PDA

View Full Version : Monday the 18th = hell day

Boz330
07-12-2011, 03:34 PM
The Friendly Aviation Administration called a few minutes ago wanting to do an inspection this week. I told him I was booked up all week already (getting ready for the inspection) so he wanted to start first thing Monday morning. I hate these things because they never quit looking till they find something to gig you on, no matter how good you are. The problem is thinking of something minor and new that they haven't gotten you on before so they can find it easy and leave happy.
There motto is "we aren't happy till your not happy". Hopefully it will be hotter than hell Monday because the shop isn't air conditioned, which might speed things up a little.

Bob

Finster101
07-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Make sure the shop fans are missing or broken too.

sundog
07-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Boz, I've heard some horror stories. Did you know that Oklahoma's own Senator Inhoffe is trying for some relief? See this news story (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/07/10/sen-inhofe-strikes-back-at-faa-after-runway-run-in/).

wallenba
07-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Do you have any idea about any AD's due? Poke prod and snoop.

Boz330
07-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Sundog, that may help me if I screw up flying but I own and operate a repair station which is a little different. This is sort of like the IG Inspections we use to dread in the Army, but most of those guys were a little easier to deal with or at least I had pretty good luck with them.

This is a new inspector to me, my old one is now the head honcho in maintenance. I have a pretty good reputation with the FSDO since they have never had any complaints against me. You sure don't want to get on the other list because they can just bug you to death. Another facility here locally who was my competitor got on the wrong side of things and got caught in a lie to boot. They stopped to inspect him every time they drove near the place. He finally handed in his certificates and got out of the business.

I'm pretty sure I'll get through it OK but it is always something new when you get a new inspector, they never seem to like the way the old guy did things, although he is the boss man now.:bigsmyl2: I just have a bunch of reading and checking manuals for the next couple days to make sure every thing is Kosher.

Bob

shooter93
07-12-2011, 06:27 PM
For what it's worth, be glad you don't deal with code enforcement on a daily basis...lol.

Boz330
07-13-2011, 07:56 AM
For what it's worth, be glad you don't deal with code enforcement on a daily basis...lol.

You got me there! All bureaucrats have there little fiefdoms and rule them like they are Napoleon. I had one run in with planning and zoning over a range on my farm 3 years ago and that was enough for me, makes you wish you lived out west.

Bob

Echo
07-13-2011, 09:22 AM
On the other hand, the 18th is my birthday! I'll be 38.

(I only count every other year...)

wallenba
07-13-2011, 10:20 AM
Scarier than I thought, I figured you were only facing an annual inspection on your plane at first. Good luck .

fecmech
07-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Good luck with the inspection, I understand your apprehension. We had the FAA inspectors check us 3 or 4 times a year at work and it always makes you nervous. Our first indication they were there was when the aircraft arrived they would meet it and check crew licenses. Until we went to CD's and Online manuals the paper manuals were where we worried the most about current revisions and getting gigged. The fellows we had in the Buffalo NY area were reasonable and not "chickens--t" so as long as the parts room was ok and no "shelf life" items out of date we were good to go.

Kraschenbirn
07-14-2011, 07:19 PM
While I haven't been a "practicing" A&P for quite a few years, I know exactly what you're talking about. I used to work, part-time, for a small flying club and if it wasn't the FAA looking over our shoulder, it was the state Bureau of Aeronautics. (Yeah, such an animal really exists in Illinois.)

Actually, though, I'm going to get a similar treatment about the same time. I've got a colonoscopy scheduled for 8AM on the 18th.

Good luck with the Feds

Bill

Boz330
07-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Actually, though, I'm going to get a similar treatment about the same time. I've got a colonoscopy scheduled for 8AM on the 18th.

Good luck with the Feds

Bill

ROTFLMAO, I have often referred to these inspections in those exact terms. And my other favorite is "that if they crawl up your butt with a microscope they will find some unpleasant stuff".

Bob

Boz330
07-18-2011, 03:04 PM
[smilie=w:[smilie=w:[smilie=w::mrgreen::bigsmyl2:

Passed, turned out easier that I expected. Nothing like over preparation except there is no such animal when dealing with the Feds.

Bob

Bad Water Bill
07-18-2011, 03:31 PM
CONGRATULATIONS [smilie=p:[smilie=p:[smilie=w:

NoZombies
07-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Congrats! :)

Kraschenbirn
07-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Good Show!! Always warms my heart to see any Feds walk away from anywhere with an unopened pad of blank citatation forms.

Bill

9.3X62AL
07-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Good on ya, Boz! Of course, a squared-away operation kinda puts the wonks on their back foot right from the git-go.

jsizemore
07-18-2011, 06:14 PM
I deal with inspections on new houses and loan inspections on older homes. I always tell the present or future home owner to leave something for the inspector to find cuz' that's their job. Leave something you expected to repair anyway that's an easy fix and won't hold up the sale. Works every time. I had one house that was so good that I put some wood shavings in the crawlspace so the inspector could complain about organic material on the ground.