PDA

View Full Version : Browning .22 Auto

tonyjones
07-12-2011, 12:31 PM
For something like 50 years I've had the desire for an FN Browning .22 Auto. Lately I've been thinking more and more about scratching that itch. I assume that several members here own or have owned one. What are your thoughts concerning this rifle? I welcome all comments but I'm especially interested in your comments regarding accuracy, reliability, aestetics, etc. In particular, what are your thoughts regarding the factory trigger? Can it be tuned to 2-2.5# without take-up or overtravel?

Thanks and regards,

Tony

Artful
07-12-2011, 01:18 PM
I have shot two examples owned by others - both shot well in my experence (not scoped and not from a rest) only issue I had was brass going into the crook of my elbow of support arm.

You might try
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/browning-autoloading-takedown-22-rifle-history

http://www.gundigest.com/gunsmithing-articles/research_ruger10-22 - note browning fitted with Win 52 barrel

oneokie
07-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Good accuracy, good reliability if kept clean, sleek looks, IMO, more suited for small statured people, youth, women.

Mk42gunner
07-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Very neat little guns. I have shot a few of them, the only thing to watch out for is a loose cuff on your supporting hand. A hot case doesn't feel very good stuck inside your sleeve in the middle of winter.

Decent accuracy on the ones I shot, (we were rabbit hunting), and I don't remember any malfunctions at all.

I wouldn't mind having one.

Robert

10 ga
07-12-2011, 08:09 PM
I have one that's a safe queen but she's coming out this fall to earn her keep. I'm keeping an eye out for info here. Heard that they like CCI standard vel ammo. Light, short, easy to carry, good for an OLD man. HA ha, 10 ga

NickSS
07-12-2011, 08:22 PM
I had one years ago but felt that it was too nice to take hunting so ended up selling it and buying a Marlin model 70 that i used for the next 30 years with complete satisfaction. By the way I sold the Browning and with the proceeds bought the Marlin and 4 cases (20,000) rounds with the proceeds from it.

shotman
07-12-2011, 10:07 PM
you will find out very fast it a safe queen . they are a pain if you want to bench shoot . bottom eject sucks. . If you like the stock loading deal find an old win 74

BruceB
07-12-2011, 11:06 PM
"...safe queen"(only if WE allow it)

"bottom eject sucks"(so wear a shirt)

"too nice to take hunting..." (there is no such thing) My Browning .22 rifle is a hand-engraved Grade II model, and it's had some hard knocks in at-home incidents (like, falling off a wall onto a machine-gun sitting below it on the floor). Ouch. No such disasters in hunting, though.

Yep, too bad that all these drawbacks made it such a flash-in-the-pan.... SINCE1914! Hmmm, only 97 years, so it's no surprise that these shortcomings have yet to be noticed. This is one of John Browning's original designs, and the individual rifles are EXTREMELY reliable and long-lived. Many fired millions of rounds EACH in shooting galleries of the 20th century.

The elegance of the design is typical of the simple, tough and ARTISTIC firearms that came from the genius of this designer. "Too nice to take hunting..." good Heavens, what do you DO to your hunting firearms? My Berettas, Brownings, etc etc do get taken into the field (and the blind, the canoe, the bushplane etc etc.)...and they don't seem to mind a bit. I buy them for the pleasure they provide, and I treat them with due care. There is some wear on them after a few decades of use, but nothing that screams abuse or mis-use.

This .22 is a unique and effective rifle, and its take-down design places it in a category with very few competitors...and NONE with the quality and beauty of the little Browning.

giz189
07-13-2011, 02:37 AM
Bruce, I have had a dozen of those little rifles over the years, only got about 3 now though. I favor the 'short only model'. They are beautiful little guns and well made too. Only problem I have ever had was not keeping the action clean. It gets dirtier than a road ditch in August. However they are exceptionally easy to disassemble and clean. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to buy another one. Try it, you'll like it.

gmsharps
07-13-2011, 02:55 AM
I have a Grade II which is a beautiful rifle. I have shot a pile of rabbits with it when I was stationed in Germany. I used to get in trouble with my company commander because I hung the rifle above my desk. I kept pointing out the letter from the local forestmeister and the community commander assigning me the wildlife management NCO for my Kaserne. The rifle shoots great and never had a malfunction unless I caught the palm of my hand in the action when firing. Have to remember to use the forearm instead of a more steady position of the palm of the hand just in front of the triggerguard. It breaks down into a really convienient package when need be. I still have this rifle and look forward to getting to use it again in a couple of years when I get out of the sand box.

GM

tonyjones
07-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the comments. I would still like to know your thoughts/experiences concerning accuracy and the trigger. I spent some time browsing these rifles at gunsamerica.com. There are quite a few listed for sale there: Grade 1 Japanese to Grade III FN from $300 to nearly $5,000. Some of them are simply stunning! I may just have to attend the next Houston Gun Collector's Association Show.

BruceB,

I agree. Fine arms are meant to be used. I'm part of a group that takes their Purdeys to Argentina every year to shoot pidgeon. However, I'm the Philistine in the group because I take a Perazzi.

Regards,

Tony

Artful
07-14-2011, 01:29 AM
I saw two in Tucson at Murphy's, one Belgium and one japanese. Either one $350. I was so tempted and should not have brought my wife in with me. :(
What accuracy on paper can those rifles shoot?
Is Belgium made more accurate the japan made?

Did you have to share :-?

calaloo
07-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Tony. Many years I traded into one of these fine rifles. The first time I shot it (on the way home) it spat two hot casings into the palm of my hand. Before I got home I spotted a crow in the top of a tree at least 100 yards off the road. At least far enough away so that it didn't fly when I stopped and got out. I leveled off at him from the top of the car, never dreaming that the shot would connect but it did. I loved that little rifle but traded it away for something else. I now own one of the early models which has a different stock attachment method and a different rear sight than the current models. It is equipped with the special Redfield scope which was made for this rifle.

I can't tell you what the exact weight of the trigger, but it is light and I have never given it a thought. Drawbacks-- Be careful where you hold the front of the rifle. It gets dirty but is very easy to take down to clean. There is a small part in the receiver which will fall out when the bolt is removed.

I too would like to have a short only model. I would almost guarantee you would be delighted to own and use one.

tonyjones
07-24-2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks! Can anyone tell me if these triggers have much take-up or creep?

Regards,

Tony

calaloo
07-25-2011, 09:45 AM
They do have some take-up but mine breaks cleanly.

BruceB
07-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Correct.

It's not a "target" rifle, and it's not a "target" trigger...but it IS a very usable and effective one. It's good enough that I've never tried 'adjusting' it

I just went and tested mine; it has a short, smooth take-up, breaks cleanly at 2.5 pounds, and has a short over-travel which affects nothing in my shooting. This is not the "glass rod" break of legend, but it's very good. Considering the rifle's designed role of a light, compact plinker and small-game rifle, the trigger is quite suitable for the tasks.

John Browning truly knew what he was doing.

tonyjones
07-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks guys,

You're answers are exactly what I was looking for. I see a Grade II or III as a REALLY COOL plinking and woods bumming rifle. I have a Cooper 57M GBF Special that is gorgeous, has a delightful trigger and shoots 5 shot, 50 yard, sub .2" groups (indoor range with Leupold 36x). The problem is that the Cooper likes ammo that costs $18-$20 per box and it's just not as handy as the Browning. I agree, JMB KNEW what he was doing.

Best regards,

Tony

Wayne Smith
07-25-2011, 05:41 PM
I just wish they put a longer stock on it. I'm 6'2" and wear a 36" shirt sleeve.

exile
07-25-2011, 05:58 PM
I say this carefully, because I only shot one once, but I out-shot my brother-in-law's Browning .22 with my stock Ruger 10-22. As I recall, the Browning seemed to shoot better once the barrel warmed up a bit, whereas the Ruger did not have that issue.

And he is a much better shot than I am.

exile