PDA

View Full Version : heat treat reverse?

XWrench3
07-11-2011, 06:41 PM
i just had a thought, of course AFTER [smilie=b: i did it. 2 weeks ago, i cast up a large lot of lino / w.w. [70%w.w., 30%lino] alloy and water dropped them to harden them. then today, i "oven tempered" (softened?) them by pan lubing them @ 300 degrees. they were in the oven about 20 minutes total. then i removed them to air cool. i do not have a brinell tester, so i would like some opinions. did i soften them up appreciably by pan lubeing them? these 350g ranch dog gas checked boolits will be fired out of my 45/70 marlin anywhere between 1300 and 2000fps.

and just for the record, no, i do not have any fillings to shake loose! lol.:kidding:

jerry_from_ct
07-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Sounds like your in the " ball-park'

The member who sells Isotope lead has a great "test out " for heating and hardness, your in spec.

jerry_from_ct
07-11-2011, 06:47 PM
and just for the record, no, i do not have any fillings to shake loose! lol.:kidding:

Lucky you,,,,,,,,Missed the whole "Fluoride" thing, Ehh.

You need to post some results, being a CT. Boy/Man and living under the specter of those Marlins are "Twisted" Too slow, your input could be Legendary, the eyes of the World are on you................

bhn22
07-11-2011, 07:20 PM
It's called "annealing". You may be okay, but I would have let them heat up longer.

PacMan
07-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Veral Smiths book says that 50% lino and 50% ww will soften to approx. 18 bhn after 1 hr. at 350 deg. and cooled slowley in the oven. Now i dont know what the age harding bhn is for your mix but he states that the alloy will return to that hardness after approx. two weeks.

So without a tester it is hard to say.

RobS
07-11-2011, 11:26 PM
I can't tell you for sure what you have there but putting them in at 400 degrees for an hour and left to cool will get you back to square one. I've done this many times with straight WW alloy boolits that were water quenched that I had intended to use for higher pressures but changed my mind. It will be very hard for anyone to know for sure because not having certified alloy means it can all be a bit different.

I know with my WW alloy that I can bring a water quenced WW alloy down to 18 BHN at 260 degrees in my oven. Yep even ovens are different.

XWrench3
07-12-2011, 04:19 PM
It's called "annealing". You may be okay, but I would have let them heat up longer.

i was hoping that they did not loose much of their hardness. this is the first time i have pan lubed in a long time. mostly because i don't like the mess. when i was doing it before, it was on pistol boolits from straight w.w. alloy, and i didn't mind them softening up a little.