PDA

View Full Version : Saeco Lead pot

e15cap
01-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Got an ancient saeco lead pot and I think the element is burned out. Anyone replaced one of these or should I just pitch it. Roger

Yance
01-10-2007, 01:51 AM
Roger;

Contact Redding/SAECO about repairing you old pot. I don't think their design has changed much over the years. Those SAECO pots are WAY too nice to throw away.

454PB
01-10-2007, 01:53 AM
Have you used an ohmeter to determine the element has failed? Could be as simple as a bad connection.

e15cap
01-10-2007, 09:38 AM
I did a continuety check and everything was so rusty that I decided to clean up all the connections. You guessed it - snapped off one of the lugs on the element. Will all this morning. Thanx Roger

Jon K
01-10-2007, 10:46 AM
e15cap,

Which Saeco pot do you have?, I did some reasearch on this as I have a 10# & 20# pot. the 10# had one of the contacts break off, got damaged when I moved.

You can send it to repair, call Lyman or Redding, I believve the guy is in KY, Kiln Repair, as I recall. You can also use the thermostat, leads, knob from a Lee Pro 4/20. Wattage & Amps are close and should work.

If you need a heating element, send it to Kiln Repair.

Hope this helps,
Jon
:castmine:

e15cap
01-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanx for the help guys. Called Kiln repair in MO. and the price is $75 plus shipping both ways. He did tell me to take the lead out to save shipping costs. Hmmmmm - think I will save up a little longer and get a Waage.
Thanx Roger

lurch
01-11-2007, 12:11 PM
If you are feeling brave and have the technical ability (not trying to insult, just making sure that you don't get into trouble on my suggestion...), McMaster-Carr has flexible heating elements that you could possibly use to replace your element. Several wattages and lenghts are available. If you are interested I can send/post the link.

The bend around the spout might prove touchy to do given that you have to observe a minimum bend radius on these elements. I have not done it, but am seriously considering getting one to replace the broken element in an old Lyman 10# pot (looks suspiciously like the old Saeco's - same manufacturer...?) that was given to me. Cost is not exactly cheap at about $36 + shipping if I remember correctly.