PDA

View Full Version : Taurus c45 pump acction

Zoranno
07-11-2011, 08:24 PM
G'day all

Has anyone had any experience with the Taurus model C45 pump action copy of the colt lightning?
Are they any good? doesn't matter what caliber

Thanks
Regards, Jason

ReloaderFred
07-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Welcome, Zoranno.

I have one of the stainless steet Taurus pump guns in .357 Magnum. It's for sale........

Hope this helps.

Fred

Four Fingers of Death
07-12-2011, 06:08 AM
Welcome, Zoranno.

I have one of the stainless steet Taurus pump guns in .357 Magnum. It's for sale........

Hope this helps.

Fred

Hows the 357 feed? I reckon they'd go well in 44/40 or 38/40. My mate had one (45Colt) and it would only feed if you cranked it hard. He didn't like doing that and insisted on cycling it slowly and carefully and it jammed more often than not. He wouldn't be told, so I left him to it and he sold it shortly afterwards. I cranked it through through two lots of ten, it hickupped once one the second stroke, then I woke up and put a bit of vigour into it and the rest ran through ok.

I'd want to try a mag full to see if it cycles ok before I bought it.

John Boy
07-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Jason, out of the box, the Taurus C45 rifle was about a 70% functioning rifle for these reasons:
* Taurus Brazil did not do a proper re-engineering of the original Colt Lightning
* Owners don't know how to shoot a pump rifle
That said, there is only one person in the US that has started a personal campaign to make the rifle shoot properly. And if Taurus had him on the payroll when they were designing the C45 before they started shipping them, the rifle would be selling like gang busters ... instead of being discontinued
* Here is what the rifle will do after the mods are made to the rifle ...
http://www.youtube.com/user/HarryJeffcoat#g/u

Ok, turn the clock back:
* I bought one when they first came out. Here is the Saga of My Rifle ...
http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=1436.0;highlight=saga
* I got it to work - 95% of the time

After the mods were done by Dallas, I took it to the range when he sent it back last week. Shooting 50 rounds in magazine fed batches of 5 and 10 rounds, had only 4 out of 50 rounds stove pipe. All 50 rounds were shot with the rifle in a HORIZONTAL POSITION and SLAM FIRED! If I had made all 50 reloads @ 1.575 COL instead of varied lengths that I tested - 1.565 to 1.60 ... they all would have chambered - fired and ejected IMHO. I'll lay out money that there is no lever rifle designed with a carrier lifter and guides that can be shot slam fired in a horizontal position - out of the box

I can honestly say, my Taurus C45 is now a ... Lightning Thunderbolt!

Four Fingers of Death
07-13-2011, 12:41 AM
WOW! They really rock when tuned don't they? I've always fancied a Lightning, I must try and get one of these rifles. getting it tuned by the master will be an issue. With shipping, etc to and fro, it will probably end up costing as much as the rifle.

Throckmorton
07-17-2011, 02:40 PM
they make a good fence post .