the boolet doesn't separate from the case ,it just feel's good.Any input,or years of experience anyone would like to share? Do I actually have an issue?

Hi Taylor,
I have a M70 (Sears 53) and it likes cast just fine. Seated so they engrave the rifling and don't separate on ejection & all that too. Sounds like you have the perfect combination. Just stay away from those Lyman checks if you seat below the neck of course. I prefer not to seat below the neck but in the Ackley .30-30 I have, I do it all the time and am still getting great groups (great for me that is).

sundog
01-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Quarter inch groups? Wow. How many rounds and what range? Sights? What's the load? sundog

Bass Ackward
01-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Personally, I engrave everything. If you need to extract and eject, then paint on some LLA with a Qtip and they will come right back out.

felix
01-10-2007, 10:49 AM
I hope we are talking 1/4 inch groups, even at 50 yards. That would be a fantastic deal with such a gun! ... felix

Taylor
01-10-2007, 05:48 PM
I must first apoligize for false info,the 1/4 inch group was with a 170 gr boolet at 50 yards. Varget ( that is what I have),34gr-1/4",35gr-36gr-1/2",37gr-39gr back to 1/4".The 180 gr boolet with 40gr-1/2",41-3",42-4",43-2",these are at 50 yards,have not made it to 100 yds yet.First I want to see what happens when I fill in all the spaces(35-40.5).Hey it gives me something to do.This is a great rifle,and I know it is very capable of producing some good range time,it would make me look good in front of my son's(both 15yr,no they are not).I was just concerned about the engraving part.Crimp on gas checks and 5 rounds groups,home made lube,and not sure what the formula is.I forgot.