PDA

View Full Version : Pretty excited-good 45 load

Cloudpeak
01-09-2007, 08:39 PM
I went out with my first batch of test loads with different weights of Clays powder and the Lee 452-200-SWC bullets out of my new 6 cavity mold. I sure hope the results are repeatable. I have my doubts because groups opened up .1 of a grain on either side of these good loads. The 3.5 grain load was a soft shooter but the 1911 SA Loaded cycled just fine. I shot from 48 feet off a bench. Cloudpeak
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/WyoBob/Targets/DSCN1327.jpg

trickyasafox
01-09-2007, 10:07 PM
wow! nice shooting!

35remington
01-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Yes, I agree, very good groups, nothing to complain about there.

I'd do several range sessions and a number of groups before concluding that .1 grain variations in powder charge materially affect accuracy. Most likely what you saw was the luck of the draw, or maybe the d.t.'s from trying too hard. Most autoloaders aren't capable of distinguishing such fine variations in charges.

At least mine aren't, and I've got a few shooters too.

Cloudpeak
01-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Y

Most likely what you saw was the luck of the draw, or maybe the d.t.'s from trying too hard. Most autoloaders aren't capable of distinguishing such fine variations in charges.

DT's. That's a good one. Usually my groups go to pot when I see a nice 4 shot hole. I get excited and pull the fifth shot:-D

Cloud

Cloudpeak
01-09-2007, 10:39 PM
wow! nice shooting!

I sure hope so. I'm worried it's just dumb luck. Bad weather moving in so it will be awhile before I can shoot some more. I sure hope this light load works out. Them young whipper snappers at our steel shooting club better watch out then!

Cloudpeak

Ricochet
01-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Yeah, that's good shooting, all right! :Fire:

Uncle Grinch
01-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Excellent group cloudpeak... makes me envious (sp?)

Ron in PA
01-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Cloudpeak, Good shooting!!!! What brass were you using? Ron

Cloudpeak
01-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Cloudpeak, Good shooting!!!! What brass were you using? Ron
This will be a let down. Mixed brass: 1/2 WWB, 1/2 Range pickup & stuff given to me by friends. I don't sort the brass. Just tumble (with fired primers in) and load.

Cloudpeak (Bob)

44man
01-10-2007, 11:54 AM
I don't know!!!! 48 feet is only 16 yd's. Seems awful close to find out what a load will do. How about taking that out to 25 or 30 yd's? I have shot some groups like that with a friends Dan Wesson .45 factory pistol at 50 yd's. A 1911 I built up for another friend will do that all day at 30 yd's. Your boolit has not deviated from the bore line at 16 yd's yet so how do you know what it really does?
I watched a Marine at Quantico shoot a .45 offhand at 200 meters and hit every single silhouette. He could not knock them down but I watched through a spotting scope and could not believe the grouping. We shoot .45's at 100 yd's all the time.

Beau Cassidy
01-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Clays is my #1 .45 ACP powder. I use 3.6 grains with a 170 Gr bullet and 3.4 grains with the 200 gr. bullet in my scoped .45. Both with 11 lb. springs. I also use 2.9 grains with the 200 Gr. bullet on an unscoped gun for my 25 yard load in bullseye timed and rapid fire. Talk about accurate!. It is also with an 11 lb. spring.

Cloudpeak
01-10-2007, 01:43 PM
I don't know!!!! 48 feet is only 16 yd's. Seems awful close to find out what a load will do. How about taking that out to 25 or 30 yd's? I have shot some groups like that with a friends Dan Wesson .45 factory pistol at 50 yd's. A 1911 I built up for another friend will do that all day at 30 yd's. Your boolit has not deviated from the bore line at 16 yd's yet so how do you know what it really does?
I watched a Marine at Quantico shoot a .45 offhand at 200 meters and hit every single silhouette. He could not knock them down but I watched through a spotting scope and could not believe the grouping. We shoot .45's at 100 yd's all the time.

I know the group would suck for you but, for me, it was a pretty good group.

I've got a Ruger 44 flat top that I've owned for 38 years. I've shot several deer with it (all one shot kills) and many coyotes and badgers on my ranch. But, this was 15-30 years ago when my eyes were better (I've worn bifocals since age 10). I don't shoot it anymore because I no longer hunt and I really can't focus on the sights very well.

So, I'll stumble along the road of life somewhat content to shoot average groups but will probably daydream on occasion of being a shooting super star.

Cloudpeak

44man
01-10-2007, 02:08 PM
I understand, my eyes suck too. But with my glasses I manage longer ranges even though the sights look like fuzz. I think it is all the home made beer I drink!! I am making stout as I type this. I think you can move out a little so you can see what the boolit really can do. Don't sell yourself short, we all get there. I am 69.
As you know, I am a stickler for shooting farther, mostly with hunting guns and the .45 ACP is a wonderful plaything and will do very well. I would move to 25 yd's to see if the boolit and load will really work for you. I am not down on you because I am where you are with vision. But let's give the boolit and load a chance. I would really like to see how you do. This is where you will really see if a small difference in the charge effects the group. I don't think it will, I think you see like me. I am not being mean, just practicle.

targetshootr
01-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Oh goody. I have a 4 lb jug of Clays I bought thinking it was Universal and now I know what to do with it and the group buy 45 molds.

Nice shooting.